Pump the brakes???

Stupid title and original post. People kill me with this bullsh!t that unless a new staff wins it all in their very first season it's a bust. Its just setting the stage to take a dump on the program if Mario doesn't. No top coach in history has ever done that but it better happen here this coming season or else? This mentality is a big part of what's wrong with many so called fans. Neg me all yall want but this **** needs to stop.
I am not putting this on the staff, I am saying there’s not a need to “temper” expectations.
Look at the other thread where people are guessing our record. Do you really think 8-4 is a success? Does that scream better coached than Diaz and crew? I suppose it’s an improvement, but I think elite coaching can mask a lot of deficiencies. I think the ACC is not an amazing conference and I think these coaches are elite.

So I’m not willing to neuter expectations just because I’m afraid to be wrong. I think if we don’t eliminate losing that token game or two that we shouldn’t then we haven’t eliminated the root problem with this program. I think this staff will eliminate that issue.

Advertisement
s0toqeB.jpg

I don’t Fvckibg think so!!!

I wanna know right now why we can’t win the ACC this yr? Clemson took a big step backwards last year and lost both OC and DC. Who by the way are pretty **** good.

UNC and Pitt lose their top tier QBs. Are we concerned about Wake? Va Tech? UVA? I mean who is it?

We have the best staff in the conference.
We return the best QB (IMO)
We will add a couple pieces on D.
We just pumped the overall talent level up a notch or two.
We have coaches that we KNOW can coach dudes up. Like guys get better under these coaches, there’s not speculation there’s previous results.

I just cannot help but think we can win this conference this year. I am balls deep, jacked up on mtn dew, all In, whatever analogy you wanna use, I’m it. I cannot wait to see the transformation YEAR 1! Be ready.
Miami is #1 in off-season hype.

Good moves made but let’s wait till some actual football is played before we crown them

Advertisement
o line sucks
lb's non-existent
corners meh
safeties meh but can be good
dline who do we even have again?

so basically half the team is a joke
Wrong..

That "sucky" oline protected TVD enough last year to be one of the best QBs in the country. They're good enough to win the Coastal.
LBs.. maybe suck. Maybe coaching. Maybe scheme.. But we have some talent there.
Safeties are good. Can be elite.
Corners we're good with Stevenson..hopefully one of blades, couch, Ivey, or one of the young guys can step up with a change of coaching/scheme.

Dline is a concern. Especially depth.

The coastal is arguably the worst division in the P5. That's why despite our poor coaching for the last 17 years we've still been the preseason favorites to win it a majority of the time. It's not just our fans expectations but media as well. It's not so much about how good we are but moreso how bad the coastal is.

Clemson, for all they lost, were a **** good defensive team last year. As good as anyone not named Georgia and just a step below. They just didn't have the offense.

We should be in every game and there is sure to be growing pains. I expect a fundamentally more sound team, but we may lack the horse at certain positions to win the conference.
Exactly. We aren’t good enough on the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. That alone will keep teams in games with us.

This is a process and we still don’t have the roster.

I wanna know right now why we can’t win the ACC this yr? Clemson took a big step backwards last year and lost both OC and DC. Who by the way are pretty **** good.

UNC and Pitt lose their top tier QBs. Are we concerned about Wake? Va Tech? UVA? I mean who is it?

We have coaches that we KNOW can coach dudes up. Like guys get better under these coaches, there’s not speculation there’s previous results.

I just cannot help but think we can win this conference this year. I am balls deep, jacked up on mtn dew, all In, whatever analogy you wanna use, I’m it. I cannot wait to see the transformation YEAR 1! Be ready.
You make a strong point.

Ah the off-season. Where mopes become fan boys only to return to mope city during the season.
This sort of nonsense is why they mope so hard. Now a loss to a much deeper Clempson team will be a season-ruining failure. After all, they took a big step back.

Advertisement
This sort of nonsense is why they mope so hard. Now a loss to a much deeper Clempson team will be a season-ruining failure. After all, they took a big step back.
It’s the board being the board being the board.

We haven’t been very good. Still had high expectations…

So you don’t think we should expect to win the coastal? Like really? Who is then?
Seriously. If not for some of the worst D we have ever seen, we EASILY win the Coastal last year. We should have won it anyway. No excuses in 2022. You don't double coaching salary to get the same results. Now I don't think we'll be in high gear in year one, and no one should expect that. However, we CAN be better than we were last year, and that sure as **** isn't asking too much. Factor in UNC and Pitt losing their QBs...

The only way I am ok with NOT winning the Coastal is if we go 11-1 and our only loss is to an undefeated team. But really, does anyone expect anyone in the Coastal to be that good? I don't. I can see the winner being a 2-4 loss team, and there's no reason for us not to be on top when the dust settles. Our O should be good. I won't say improved, because it's a new system. I expect some hiccups. However, I expect it to be very solid. I expect our D to take a big step up, which will take pressure off the O.

