Prototype Prospects

Good topic. IMO there are a few to mention at most positions. I'll put my first choice first, others just noted. I think the only hands-down no brainer nothing to discuss is CB (it's peterson, EOS).

OL, if you go back to Pace, he's a no brainer. Since then, Seantrel, Adams (OSU), Eugene Monroe.

WR: Derrick Williams, Harvin, Green-Beckham. Next group would include P. Turner, Watkins, maybe Doucet.

TE: Olsen, Bennett

RB, it's AP, Frank Gore and, IMO, Duke J.

QB, Kyle Wright was the prototype. Also Pryor, Vince Young, Clausen

DT: Big Daddy Wilkinson (if you go way back). Since then, McCoy, Ngata, Harris

DE, Peppers, Clowney, Derrick Harvey

LB, Arrington, Sims, Willis, Burfict

S: Gibson, S. Taylor, E. Berry, M. Rolle

CB:IMO, at CB it's Patrick Peterson and it's not close. *Next would be Ginn.

Obviously some special guys aren't on the list because of grades or other issues. Bright, e.g. (best DL prospect i've seen, sadly). Hester. Vick. Devine. Moss.

Advertisement
LOL! **** cowboycane. Good one. Sure I will play..And this is just strictly off what they showed in HS as prospects right? Because some people are gonna jump me after they see my order...

1. Patrick Peterson - Nuff has been said about him.
2. Marcus Forston - Im sorry. But I just knew after seeing him live 4 times in HS that he was gonna be our saviour on the dline. Cant believe how he turned out. Smh.
3. AP
4. Clowney
5. AJ
6. Seantrel
7. Christian Jones
8. Kenny Phillips
9. KW
10. Jermaine Gresham

(Go ahead...Negg me to death for putting Forston at #2. My body is ready..Lol.)

My Top 5:

1.) Wright - QB is the most important position
2.) Forston
3.) Clowney
4.) AP
5. )Trel

The question I always have that kind of piggybacks this one is, let's say you have one scholarship left in your class and you have the following players on hold:

QB - Kyle Wright
RB - Adrian Peterson
TE - Jermaine Gresham / O.J. Howard
WR - A.J. Green
OL - Seantrel Henderson
DE - Jadeveon Clowney
DT - Marcus Forston
LB - Christian Jones
CB - Patrick Johnson
S - Kenny Phillips

You cannot back out of anyone else's scholarship and you have equal needs at each position. This is without knowing knowing what these guys will do at the next level, just as high school prospects. What is your hierarchy?
Here's my view: generally, go by positions that are critical (DT, QB) and super-special > special.

As i'd order this, i never liked forston that much even before he got to UM. Didnt think he wouldnt be good but didnt think he belonged on this list. So while i value DT highly, he aint the guy for me. Also, S isn't a high priority spot and KP was good but not amazing, IMO. So, pass there. Also, TE -- pass, nfw you take a TE on that list.

OL are too hard to project. Have to pass unless it was orlando pace on the list.

Re Jones at LB, he wasnt that special, and LB isnt as high a priority as some other spots, so pass.

Re Green, great prospect, but not great enough and WR isnt the spot i go for on this list. Pass.

Re Clowney, he's is an amazing prospect, but i wouldnt think DE is the spot you take here, and he wasn't a better prospect than my final 3.

PJ/PP comes in third. Best CB prospect i've ever seen, but the position holds him back relative to my final 2.

Wright for me comes in second. I could see saying take him first. Importance of QB is obvious. Risk is it's harder to project QBs.

I take Adrian Peterson all day, every day, because he's the one guy on the list (or two with pj/pp) who i think was clearly a once in a generation guy. Not a once a decade guy. Best RB proect since Bo. Maybe best ever. A guy you could look at and say Canton, should be. Not could be. Not possibly. Should be. Now will be. Maybe best RB prospect ever. More special than any of these guys.

Last edited:
The question I always have that kind of piggybacks this one is, let's say you have one scholarship left in your class and you have the following players on hold:

QB - Kyle Wright
RB - Adrian Peterson
TE - Jermaine Gresham / O.J. Howard
WR - A.J. Green
OL - Seantrel Henderson
DE - Jadeveon Clowney
DT - Marcus Forston
LB - Christian Jones
CB - Patrick Johnson
S - Kenny Phillips

You cannot back out of anyone else's scholarship and you have equal needs at each position. This is without knowing knowing what these guys will do at the next level, just as high school prospects. What is your hierarchy?
Here's my view: generally, go by positions that are critical (DT, QB) and super-special > special.

