Prototype Prospects

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
Here's an exercise for you.

What kid at each position would you say coming out of high school was the most perfect, can't miss, zero-risk prospect? I'm not necessarily asking about the guy with the highest ceiling, this isn't about Callahan Bright and Randy Moss. I'm talking about the guy who had the physical tools AND had the grades, had the character, had the work ethic, etc.... also, for the purpose of this exercise, no retrospective takes, either (i.e. Andrew Luck, RG3...) - guys who now seem perfect but at the time weren't so highly regarded. I'd like to limit it to guys everyone had ranked highly. Let's also limit this to the start of the internet age, so don't go back any longer than 1997 or so.

An example would be DJ Williams at linebacker - perfect athletic specimen, zero off-the-field concerns.

QB -
RB -
TE -
WR -
OL -
DE -
DT -
LB -
CB -
S -

Advertisement
QB- Aaron Murray
RB- Sony Michel
TE- Beau Sandland
WR- Andre Johnson
OL- DJ Fluker
DE- Calais Campell
DT- Vince Wilfork
LB- DJ Williams
CB- Tracy Howard
S- Sean Taylor

Advertisement
Hmmmm...good post. Something to pass the off season time. Nice. Anyways, here's a few of my thoughts...I'll probably edit later on after more thinking.

QB- Barkley
RB- W. McGahee or CJ Spiller
TE- O. Charles
WR- Andre
OL- Seantrel
DE- Clowney or Bowers
DT-
LB- K. Rivers
CB- PP
S-

QB-Matthew Stafford or Tim Tebow (in the spread)
RB- Adrian peterson
TE- Greg Olsen
WR- Andre Caldwell- AJ green
OL- NO SUCH THING AT THIS POSITION
DE-Jarvis Moss (would have said Clowney but he had grade issues)
DT-Sharrif Floyd
LB-Ernie Sims
CB- VH3
S-Matt Elam

Last edited:
Andrew Luck was a 5-star coming out of High School.

Considered a stud throughout his tenure at Stanford.

Exceeded expectations in Indy.

When was he not highly regarded?

Andrew Luck was a 5-star coming out of High School.

Considered a stud throughout his tenure at Stanford.

Exceeded expectations in Indy.

When was he not highly regarded?

Rivals had him as a 4 star, but your point is valid. I was thinking more along the lines of the guys who everyone thought was going to be a star. I know that in Texas, we knew Luck was studly, but I dont think anyone thought he was ELITE ELITE ELITE at the time, certainly not a "greatest prototype of all time" candidate.

Advertisement
NICE! I like this game! Lets see who REALLY has been following recruiting for a minute and who just started following back in 08'. LOL

QB - Terrelle Pryor (This kid was so good he got two coaches fired. RichRod for not getting him and Tressel because he got him. Rich put all his Michigan eggs in this basket. Smh)

RB - Adrian Peterson (He was the man. We had 4 RBs committed and Coker still begged AP to come on a visit. But obviously the depth chart was a little crazy.)

WR - Andre Johnson - Was the #1 WR in the country going into his SR year. Had to play QB so his "stock dropped" but he was a man child.

TE - Hmmm..tough one. I will defer. Not too many cant miss prototype TEs out there. Not really a glamour position in HS.

OL - Orlando Pace - Maybe I went back to far but he was as cant miss as they come. Started as a True OSU and DOMINATED all 3 years.

DE - Julious Peppers - Manchild in HS and College and Pros.

LB - Lavar Arrington - We were actually close to getting him. But after Marlin Barnes was killed that changed everything. Parents were terrified to send there kids here. He even admitted as such while at PSU.

DB - Patrick Peterson - Was the man in HS and if he had went to St. Thomas like he was supposed to would have been a Broward legend.

S - Derrick Gibson - Almost had a heart attack when he committed to FSU. This board would have shut down big time if it had been around on that day.

K - Sebastian Gonkowski - They said buddy kicked a 70 yarder in HS. LOL. Wont ever be a kicker as good as him in HS or college. EVER.

I don't know if Terrelle Pryor fits... wasn't he a total diva during the process? IDK about Peterson fitting either... obviously the athleticism is a no-brainer, but his recruitment had some shady stuff rumored.

QB - Cam Newton
RB - Adrian Peterson
TE - Jimmy Graham
WR - Andre Johnson
OL - Chance Warmack
DE - Jadeveon Clowney
DT - Vince Wilfork
LB - Patrick Willis
CB - Patrick Peterson
S - Sean Taylor

Advertisement
I don't know if Terrelle Pryor fits... wasn't he a total diva during the process? IDK about Peterson fitting either... obviously the athleticism is a no-brainer, but his recruitment had some shady stuff rumored.

he waited until after NSD and I still dont think QB was his best position

QB - Kyle Wright
RB - Adrian Peterson
TE - Jermaine Gresham / O.J. Howard
WR - A.J. Green
OL - Seantrel Henderson
DE - Jadeveon Clowney
DT - Marcus Forston
LB - Christian Jones
CB - Patrick Johnson
S - Kenny Phillips

Advertisement
I have seen Sean's name a few times on here. Sean was not highly rated out of HS. He was a local legend but not nationally known. IIRC buddy was a 3 star! He definitley was not a top 100 guy out of HS. That is a fact.

The question I always have that kind of piggybacks this one is, let's say you have one scholarship left in your class and you have the following players on hold:

QB - Kyle Wright
RB - Adrian Peterson
WR - A.J. Green
OL - Seantrel Henderson
DE - Jadeveon Clowney
DT - Marcus Forston
LB - Christian Jones
CB - Patrick Johnson
S - Kenny Phillips

You cannot back out of anyone else's scholarship and you have equal needs at each position. This is without knowing knowing what these guys will do at the next level, just as high school prospects. What is your hierarchy?

LOL! **** cowboycane. Good one. Sure I will play..And this is just strictly off what they showed in HS as prospects right? Because some people are gonna jump me after they see my order...

1. Patrick Peterson - Nuff has been said about him.
2. Marcus Forston - Im sorry. But I just knew after seeing him live 4 times in HS that he was gonna be our saviour on the dline. Cant believe how he turned out. Smh.
3. AP
4. Clowney
5. AJ
6. Seantrel
7. Christian Jones
8. Kenny Phillips
9. KW
10. Jermaine Gresham

(Go ahead...Negg me to death for putting Forston at #2. My body is ready..Lol.)

The question I always have that kind of piggybacks this one is, let's say you have one scholarship left in your class and you have the following players on hold:

QB - Kyle Wright
RB - Adrian Peterson
WR - A.J. Green
OL - Seantrel Henderson
DE - Jadeveon Clowney
DT - Marcus Forston
LB - Christian Jones
CB - Patrick Johnson
S - Kenny Phillips

You cannot back out of anyone else's scholarship and you have equal needs at each position. This is without knowing knowing what these guys will do at the next level, just as high school prospects. What is your hierarchy?

That's an excellent list for this exercise. Says a lot.

Advertisement
Back