So, it's time to do what we all know we should do. Win the **** Coastal, and let every other Coastal team say, "We can still win the Coastal", three weeks into the season. I'm **** sure tired of saying it.

They could have easily been 10-2 last year. It’s not that the team is that good, yet. It’s that the competition is not that good. This staff should get them to the ACCCG. It will be interesting to see how Clemson looks this year.

It's all possible, but any "pump the brakes" chatter is in regards to those who will make that the benchmark for a successful year—followed by turning on Mario if that isn't delivered year one.

This fan base has a way of setting what it feels is the "expectation" and when it's not met, they fast turn on whoever is in charge.

Miami could easily win the ACC this year—thought it probably means they'll have to beat Clemson twice to do so.

All this "took a step back" stuff—a bit overblown for a squad that went 10-3—losing to the eventual national champs in the opener. an OT loss at NC State and at Pitt, before ratting off a six-game win-streak to end the year (and beating the brakes off eventual Atlantic Division champs Wake Forest, 48-27.)

Tigers promoted from within and have Streeter and Goodwin staying the course. The loss of Venables is huge, but a safe bet Goodwin keeps running that defense—while Scott / Elliott weren't exactly big names or powerhouse hires. They succeeded with the Tigers and parlayed it into head coaching gigs.

Streeter will do just fine and DJ Uiagalelei will rebound this year; 5-Star baller who had an off-year—kid has the chops and will work hard this off-season to make up for last year's faceplant.

Miami should legit be 9-1—and no worse than 8-2—when it heads to Death Valley on November 19th. On paper, the only loss should be aTm—but this program has found the way to **** away winnable ACC games every year since 2004 (and Mario is known for his annual hiccup at Oregon where a lesser Pac-12 team beat the Ducks on any given week.)

All that to say, been a while since the Canes had an elite quarterback—which is the ultimate key to success—and Miami finding a way to up it's game as a program all-together between now and September—no issue raising the bar (especially with some Portal success in the coming months.)

I just refuse to be out on Cristobal after one year if he doesn't win the ACC in 2022—and we know good-and-****-well some clowndick fans will absolutely start case-building against him if that's how it plays out. First loss and the wheels will be off for those numbnuts.

Advertisement
Stupid title and original post. People kill me with this bullsh!t that unless a new staff wins it all in their very first season it's a bust. Its just setting the stage to take a dump on the program if Mario doesn't. No top coach in history has ever done that but it better happen here this coming season or else? This mentality is a big part of what's wrong with many so called fans. Neg me all yall want but this **** needs to stop.
What about Dennis the Menace?
Circa 1989..

Advertisement
I would pump the brakes here. There is still a talent gap between us and Clemson which is not closing overnight. We have not even gotten over the hump vs. UNC, which is recruiting about as well as we are over the last two cycles. If we win the state of Florida or the Coastal next year, I'll take that. Year 2, we win both. Year 3, we win the ACC. In my mind, that's a reasonable set of goals. If we overperform that, I will be happy to come back and confess to being a mope.

Clemson’s big step back was still a 10 win season. We lack depth especially on defense. A couple of bad injuries and we are in trouble. The overall hope is our offense can carry us here but we aren’t that good. We have some pretty good pieces though and we should still win the Coastal but I don’t know about the ACC
Clemson is wounded and bleeding right now. They have talent on both sides of the ball, but lack experience and great coordinators. Yeah they were a 10 win team last season, but without veneables that's a 7 win team easily. The guy replacing BV is nowhere near his level of coordinator. I expect Miami to keep it a close game if not win outright.

I am not putting this on the staff, I am saying there’s not a need to “temper” expectations.
Look at the other thread where people are guessing our record. Do you really think 8-4 is a success? Does that scream better coached than Diaz and crew? I suppose it’s an improvement, but I think elite coaching can mask a lot of deficiencies. I think the ACC is not an amazing conference and I think these coaches are elite.

So I’m not willing to neuter expectations just because I’m afraid to be wrong. I think if we don’t eliminate losing that token game or two that we shouldn’t then we haven’t eliminated the root problem with this program. I think this staff will eliminate that issue.
Im not talking about a record, Im not talking about losi games we should win Im talking about precisely what I said this win it all or burn down the program attitude. Jimmy, Saban, Carroll and maynorhwr top coaches never did this. Somebody mentioned Dennis Erickson but let's be real he inherited a gold mine not a program in need of as many changes as it does now. MAJOR false equivalency. Like I said it's just setting stage to trash all things Miami if it doesn't happen.

Advertisement
Back