Proof of Randomness in College Baseball

Also, our main competition are the Florida schools, with ~$12,000 in tuition versus UM's $44,000. That does not take the Florida scholarships, and other Southern scholarships, into account. Also, look at the data on parent's pre-paying for the Florida state school system. His claim that it costs $26,000 to attend Florida schools is ANOTHER bald faced lie.

This is a huge disadvantage that eviscerated the GREATEST NCAA baseball program of all time - USC with FOURTEEN titles. They have been to the World Series 2x in the past 20-years.

Guy is understandably bitter, but the UM of 1994 is not the UM of today. He litters the Board with invective about an institution I adore. Heck, we lived 10-blocks away from it growing up. We were not allowed to apply there, but we are its ardent fans till the end.

Can only speak from my families experience. My son played baseball in HS. Was offered a scholarship to a school that was $36K per year. His offer was $20K per year.

So perhaps the 11.7 scholarship payout from UM is far greater than our in-state public institution rivals, meaning we can somewhat be competitive in tuition because our scholarship value is higher (also, if a student is bright enough, are academic scholarships available here as well?). Combine it with a powerhouse baseball program and a topnotch staff and if can be attractive. However, if you have a disinterest coach, with a lame duck coach in waiting, combined with high tuition it is a recipe for people wondering whatever happened to the once powerful UM baseball team.

For some the money will be an issue, but in general it is an excuse to deflect underperformance of the staff. Rationalize how you will, but UM baseball should never field a team as poor as the team that played this past season.

Actually not. If you are a bright kid, that qualifies for bright futures, AND gets a scholarship offer from a state program, you will pay significantly less out of pocket than a similar kid that is offered by Miami. Yes, you can qualify for academic aid, but that means you will have to be in the top tier academically, and those standards are rising yearly. Once upon a time, a 1200 Verbal+Math SAT score guaranteed that you would get some money from the University. That isn't the case anymore. If you are really, and I mean really financially disadvantaged, you may qualify for some federal assistance, but even then,you would qualify for that same assistance at a state school, which is cheaper to begin with.

Advertisement
Morris deserves better from this fan base. Guy produced for 20+ years, in a game that's harder to win than any other. I will continue to show gratitude, turn on Canes Baseball and continue to support for years to come

He no longer can win at this level. It's obvious. He's had two good years in a decade. That's more than fair to him. I appreciate what he did for the program in his prime. But it's time for him to retire or move on to a lesser program where the standards are not as high.

Apparently it is all or nothing with certain posters.

No idea why an appreciation for what Morris has done at UM AND a recognition that he has fallen off that mark cannot coexist.

UM

Also, our main competition are the Florida schools, with ~$12,000 in tuition versus UM's $44,000. That does not take the Florida scholarships, and other Southern scholarships, into account. Also, look at the data on parent's pre-paying for the Florida state school system. His claim that it costs $26,000 to attend Florida schools is ANOTHER bald faced lie.

This is a huge disadvantage that eviscerated the GREATEST NCAA baseball program of all time - USC with FOURTEEN titles. They have been to the World Series 2x in the past 20-years.

Guy is understandably bitter, but the UM of 1994 is not the UM of today. He litters the Board with invective about an institution I adore. Heck, we lived 10-blocks away from it growing up. We were not allowed to apply there, but we are its ardent fans till the end.

Can only speak from my families experience. My son played baseball in HS. Was offered a scholarship to a school that was $36K per year. His offer was $20K per year.

So perhaps the 11.7 scholarship payout from UM is far greater than our in-state public institution rivals, meaning we can somewhat be competitive in tuition because our scholarship value is higher (also, if a student is bright enough, are academic scholarships available here as well?). Combine it with a powerhouse baseball program and a topnotch staff and if can be attractive. However, if you have a disinterest coach, with a lame duck coach in waiting, combined with high tuition it is a recipe for people wondering whatever happened to the once powerful UM baseball team.

