Presidential Search

'Chise here is making some real valid points. I've been following The Admiral pretty closely since his name first surfaced in relation to our opening. While I've been impressed that he actually seems moderate to even slightly right-leaning for someone that has become an academic, there has been not one hint of anything coming from the guy that could lead any of us to believe that he is a proponent of big-time college sports. In fact, the only mention of anything sports related was one pro Navy football tweet and a forced joke about how someone could ask him who he was pulling for in the Super Bowl (as he was being interviewed from Boston). The timeframe of his potential exposure to Canes football is also concerning. The guy was no longer even a West Palm resident by the late 70's so there's a good chance that he missed all the Glory Days if he was even a fan to begin with.

I'm pulling for the guy to get the job because of what I've seen from him when being interviewed on world affairs and because there definitely doesn't seem to be a better name floating around. But to assume just because he is a military man from Palm Beach County and his parents may have had some football tickets that he'll be a savior to the program is taking a big leap. Then again, all we have at this point is hope so I'm down with dreaming that him and Butch regularly break down game film at an Ale House in Bonita while taking shots at Obama surrounded by empty pitchers of beer and plates of Zingers.

All fair, well-reasoned points. All I will say is that how vocally pro-sports can you be at a place like Tufts? It wouldn't serve any purpose in the long run.

And if he really is the social media guru that he appears to be, he can't be blind to the fact that athletics is what generally attracts the top tier students, especially in Florida.

I'll be honest and say that there isn't a perfect reason to believe that he will boost athletics tremendously but, unlike Donna, he's taking over a high tier academic institution that will require less leg work than she pumped into it from an early academic perspective. At that point his attention should turn to attracting better students as teachers and investors already want to be a part of the school. The way to attract those students is through athletics.

I think the real question is, is he the most pro-sports of all the potential hires? Do you know the other 3 potential hires? I mean how much did you guys expect the new president to be pro-sports? The reason you hire a president is for academics, plain and simple. The president usually hires an AD to deal with all the football stuff (UF does this well). The new president doesn't have to be someone that grew up loving Canes football, just someone that understands what it means to this school and community.

As far as I know, he does enjoy sports the most. I don't know the other three candidates yet because the list of potential suitors was just narrowed down and now that we're on Spring Break, my information well is currently on hiatus.

One thing about Stavirids is that he is an effective leader and manager. I would THINK that he would hire a strong AD who would get the jobs done that needed to be done.

@FAKE Chip Brierre: Assuming Stavridis gets the job, it stands to reason that he would hire a strong AD. During his admiralty record, he commanded a lot of high profile units that required job delegation and the record of those tenures is one of improvement. So I would think his AD would be a above par person for the position.

Advertisement
'Chise here is making some real valid points. I've been following The Admiral pretty closely since his name first surfaced in relation to our opening. While I've been impressed that he actually seems moderate to even slightly right-leaning for someone that has become an academic, there has been not one hint of anything coming from the guy that could lead any of us to believe that he is a proponent of big-time college sports. In fact, the only mention of anything sports related was one pro Navy football tweet and a forced joke about how someone could ask him who he was pulling for in the Super Bowl (as he was being interviewed from Boston). The timeframe of his potential exposure to Canes football is also concerning. The guy was no longer even a West Palm resident by the late 70's so there's a good chance that he missed all the Glory Days if he was even a fan to begin with.

I'm pulling for the guy to get the job because of what I've seen from him when being interviewed on world affairs and because there definitely doesn't seem to be a better name floating around. But to assume just because he is a military man from Palm Beach County and his parents may have had some football tickets that he'll be a savior to the program is taking a big leap. Then again, all we have at this point is hope so I'm down with dreaming that him and Butch regularly break down game film at an Ale House in Bonita while taking shots at Obama surrounded by empty pitchers of beer and plates of Zingers.

All fair, well-reasoned points. All I will say is that how vocally pro-sports can you be at a place like Tufts? It wouldn't serve any purpose in the long run.

And if he really is the social media guru that he appears to be, he can't be blind to the fact that athletics is what generally attracts the top tier students, especially in Florida.

