Prop Plane Nation

While I agree the time has passed on Morris, it is going to be very, very difficult for this program to succeed going forward as a private school with the scholarship limitations of baseball.

I am just curious how did Vandy do it.

Vanderbilt does needs based scholarships.

Huh

Grades and need and they dip into an endowment fund to work the numbers. This is what Stanford and especially what the Ivy League schools do.

Advertisement
While I agree the time has passed on Morris, it is going to be very, very difficult for this program to succeed going forward as a private school with the scholarship limitations of baseball.

Huh

Grades and need and they dip into an endowment fund to work the numbers. This is what Stanford and especially what the Ivy League schools do.

I said "huh" because what you posted wasn't clear. Did you mean "Vanderbilt does NEED based scholarships"?

I am not trying to be a jerk but I didn't understand. As for the "reasoning" it is trivial. The primary reason is that Vanderbilt is having more success because they're better coached.

Also, we could do the same thing if we wanted to to make it work but that would require spending on athletics and a competent AD.

Every university gives need-based scholarships. That isn't unique to Vandy, Stanford, and the Ivy League schools. No one pays full sticker price anywhere, especially kids who go to $60,000-per-year schools and whose parents aren't millionaires. With just a little bit of effort we should be able to find ten new freshmen each year who can make it work without having to rely on the local travel ball teams to recommend players.

The sooner some of you realize that lazy recruiting is our biggest enemy, the sooner you will understand why we're in this position.

I am not trying to be a jerk but I didn't understand. As for the "reasoning" it is trivial. The primary reason is that Vanderbilt is having more success because they're better coached.

Yup. Better recruiting and better development. It's not an accident that Vandy has a first round pitcher every single year while we continue to send out lefties who throw 81.

Huh

I said "huh" because what you posted wasn't clear. Did you mean "Vanderbilt does NEED based scholarships"?

Also, we could do the same thing if we wanted to to make it work but that would require spending on athletics and a competent AD.

Whether you like it or not the fact of the matter is Morris is going to be allowed to retire on his own terms. And they are not going to fire him after two world series appearances despite the fact that the team is awful this year. Tim Corbin is terrific and I wish Miami would follow their model. Where I do agree is they need to conduct a national search for Jim's replacement. Going with Dimare is a mistake similar to going with Brad Kelley.

Advertisement

Huh

Whether you like it or not the fact of the matter is Morris is going to be allowed to retire on his own terms. And they are not going to fire him after two world series appearances despite the fact that the team is awful this year. Tim Corbin is terrific and I wish Miami would follow their model. Where I do agree is they need to conduct a national search for Jim's replacement. Going with Dimare is a mistake similar to going with Brad Kelley.

None of that was my point. My point was that the real issue or the main issue is "coaching". The reason Vandy is having success or more success than us (considering their a private school too) is because of coaching.

None of that was my point. My point was that the real issue or the main issue is "coaching". The reason Vandy is having success or more success than us (considering their a private school too) is because of coaching.

Yes, Corbin is terrific. But also Vanderbilt uses its endowment well. Just curious what are the numbers Miami loses to the high school draft?

Yes, Corbin is terrific. But also Vanderbilt uses its endowment well. Just curious what are the numbers Miami loses to the high school draft?

If you're going to lose those kids, which it happens, why not take different kids.

As for the bold part, I don't know how they use their endowment but private schools can have success. It isn't the fact that we're a private school that is preventing us from having success.

If you're going to lose those kids, which it happens, why not take different kids.

As for the bold part, I don't know how they use their endowment but private schools can have success. It isn't the fact that we're a private school that is preventing us from having success.

Has Graham gotten worse as a baseball coach at Rice? They haven't been to the World Series since 2008. How about Marquess at Stanford? Yes, Corbin has been to the World Series 3 times in the last 6 years and won it in 2014 and runner up in 2015.

It's not like Miami hasn't had success the last 3 seasons. Success has always been measured by getting to Omaha. That being said it's the fact that Miami is awful right now this year. Again, Morris is retiring. It's time. We both can agree on that one.

Advertisement
Rice has been replaced in that region by TCU and Baylor, two more private schools.

And can we please stop using the abysmal Omaha trips as evidence of success? Both trips were gifts and we were immediately exposed both times once we got there.

Think this program has totally bottomed out with Morris this season. Going to take a major rebuild to make it good again, just like football. Love how this **** university always drags its feet with these bum coaches until the situation becomes totally FUBAR before they make a move to repair things.

Rice has been replaced in that region by TCU and Baylor, two more private schools.

And can we please stop using the abysmal Omaha trips as evidence of success? Both trips were gifts and we were immediately exposed both times once we got there.

They were no more gifts than most regions we have hosted over the past 40 years. How many Omaha trips has Miami made without hosting a region? And now without hosting a super regional? TCU has had a nice run, but they haven't gotten out of their bracket. Baylor hasn't been to Omaha since 2005.

Morris has certainly exceeded his shelf life. You can drone on and on, but he is going to be allowed to retire. The issue I have is Gino hasn't earned the job.

Last edited:

They were no more gifts than most regions we have hosted over the past 40 years. How many Omaha trips has Miami made without hosting a region? And now without hosting a super regional? TCU has had a nice run, but they haven't gotten out of their bracket. Baylor hasn't been to Omaha since 2005.

Morris has certainly exceeded his shelf life. You can drone on and on, but he is going to be allowed to retire. The issue I have is Gino hasn't earned the job.

Yes, that and what happens if he doesn't do well as the HC?
How does the school fire him when his dad happens to be a major contributor to UM athletics?
Very lazy and poor decision by our AD if he was the one who made that call.

Advertisement

Of course they were gifts. Do you realize that in the last two post-seasons, we have not even had to play a #1 or #2 seed in the Regional OR Super Regional rounds? That is unprecedented. Every single win (and two losses......) is against a #3 or #4 seed. Gifts.

I'll drone on and on about Morris because I was right about him several years ago but the cheerleaders insisted that everything is fine. You people have no more foresight than does our athletic director.

Of course they were gifts. Do you realize that in the last two post-seasons, we have not even had to play a #1 or #2 seed in the Regional OR Super Regional rounds? That is unprecedented. Every single win (and two losses......) is against a #3 or #4 seed. Gifts.

I'll drone on and on about Morris because I was right about him several years ago but the cheerleaders insisted that everything is fine. You people have no more foresight than does our athletic director.

Who is droning on that everything is fine?

Advertisement

Who is droning on that everything is fine?

No one, and I didn't make that claim. Go back and read it again so you can understand what I was saying.

Advertisement
Back