For some the money will be an issue, but in general it is an excuse to deflect underperformance of the staff. Rationalize how you will, but UM baseball should never field a team as poor as the team that played this past season.

Actually not. If you are a bright kid, that qualifies for bright futures, AND gets a scholarship offer from a state program, you will pay significantly less out of pocket than a similar kid that is offered by Miami. Yes, you can qualify for academic aid, but that means you will have to be in the top tier academically, and those standards are rising yearly. Once upon a time, a 1200 Verbal+Math SAT score guaranteed that you would get some money from the University. That isn't the case anymore. If you are really, and I mean really financially disadvantaged, you may qualify for some federal assistance, but even then,you would qualify for that same assistance at a state school, which is cheaper to begin with.

Not necessarily true. It all depends on what the school wants to offer. Perhaps you get Bright Futures, and the school knows you want to play there. They may only offer books and save money for an out of state player. UF may offer books, UM may offer 1/2 tuition. There are plenty of way to split up the money.

My example was just to show that a UM scholarship is way more valuable than a state school scholarship dollar wise. Yes, the cost at UM is much higher just like the example of my son. He would have still been out $16K plus a year had he chosen the $36K a year school.

However, UM was traditionally the best baseball school in Florida, possibly the South (East Coast). You can justify the extra cost for the coaching and exposure. However, that cannot be said for the product that was put on the field this season. Build up the brand again and it may very well be worth the extra cost.

You are talking about a $15,912 differential PER annum between UM and the Florida State schools. A player will have to fund ~$64,000 (or at minimum $48,000) MORE to attend UM. [Assuming they get a scholarship equal to 0.468, when the reality is closer to 0.25. Not to mention books.....]

The Maury's can afford it, but most cannot. If you add in Bright Lights, or if the family pre-paid tuition, then the difference becomes ~$136,000 over 3-years. That is a huge disadvantage. Only 2 private schools in the country surmounted it as well as UM since 2009....

Last edited:
So you DO care about those losses when they prevent us from moving on? Are you finally admitting that it happens to the great Jim Morris?

Of course. I've never said otherwise. You've been arguing with yourself all this time.

Look, I understand your plight and I don't hold it against you personally. You're stuck defending a guy who has gone from World Series champion to losing home regionals to completely missing the NCAA tournament.

All of his post-season success came in his first eight years. In the last 15 years he has been Mike Martin. Six CWS appearances, all of which ended up 1-2 or 0-2. A six year drought mixed in. Two home regional losses. And now, this year, the unthinkable.

He is Burt Reynolds. Burt had The Longest Yard and Evening Shade. Jim was winning CWS titles. Now both of them have older fans asking...."is that guy still alive?" Unfortunately, Jim should have moved on after 2008, and definitely after 2012, as some of us said. Instead, for the first time since 1972, we're hoping to make it back into the post-season.

Advertisement
You are talking about a $15,912 differential PER annum between UM and the Florida State schools. A player will have to fund ~$64,000 (or at minimum $48,000) MORE to attend UM. [Assuming they get a scholarship equal to 0.468, when the reality is closer to 0.25. Not to mention books.....]

The Maury's can afford it, but most cannot. If you add in Bright Lights, or if the family pre-paid tuition, then the difference becomes ~$136,000 over 3-years. That is a huge disadvantage. Only 2 private schools in the country surmounted it as well as UM since 2009....

That's why you sell your program and work hard to find the kids who are on the plus side of academics and finances. We only need 15 of them out of 125,000 senior high school baseball players. But instead of finding those kids, we bring in a light-hitting shortstop from f'ing Polk Community College who ends up quitting before the ACC tournament. Lazy and complacent.

So you DO care about those losses when they prevent us from moving on? Are you finally admitting that it happens to the great Jim Morris?

Of course. I've never said otherwise. You've been arguing with yourself all this time.