I'll be honest and say that there isn't a perfect reason to believe that he will boost athletics tremendously but, unlike Donna, he's taking over a high tier academic institution that will require less leg work than she pumped into it from an early academic perspective. At that point his attention should turn to attracting better students as teachers and investors already want to be a part of the school. The way to attract those students is through athletics.

I think the real question is, is he the most pro-sports of all the potential hires? Do you know the other 3 potential hires? I mean how much did you guys expect the new president to be pro-sports? The reason you hire a president is for academics, plain and simple. The president usually hires an AD to deal with all the football stuff (UF does this well). The new president doesn't have to be someone that grew up loving Canes football, just someone that understands what it means to this school and community.

As far as I know, he does enjoy sports the most. I don't know the other three candidates yet because the list of potential suitors was just narrowed down and now that we're on Spring Break, my information well is currently on hiatus.

One thing about Stavirids is that he is an effective leader and manager. I would THINK that he would hire a strong AD who would get the jobs done that needed to be done.

@FAKE Chip Brierre: Assuming Stavridis gets the job, it stands to reason that he would hire a strong AD. During his admiralty record, he commanded a lot of high profile units that required job delegation and the record of those tenures is one of improvement. So I would think his AD would be a above par person for the position.

enjoys sports the most ... wtf does that mean?

enjoys sports the most ... wtf does that mean?

It means as far as athletics go, he's probably would bring the most to the table compared to the other 3 candidates.

pretty much but on the surface it appears that it cant be as bad as Shalalala. has to be an improvement. question is how much

The "he has to be better than ____" line of thought hasn't panned out for us at all with our football corches. We all assumed the next guy had to be better than Coker. He wasn't. Then, the next guy had to be better than Shannon. He wasn't either.

I think it's all blind hope with the next president because all I see with Stavridis is a politician who works at a school that doesn't play major sports.

James R. Ramsey took over at Louisville in 2002 as a career politician and a stint at Western Kentucky and all they've done under him as far as athletics is concerned is grow. It can happen.

I'm not saying he's for sure going to be going to the WEZ and posting about the team but all signs indicate that he enjoys sports but above all else recognizes their benefits for the school and being from West Palm Beach he has first hand experiences with that. For those reasons I say that'll he'll be an improvement over Shalala by a wide margin.
Ted, you're like a son to me, but all you're giving me is guesses. There's really nothing concrete to assure anyone that he'll be a champion for athletics. Ramsey has nothing to do with him, and there are plenty of people who grew up in WPB who couldn't give a **** about college sports.

To be fair, no I can't point to a specific quote and/or attitude he's enacted to prove that he will be a boost for athletics.

What I can say is that when Shalala got the job, she had implied that she cared about athletics and that's clearly been false. Florida State just hired a career politician to be their president. Florida just hired Cornell's Provost with no athletic background as their president. People are hired all the time without an athletic background. I know that makes for more a crap shoot but I have to think that it's at least an educated guess.

But I will admit that there is no inarguable piece of information that he'll make athletics a strength. Just reasonable hope.

Thank you for the, "son," comment. I'm trying to make you proud.

I just think the Violin is going to care more about the liberal faculty to win them over before any sports...That's what elitists do

Desperation.

pretty much but on the surface it appears that it cant be as bad as Shalalala. has to be an improvement. question is how much

The "he has to be better than ____" line of thought hasn't panned out for us at all with our football corches. We all assumed the next guy had to be better than Coker. He wasn't. Then, the next guy had to be better than Shannon. He wasn't either.

I think it's all blind hope with the next president because all I see with Stavridis is a politician who works at a school that doesn't play major sports.

James R. Ramsey took over at Louisville in 2002 as a career politician and a stint at Western Kentucky and all they've done under him as far as athletics is concerned is grow. It can happen.

I'm not saying he's for sure going to be going to the WEZ and posting about the team but all signs indicate that he enjoys sports but above all else recognizes their benefits for the school and being from West Palm Beach he has first hand experiences with that. For those reasons I say that'll he'll be an improvement over Shalala by a wide margin.
Ted, you're like a son to me, but all you're giving me is guesses. There's really nothing concrete to assure anyone that he'll be a champion for athletics. Ramsey has nothing to do with him, and there are plenty of people who grew up in WPB who couldn't give a **** about college sports.

