Pro Canes - 2021

Advertisement
I'm convinced there are a lot of really, really bad GM's and scouts.

I used to be friends with a guy who was the Director of Player Personnel for the 49ers. He and I used to sit and watch our kids play youth football every Saturday morning. We used to talk about various college players. After a couple years I came to realize that draft picks were as much about politics as they were player analysis.

My favorite story from those days: On the old Canestime site Mike Bakas (for those who remember him) used to do this survey prior to draft day. One of the questions was, "Who do you think will be the biggest bust in the draft?" In 2010 my answer was USC safety Taylor Mays. Sure as **** the Niners drafted him in the second round.

A few weeks after the draft I texted my buddy (on an unrelated topic) and added, "Not for nothing but my pick for biggest bust in this year's draft was Taylor Mays." He called me up and began to read me the riot act. LMAO Dude lit me up, told me I was "FCUKING NUTS."

After one season the Niners traded him for a 7th round pick. :LOL: Turns out that Taylor Mays was a super political pick that my buddy advocated for.

I used to be friends with a guy who was the Director of Player Personnel for the 49ers. He and I used to sit and watch our kids play youth football every Saturday morning. We used to talk about various college players. After a couple years I came to realize that draft picks were as much about politics as they were player analysis.

My favorite story from those days: On the old Canestime site Mike Bakas (for those who remember him) used to do this survey prior to draft day. One of the questions was, "Who do you think will be the biggest bust in the draft?" In 2010 my answer was USC safety Taylor Mays. Sure as **** the Niners drafted him in the second round.

A few weeks after the draft I texted my buddy (on an unrelated topic) and added, "Not for nothing but my pick for biggest bust in this year's draft was Taylor Mays." He called me up and began to read me the riot act. LMAO Dude lit me up, told me I was "FCUKING NUTS."

After one season the Niners traded him for a 7th round pick. :LOL: Turns out that Taylor Mays was a super political pick that my buddy advocated for.
Did you ever discuss the Mays pick after they traded him and he flamed out?
Its on thing to light someone up but I hope he at least admitted later that you were right. And to think people were comparing Mays to Sean Taylor.

Advertisement
Did you ever discuss the Mays pick after they traded him and he flamed out?
Its on thing to light someone up but I hope he at least admitted later that you were right. And to think people were comparing Mays to Sean Taylor.

He took a job with the Eagles a year later. I lost touch with him after that.

Other than Osborn, Who are our receivers in the NFL now?
* Hurns is quiet with the Fins., may not make roster
* Berrios looks likely to stick with the Jets but not get much burn.
* Benjamin is rusty and struggling in camp with the 49ers but probably makes roster.
* Dorsett probably makes the Jaguars roster, also not sure how many gameday reps he gets

Is that it?! ... Lashlee and Likens need to start pumping out some pros starting with Rambo and Harley.

Advertisement
Other than Osborn, Who are our receivers in the NFL now?
* Hurns is quiet with the Fins., may not make roster
* Berrios looks likely to stick with the Jets but not get much burn.
* Benjamin is rusty and struggling in camp with the 49ers but probably makes roster.
* Dorsett probably makes the Jaguars roster, also not sure how many gameday reps he gets

Is that it?! ... Lashlee and Likens need to start pumping out some pros starting with Rambo and Harley.
If you want to stretch things a bit - Lawrence Cager is on the Jets

Advertisement
Adrian Colbert has a nice training camp for the Patriots so far. Made some plays in passing drills.

Probably going to play Special Teams only, the safety room is a bit loaded.

Michael Jackson has been put in because Stephon Gilmore is still rehabbing from an injury. Has his ups and downs occasionally but the talk is that he has good chances to make the team due to his length and the lack of outside corners on the team.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back