ProCanes 2015 NFL Combine

Joe Haden ran a 4.6, hasn't stopped him from being a shutdown corner in the NFL. Some guys put up great numbers and can't play football for ****. Some guys put up **** numbers but play football great. When you spend half your time on the field back pedaling, I'm not sure how fast you ran a forty or how many reps you did on the bench matter that much.

If Gunter makes it in the NFL it will be because he studies the game, understands situations, anticipates plays and has hips to get in and out of breaks quickly. Joe Haden is great at all those things, so he's an all pro football player. Demarcus Van Dyke is not, so he is consistently in and out of work on practice squads.

The only issue is that Gunter is not as talented as either of the two you named... DVD rarely allowed a catch on him with great speed... His senior year trumps Gunter's... Joe Haden was a straight up beast... Gunter was decent...

Ahhhhh...I liked DVD and all but if he had not run that 4.28 at the combine (or whatever it was) and ran a 4.69 instead, he would not have gotten drafted AT ALL. He was solid at best his last year here. Now I don't know if Gunter is going to get drafted, but I think their careers here were about even IMO.

Don't get me wrong DVD wasn't on Haden's level and his speed was a great attribute. However he was still better than Gunter. The comparison of DVD and Haden in regards to Gunter is a bad example... He wasn't on either talent..

Reading comprehension is terrible now a days. I wasn't comparing Gunter to either of them at all. I was showing two ends of a spectrum. It was a indictment of the combine and those people who put too much stock in numbers. Nowhere did I say that Gunter was good, bad or somewhere in the middle. The point was, if a guy can play, his combine numbers won't matter. If a guy can't play, his combine numbers won't matter.

Whether Gunter ran a 4.3 or a 4.7, it only affects his draft position, it's how good he is at all the other things that will determine whether he makes it in the NFL or not. Haden is great at those other things, DVD is not. No where have I said or implied anything about where Gunter fits into that.

Advertisement
No need to get emotional in your opinion. I comprehended your entire post. All I said was that you gave a bad example. Both prospects you used as an example displayed something exceptional... Gunter does not... Haden had a pedestrian combine he was a beast... DVD had a great combine as well as solid career at UM... Gunter was okay where his film does not trump his combine performance and outside of his size his combine only confirmed his on field production as being a decent player... In addition to your claims I'll like to add some players produced decent on field results with a mediocre combine performance... That's Gunter...

Joe Haden ran a 4.6, hasn't stopped him from being a shutdown corner in the NFL. Some guys put up great numbers and can't play football for ****. Some guys put up **** numbers but play football great. When you spend half your time on the field back pedaling, I'm not sure how fast you ran a forty or how many reps you did on the bench matter that much.

If Gunter makes it in the NFL it will be because he studies the game, understands situations, anticipates plays and has hips to get in and out of breaks quickly. Joe Haden is great at all those things, so he's an all pro football player. Demarcus Van Dyke is not, so he is consistently in and out of work on practice squads.

The only issue is that Gunter is not as talented as either of the two you named... DVD rarely allowed a catch on him with great speed... His senior year trumps Gunter's... Joe Haden was a straight up beast... Gunter was decent...

I'm with you in general except your take on Gunter's last year. I think Gunter was our best corner the past 2 years. He was very quiet most of his career in a good way if you know what I mean.

Advertisement
"Phillip Dorsett was expected to perform well at the Combine, and he didn't disappoint. He began by running a 4.33, which was the second-fastest 40 time by a receiver, only behind UAB's J.J. Nelson. However, Dorsett is more than just a sprinter, as he showed off his nice hands in the drills. Dorsett's jumps (10-2 broad; 37-inch vertical) also helped his cause to be a second-round prospect.

"The tight ends at this year's Combine were a bit underwhelming. Clive Walford was an exception. He managed the fourth-fastest 40 time among tight ends with a 4.79 despite weighing in at 251. He also displayed nice hands in the field drills, so he definitely helped his cause to be a second-day pick.

"Ereck Flowers was expected to have a solid showing in Indianapolis, and he did not disappoint. He benched 37 reps despite having 34 1/2-inch arms, and that power translated in the drills. He also showed enough athleticism where teams will like to have him at left tackle. He could be the first offensive lineman off the board on April 30.