Look, I understand your plight and I don't hold it against you personally. You're stuck defending a guy who has gone from World Series champion to losing home regionals to completely missing the NCAA tournament.

All of his post-season success came in his first eight years. In the last 15 years he has been Mike Martin. Six CWS appearances, all of which ended up 1-2 or 0-2. A six year drought mixed in. Two home regional losses. And now, this year, the unthinkable.

He is Burt Reynolds. Burt had The Longest Yard and Evening Shade. Jim was winning CWS titles. Now both of them have older fans asking...."is that guy still alive?" Unfortunately, Jim should have moved on after 2008, and definitely after 2012, as some of us said. Instead, for the first time since 1972, we're hoping to make it back into the post-season.

Yep, if you took the resume of Coach Morris for the last 10 years to a major program (like UM) do you think he would be a top candidate? How about Geno? This is why UM sports is in the funk they have been in since 2001. The AD has made easy decisions. Again, thank you Coach Morris for the past, but it is time to go!

That's why you sell your program and work hard to find the kids who are on the plus side of academics and finances. We only need 15 of them out of 125,000 senior high school baseball players. But instead of finding those kids, we bring in a light-hitting shortstop from f'ing Polk Community College who ends up quitting before the ACC tournament. Lazy and complacent.

See above. There are plenty of players, great players that can afford UM. It is getting off your *** and finding the players and qualifying them. That is the part of difference between staying home or being part of about 6 other teams in the state that go to regionals.

See above. There are plenty of players, great players that can afford UM. It is getting off your *** and finding the players and qualifying them. That is the part of difference between staying home or being part of about 6 other teams in the state that go to regionals.

Especially at UF. There are some wealthy kids at UF. They aren't choosing UF because of some financial difference. They're choosing UF because they are winning AND putting kids out there in the draft. Their parents can afford UM, and if UM was the better program, that's where their kids would go.

Florida is a program that can have seven kids drafted in the first four rounds in 2016 and then turn around and be in the driver's seat in the CWS in 2017. That's why kids go there.

Advertisement
Funny how all of the private schools in the US can convince hundreds of thousands of kids to choose the more expensive route, but when it comes to UM baseball, it's a burden that cannot be overcome.

However, that cannot be said for the product that was put on the field this season.

Yeah. I mean there's nothing at all silly about basing your entire college choice on one single season that followed back-to-back CWS appearances.

All of his post-season success came in his first eight years. In the last 15 years he has been Mike Martin. Six CWS appearances, all of which ended up 1-2 or 0-2.

Well, since Mike Martin only has 4 CWS appearances in the last 15 years I'd say that Jim Morris and his 6 are better than that.

And think about what you just said.

So Jim Morris' down years are better than the coach with the 2nd most wins in history.

I know. What a loser, right?

Last edited:
Advertisement

Jim Morris will retire two years after back-to-back CWS appearances and top 5 finishes and yet you equate him to a guy who some think might be dead.

And what's more is that you just claimed that he should have retired at the age of 58 (2008) after winning 53 games and having the best team in the country.

Do you ever say anything that isn't silly as ****?

Advertisement
Yep, if you took the resume of Coach Morris for the last 10 years to a major program (like UM) do you think he would be a top candidate?

Only 5 coaches have more CWS appearances than Jim Morris in the last 10 years.

Do you even follow college baseball? You make tcgrad sound like Kyle Peterson.

See above. There are plenty of players, great players that can afford UM. It is getting off your *** and finding the players and qualifying them.

I love the assumption that our "fans" make that the coaches don't do this. They just sit on their *** and don't recruit at all.

And it's from people like ucanes who probably cleans toilets for a living.

He demands excellence from other people but has mediocrity in his miserable life.

Last edited:
That is the part of difference between staying home or being part of about 6 other teams in the state that go to regionals.

Yes. I mean once since 1973 we're sitting at home. We should hang all the coaches by their balls as punishment.

Advertisement
Back