Pro Canes - 2021

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium

2. Osborn continues to make strong impression
Wide receiver K.J. Osborn has drawn praise from multiple coaches of late, mostly for his strong showing in the team's offseason program.
Osborn continued his recent surge Thursday, as he hauled in a 50-yard catch from Cousins deep down the middle of the field. The wide receiver beat fellow second-year player Cameron Dantzler on the play.
Osborn's splashy play came a few feet in front of Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Greg Rousseau showing some juice

Greg Rousseau didn’t play football last season, but he hasn’t looked out of place early in training camp. We’ll learn more about him when pads come on, but he forced an errant throw from Allen with pressure and also had a sack during team drills in practice. His height and length create a lot of problems for defenses. He, A.J. Epenesa and Basham have all taken advantage of Jerry Hughes’ current absence due to a calf injury. Eric Washington now has a lot of young pieces to mold on that defensive line. Beane has said he plans to park himself near the offensive line-defensive line one-on-one drills during the first day of pads, and it’s easy to see why. These young defensive linemen look ready.

Advertisement

For Phillips, the transition is more complicated, because he has gone from playing mostly defensive end at the University of Miami to outside linebacker with the Dolphins.

“I played linebacker in high school and my second year at UCLA I played outside linebacker,” he reminded reporters Thursday. “It’s been an adjustment getting used to it again. A lot of terminology is the same, a lot of the principles are the same. It’s definitely cool.”

The move to linebacker involves dropping into pass coverage more than he did at UM.

“I love moving around; I love running,” he said. “I’m pretty good at being fluid and moving my hips around. It’s something I’m working on. It’s not new to me, but something I haven’t done in a long time. It’s exciting.”

“I can’t help but be happy sitting in the meeting room and seeing Hard Rock in the background,” he said. “It literally blows my mind to this day…

“I got a house, I got a cat, I got my girlfriend. I spend a lot more time up north [Hollywood, where he now lives]. I like it a lot up here. It’s a lot more open, easier to get around.”

Teammates ask him for restaurant ideas: “They call me Mr. 305.” (Phillips and veteran receiver Allen Hurns are the only former Hurricanes on the Dolphins’ roster.)

ESPN’s Louis Riddick called Phillips “the most polished pass rusher in this draft. He can beat you with power, beat you with speed, beat you off the edge.”

So is he trying to learn new moves? “You’re always trying to perfect what you have in the ****nal but also trying to learn new things,” said Phillips, who describes himself as a film “fanatic” and has studied tape of former Giants great Lawrence Taylor.

He said he keeps in touch with Canes players Nesta Silvera and Bubba Bolden: “They are always texting me, ‘What is it like? How is it different?’ I tell them they have to wait until they get here.”

Phillips, incidentally, said he and Waddle will have a wager on the result of the UM-Alabama game on Sept. 4 in Atlanta.

Advertisement
Then there's Jordan, who during the draft process, was highly-regarded as the second- or third-best tight end prospect overall. When it comes to making plays with his hands, maybe only Atlanta's Kyle Pitts is a better option.

Pitts went No. 4 overall last April. Jordan went No. 147.

One would have thought he was a first-round target with how smooth he looked in both route-running and finishing the play.

Then there's Jordan, who during the draft process, was highly-regarded as the second- or third-best tight end prospect overall. When it comes to making plays with his hands, maybe only Atlanta's Kyle Pitts is a better option.

One would have thought he was a first-round target with how smooth he looked in both route-running and finishing the play.
200.gif

It would give me so much joy if Pitts was a bust and Jordan makes a couple of pro bowls.

Advertisement

Greg Rousseau showing some juice

Greg Rousseau didn’t play football last season, but he hasn’t looked out of place early in training camp. We’ll learn more about him when pads come on, but he forced an errant throw from Allen with pressure and also had a sack during team drills in practice. His height and length create a lot of problems for defenses. He, A.J. Epenesa and Basham have all taken advantage of Jerry Hughes’ current absence due to a calf injury. Eric Washington now has a lot of young pieces to mold on that defensive line. Beane has said he plans to park himself near the offensive line-defensive line one-on-one drills during the first day of pads, and it’s easy to see why. These young defensive linemen look ready.
So many teams and fans are going to look foolish when this kids absolutely blows up. He's going to eat!!

Advertisement
For Phillips, the transition is more complicated, because he has gone from playing mostly defensive end at the University of Miami to outside linebacker with the Dolphins.

“I played linebacker in high school and my second year at UCLA I played outside linebacker,” he reminded reporters Thursday. “It’s been an adjustment getting used to it again. A lot of terminology is the same, a lot of the principles are the same. It’s definitely cool.”

The move to linebacker involves dropping into pass coverage more than he did at UM.

“I love moving around; I love running,” he said. “I’m pretty good at being fluid and moving my hips around. It’s something I’m working on. It’s not new to me, but something I haven’t done in a long time. It’s exciting.”

“I can’t help but be happy sitting in the meeting room and seeing Hard Rock in the background,” he said. “It literally blows my mind to this day…

“I got a house, I got a cat, I got my girlfriend. I spend a lot more time up north [Hollywood, where he now lives]. I like it a lot up here. It’s a lot more open, easier to get around.”

Teammates ask him for restaurant ideas: “They call me Mr. 305.” (Phillips and veteran receiver Allen Hurns are the only former Hurricanes on the Dolphins’ roster.)

ESPN’s Louis Riddick called Phillips “the most polished pass rusher in this draft. He can beat you with power, beat you with speed, beat you off the edge.”

So is he trying to learn new moves? “You’re always trying to perfect what you have in the ****nal but also trying to learn new things,” said Phillips, who describes himself as a film “fanatic” and has studied tape of former Giants great Lawrence Taylor.

He said he keeps in touch with Canes players Nesta Silvera and Bubba Bolden: “They are always texting me, ‘What is it like? How is it different?’ I tell them they have to wait until they get here.”

Phillips, incidentally, said he and Waddle will have a wager on the result of the UM-Alabama game on Sept. 4 in Atlanta.
Can a Phins fan explain to me why they are moving Phillips to OLB? Not arguing that its a bad move but just curious as I would have thought Phillips was a 4-3 d-end all the way. do the Phins run a 3-4?

Advertisement
Back