QB question re: Richt at Georgia

Richt never started a true freshman at QB. I'm not saying he never will but all you have to know is he started a crappy Joe Tereshinski over Matt Stafford. Shockley was Richt's first recruit and he still went with a redshirt freshman in David Greene.

Didn't Aaron Murray start all 4 years?

Advertisement
Dummies use the "he's Rick's guy" in a flimsy attempt to justify their dopey opinion that Perry has some sort of pre-ordained lead in the QB battle.

Rick is a super competitive guy. He's going to start the guy he thinks can help him win the most games this year. Period. End of story. I'd put the chances of Perry beginning the season as the starting QB at 5% unless we lose a couple QBs to injury.

To be fair, it was Pete that said this.

He wasn't saying he's going to give the job to him, but he did say Rick HOPES Perry comes in and wins it.

Dummies use the "he's Rick's guy" in a flimsy attempt to justify their dopey opinion that Perry has some sort of pre-ordained lead in the QB battle.

Rick is a super competitive guy. He's going to start the guy he thinks can help him win the most games this year. Period. End of story. I'd put the chances of Perry beginning the season as the starting QB at 5% unless we lose a couple QBs to injury.

To be fair, it was Pete that said this.

He wasn't saying he's going to give the job to him, but he did say Rick HOPES Perry comes in and wins it.

We all "hope" Perry comes in and blows everyone out of the water. That would mean he's a savant and that he's instantly way better than a couple good prospects. That would be great for UM.

However, I think Rick's hopes for Perry have morphed into a bunch of dudes thinking he's going to walk in and take the gig on opening day or somehow start off with an advantage that he won't actually have.

Advertisement
Dudes just want to see the new toy. The least mentioned as a starter in CIS is Rosier and he's the most likely to start.

Shockley just wasn't as good as his hype, so he couldn't beat out Greene, but he did have a good Senior Year.

Stafford was the starter the 2nd half of 2006, but only after Georgia lost to Tenn & Vandy, and it became a more "play for the future" type season.

I think if it were pretty even between Perry all QB's, being "Richt's Guy" definitely works in favor of Perry, but isn't necessarily the deciding factor. I think if it stays pretty even, Richt will at least start the season with "the QB who makes the least mistakes".

Richt has already said Weldon is the 3rd string QB, so I doubt Perry is going to come in and win the job in 4 weeks.

Advertisement
The QB decision is almost certainly going to be made in the context of being paired with what may be one of the best defenses in the nation.

We have a chance to win meaningful games next year. Playing the guy who gives you the best chance right now also helps keep the rest of the team inspired.

The QB decision is almost certainly going to be made in the context of being paired with what may be one of the best defenses in the nation.

We have a chance to win meaningful games next year. Playing the guy who gives you the best chance right now also helps keep the rest of the team inspired.

Plus if you end up starting a true freshman and staying with him all season. You will have most if not all of the older QB's transfer. If the Freshman is the best then I say play him, but if not you redshirt him and go with the upper classmen.

Advertisement
I'm actually warming up to the idea of rosier starting.

Guess he has surprised me this spring. But then again
. Well see

The only thing i think U must remember is that today we are using a spread offense vs then they were strictly a Pro offense........therefore today Shockley would probably be the guy and Greene would be watching....
One of the common themes I keep hearing when people discuss the starting QB position at UM for next season is that Richt is more likely to go with a guy like Perry because Perry is "Richt's guy" (i.e. because Richt recruited him, he is more likely to be in Richt's plans).

But I was wondering for anyone who followed Georgia back in the day whether they can give more background on the David Greene/DJ Shockley dynamic. From what I recall, Shockley was a BIG-TIME recruit and Richt's first QB recruit ... but he proceeded to receive nothing more than spot duty over the next four years while David Greene set all kinds of win records. Shockley then started for one season afterward and was still pretty good, as I recall.

Obviously, Richt will go with the best player, period -- as I think his willingness to play freshmen last season showed.

Advertisement

Plus if you end up starting a true freshman and staying with him all season. You will have most if not all of the older QB's transfer. If the Freshman is the best then I say play him, but if not you redshirt him and go with the upper classmen.

That's amazingly insightful....

I've said from the jump there's no way in **** Perry gets the starting job day one. If he's that good he can work his way in slowly. I think they'll start the season rotating Rosier and Shireffs. Something just seems off with the whole Allison thing.

If none of the QB's separate themselves, including Perry, I think Rosier should get the nod. He is the only QB with real game experience in college and he's been running the system for two years. Plus, I believe that it will keep Allison from transferring and will keep Artur Sitkowski engaged as well knowing that he has a legitimate chance to compete for the starting gig in 2018.

He may not start Day One, but if he's as good as he looks I believe he will start games this year.

Advertisement
Back