"Denzel Perryman was seen as a fringe first-round prospect heading into the NFL Combine. He could have sneaked into the opening frame with a strong showing in Indianapolis, but he didn't have one. Perryman posted a 4.78 40 with a 1.68 10-yard split, and his jumping numbers (32-inch vertical, 9-5 broad) weren't very good. His drill work wasn't pretty either. Perryman will likely be chosen in the second round." - Walterfootball.com

I will stand here now and say I was dead wrong about EFlowers. At the beginning of the year when posters were saying he was a top 10 pick, I was dumbfounded. I just didn't see it. Maybe I was looking for that "Bryant McKinnie" type dominance. Maybe he showed it and I just wasn't taking notice because we sucked so bad this year.

But props to the kid. For them to be saying he could be the first lineman off the board is a testament to his hard work.

Advertisement
"Phillip Dorsett was expected to perform well at the Combine, and he didn't disappoint. He began by running a 4.33, which was the second-fastest 40 time by a receiver, only behind UAB's J.J. Nelson. However, Dorsett is more than just a sprinter, as he showed off his nice hands in the drills. Dorsett's jumps (10-2 broad; 37-inch vertical) also helped his cause to be a second-round prospect.

"The tight ends at this year's Combine were a bit underwhelming. Clive Walford was an exception. He managed the fourth-fastest 40 time among tight ends with a 4.79 despite weighing in at 251. He also displayed nice hands in the field drills, so he definitely helped his cause to be a second-day pick.

"Ereck Flowers was expected to have a solid showing in Indianapolis, and he did not disappoint. He benched 37 reps despite having 34 1/2-inch arms, and that power translated in the drills. He also showed enough athleticism where teams will like to have him at left tackle. He could be the first offensive lineman off the board on April 30.

"Denzel Perryman was seen as a fringe first-round prospect heading into the NFL Combine. He could have sneaked into the opening frame with a strong showing in Indianapolis, but he didn't have one. Perryman posted a 4.78 40 with a 1.68 10-yard split, and his jumping numbers (32-inch vertical, 9-5 broad) weren't very good. His drill work wasn't pretty either. Perryman will likely be chosen in the second round." - Walterfootball.com

Denzel plays faster than that or atleast did at a lower weight. Anyone remember him chasing down phillip dorsett from behind in a spring game?

Advertisement

haden was 1000x better than LG & dropped mid 4.4's @ pro day, Horrible comp

Denzel plays faster than that or atleast did at a lower weight. Anyone remember him chasing down phillip dorsett from behind in a spring game?

He didn't "chase him down".

Ain't nobody chasing down Dorsett.

Advertisement

watch the spring game highlights from 2012 or 2013 and tell me what you see. i'm not staying he's as fast as dorsett. but he did show a burst that he didn't his senior year and made the tackle from behind.

watch the spring game highlights from 2012 or 2013 and tell me what you see. i'm not staying he's as fast as dorsett. but he did show a burst that he didn't his senior year and made the tackle from behind.

Some guys are workout warriors, and some guys are football warriors...Denzel is a football warrior. Did you see all those "workout warriors" the NFL Network listed as far as the fastest time in the 40 and the highest vert and the broadest jumps??? Most of the guys are not in the league anymore and you never heard of them since, while the others are dang near on their way out.

I see game film, and DP52...his game film tells me imma draft a stud. When I see Duke Johnson's game film, I see that imma draft a stud. Same thing w/ Flowers, Walford, and Dorsett. They all thrived while playing in a crappy system and w/ a crappy game day coach...so what will they do w/ the proper coaching?

I'm Canes biased, I'll admit; but honestly, Denzel was the best lb i've seen this year and I watch A LOT of NCAAF. I'm taken into consideration who coached him and what scheme he played in as well. If he played for Bama, he would've had 120 tkls and 5.5 sacks and he would be considered a guaranteed 1 round pick. Denzel dominated w/ no pass rush in from of him, and no true NT to keep him clean. I've seen him jump over a chop block, take on another block, and make the play to stop the rb from getting the first down. I've seen him go sideline to sideline decleating folks. I've seen him flip over a pile to grab a rb that weighed 230, stop his momentum from the back and tackled him for a 1/2 yard loss. A combine is not going to show that...game film will.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back