As i'd order this, i never liked forston that much even before he got to UM. Didnt think he wouldnt be good but didnt think he belonged on this list. So while i value DT highly, he aint the guy for me. Also, S isn't a high priority spot and KP was good but not amazing, IMO. So, pass there. Also, TE -- pass, nfw you take a TE on that list.

OL are too hard to project. Have to pass unless it was orlando pace on the list.

Re Jones at LB, he wasnt that special, and LB isnt as high a priority as some other spots, so pass.

Re Green, great prospect, but not great enough and WR isnt the spot i go for on this list. Pass.

Re Clowney, he's is an amazing prospect, but i wouldnt think DE is the spot you take here, and he wasn't a better prospect than my final 3.

PJ/PP comes in third. Best CB prospect i've ever seen, but the position holds him back relative to my final 2.

Wright for me comes in second. I could see saying take him first. Importance of QB is obvious. Risk is it's harder to project QBs.

I take Adrian Peterson all day, every day, because he's the one guy on the list (or two with pj/pp) who i think was clearly a once in a generation guy. Not a once a decade guy. Best RB proect since Bo. Maybe best ever. A guy you could look at and say Canton, should be. Not could be. Not possibly. Should be. Now will be. Maybe best RB prospect ever. More special than any of these guys.

Great post. I was using those names more as references to "prototypes" than as the players themselves...if you wanted to sub in Ngata or Suh for Forston, for example, it would have been fine for what I was trying to do. That being said, your point is well received...take the most special player, regardless of position, and only THEN hone in on need. Essentially the BPA approach that good NFL teams employ.

Advertisement
Antrel Rolle is a good name for this list. He had everything you could want, on and off the field, and proved himself in Dade. No brainer, no risk.

Edit - love Ethnic's mention of Gerald McCoy. No brainer, can't miss. Tommie Harris fits, also.

He only meant guys that were known head cases coming in to school. For instance, Willie Williams would be on this list but everyone knew he was insane. Same for Callahan Bright, or Randy Moss, or whoever else.

Forston was a head case but you wouldn't have known that in 2008.

QB-Tebow/Mark Sanchez
RB-Peterson/Lattimore
WR-Green/Harvin
TE-Gronkowski/Martellus Bennett
OL-Michael Brewster/Andre Smith
DE-Clowney/Julius Peppers
DT-Eddie Golman/Fortson
LB-Tony Steward/Jon Beason
CB-Patrick Peterson/Janoris Jenkins
S-Sean Taylor/Jeff Demps

Advertisement
It's surprising to me how often WRs are No. 1 overall in their classes (d. Williams, harvin, green-beckham) or 2 (turner et al.).

Whoa! Shout out to my dude EthnicSands for bringing up some ole skool names. Big Daddy Wilkinson. I totally forgot him. I was thinking about Martelus Bennett too at TE. I wonder what kind of career he would have had here if he had stayed with us instead of us getting Dajlean Farr. (Who was the #2 TE in the country behind Bennett and jumped on the chance after MB backed out of his commitment) Obviously, Farr was a bum. Here at least. Eric Berry is a good name too.

If the K. Wright time frame is in play, I submit WR- R. Moore. Guy was big, strong, fast...from a good HS program. Great athlete (great basketball player). He was a can't miss WR who obviously missed.

Edit: & the #1 WR recruit iirc.

Advertisement
Moore wasnt a prototype like some other guys. Harvin, Derrick Williams and Green-Beckham were each No. 1 overall kids in their class. Moore wasn't even the consensus No. 1 WR, IIRC. I think he was top 2 through.

Advertisement
QB: K. Wright
RB: AP
WR: AJ Green
TE: A. Sefarian-Jenkins
OL: S. Henderson
DL: J. Clowney
LB: DJ
CB: P. Johnson
S: Sean Taylor

After K. Wright's first start against I truly thought we found a stud QB to bring us back to the pinnacle of college football, and then he got lost staring at the rush.

I forgot about DJ. He should have been 1 on my LB list. And if you want to go further back, Jesse Armstead would be right there, too.

Going back a little bit more in time - maybe most hyped QBs ever - Ron Powlus and Todd Marinovich

Advertisement
Back