Proof of Randomness in College Baseball

There you go making new arguments again. The point was that the best regular season teams of the decade also have won the most games in Omaha. Do you want to change it to Brian O'Connor's regional record?

It's all the same argument.

Brian O'Connor doesn't have an ability to win games against higher seeds. He just did that one time.

You routinely take one time events and may hay from them.

Advertisement
Yes it is. When you have a tough start and a strong finish, that's putting it all together.

Classic playing the result.

A 50-win Miami team should be ashamed for only going 1-2 in Omaha but a 44-win team that lucked out and won a fluke gets to claim that they "put it all together" at the end.

16 years of 1-2. Yes they should be ashamed.

The goal is to win it all. Or at least come close, for God's sake.

There you go making new arguments again. The point was that the best regular season teams of the decade also have won the most games in Omaha. Do you want to change it to Brian O'Connor's regional record?

It's all the same argument.

Brian O'Connor doesn't have an ability to win games against higher seeds. He just did that one time.

You routinely take one time events and may hay from them.

One guy did win against higher seeds. The other guy didn't. We want the guy who didn't.

Advertisement
Much better to go twice in nine years and win one game than three times in 14 years and win it twice.

In those same 14 years we've been there 5 times.

We all know you'd be whining if we only had 3 appearances in 14 years. No matter what we did there.

Don't even attempt to lie about that.

If you're going to say that Jim Morris is a great post-season manager, you have to include 2001. No way around it. Knocking off Virginia Commonwealth doesn't count as "great".

Sure. I count it all.

You only count certain periods that benefit you.

And you've still only been able to get Miami to as low as, what, 10th based on your standards?

Advertisement
Much better to go twice in nine years and win one game than three times in 14 years and win it twice.

In those same 14 years we've been there 5 times.

We all know you'd be whining if we only had 3 appearances in 14 years. No matter what we did there.

Don't even attempt to lie about that.

So what? They're front-loaded (04,06,08) and we haven't done well in any of the five. Again, 2 in 9 years with an early exit, or 3 in 14 years with two titles.

If you're going to say that Jim Morris is a great post-season manager, you have to include 2001. No way around it. Knocking off Virginia Commonwealth doesn't count as "great".

Sure. I count it all.

You only count certain periods that benefit you.

And you've still only been able to get Miami to as low as, what, 10th based on your standards?

So now the regular season is my standard? If you want to include the post-season, like I have to whole time, then this thing is over, because Jim Morris hasn't done anything remarkable in the last decade.

One guy did win against higher seeds. The other guy didn't. We want the guy who didn't.

He did.

Once.

Otherwise it's surrounded by several huge failures at home.

You'd make a terrible manager. Always overreacting to one-time events.

Manager as in high school team manager, or manager as in baseball head coach? Can't be sure when talking to you.

16 years isn't a one time event.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I personally value Morris' consistency. The fact that he recognized that the program was faltering and brought back DiMare was impressive.

For me, 2014 through 2016 was perfect.

Also, the logic for 2017 was sound. When Morris ventured to Omaha every other year, 4-year role players like Tomas ably combated the scholarship limitations. State schools have a 4 scholarship advantage, and in the past, players akin to Batista, Ruiz, Michelangeli, Chester and Barr played stellar ball during their final years.

There was one Figueroa twin who excelled from the moment he arrived on campus. His twin batted 0.234, but fielded like Ozzie. The Board bashed that twin mercilessly. During their Junior year, the second twin batted over 0.370. I do not remember any players regressing as bad as they did this year. Before you rant, keep in mind that most of them batted over 0.300 during the final 32 games of the year, so the coaching improved them.

Morris drew the "Joker" for the first time in 26 years. Garrido failed miserably during his last 5 years and the repercussions are still felt today.

Morris was still elite during 2014-2017. I value consistency, not a streaky team that dominates for 3-years and then does nothing during 3-4 years.

Advertisement
Back