:jeremyshockey:

hilarious!

Advertisement

To be fair, no I can't point to a specific quote and/or attitude he's enacted to prove that he will be a boost for athletics.

What I can say is that when Shalala got the job, she had implied that she cared about athletics and that's clearly been false. Florida State just hired a career politician to be their president. Florida just hired Cornell's Provost with no athletic background as their president. People are hired all the time without an athletic background. I know that makes for more a crap shoot but I have to think that it's at least an educated guess.

But I will admit that there is no inarguable piece of information that he'll make athletics a strength. Just reasonable hope.

Thank you for the, "son," comment. I'm trying to make you proud.

I just think the Violin is going to care more about the liberal faculty to win them over before any sports...That's what elitists do

Yes, but this isn't some guy that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. This is a guy who's grandfather was expelled out of the Ottoman Empire during ethnic cleansing. This is a guy who managed to rise to the rank of Admiral through four different presidential regimes. He doesn't seem to be the type to suck up to others.

I hope not anyway.

I will be a student at that same medical school next year and let me tell you something about Miller and the people there. They have enjoyed Donna's blatant, unashamed favoritism since the day she got the job on June 1st, 2001. Bringing in Stavridis, and his predisposition to the law school and international relations, and the medical school can kiss their, "favorite child," position goodbye.

Will he get the job? I think so but I guess it's not set in stone. The medical school people may not think he's the man for the job because now they'll be treated like everyone else. They are a small portion of the search committee. And if they don't think he's the man for the job, that makes me more confident that he will get the job because otherwise they wouldn't be worried about losing their preferential treatment.

i am a current student. second year actually. I think I know something about miller and the people here. you seem to be very well connected to the administration.

Oh good because then you know what I just said is totally correct in terms of their bias in relation to Stavridis getting hired and have more first hand experience then I do. I appreciate the confirmation.

Thanks for the well-connected comment. I try to be.

well, I would say "we" not they to describe Miller.

unrelated, there are way too many foreign exchange students on campus; they are paying 50K to take English courses and read stellar books like the Giver which is taught at elementary schools.

I'm hoping the new president cuts down on those students.

You didn't say if you wanted Stavridis or not so I didn't want to group you win the Deans of Miller wing that doesn't want him seeing as he would be good for the school as a whole and I'm going to Miller next year and I do want Stavridis so not all of Miller is opposed to him. But for the sake of accuracy, we (Those attending or going to be attending Miller) by and large don't want Stavridis and that makes sense. You can't blame a group for looking our for their own self-interests.

If Stavridis does get the job, the foreign exchange number will probably increase. He's the Dean of an International Relations School and his strength, among other things, is his cosmopolitan reach.

By the way, since we're kindred Miller people, would you be talking about Dr. Goldschmidt by any chance? I know he isn't pro-Stavridis.

Isn't Goldschidt the con man that was hired by Shalala.....maybe he should be scared.....Not all Drs and professors are brilliant teachers and leaders.......I will bet most are old con men getting large salaries and con and lie their way to get paid.....Lots of you students don't get that but it is true...these dudes are fakes, frauds, charalatans and frauds who con you when you pay $35,000 in tuition

Stavridis is the worst of the worst. LOL! He claims Shalala is his mentor!

A Clintonite. A lifelong flunkie and benefactor of the Clintons.

I see what they are doing.

BTW, he LOVES Al Golden, according to his statements

i am a current student. second year actually. I think I know something about miller and the people here. you seem to be very well connected to the administration.

Oh good because then you know what I just said is totally correct in terms of their bias in relation to Stavridis getting hired and have more first hand experience then I do. I appreciate the confirmation.

Thanks for the well-connected comment. I try to be.

well, I would say "we" not they to describe Miller.

unrelated, there are way too many foreign exchange students on campus; they are paying 50K to take English courses and read stellar books like the Giver which is taught at elementary schools.

I'm hoping the new president cuts down on those students.

You didn't say if you wanted Stavridis or not so I didn't want to group you win the Deans of Miller wing that doesn't want him seeing as he would be good for the school as a whole and I'm going to Miller next year and I do want Stavridis so not all of Miller is opposed to him. But for the sake of accuracy, we (Those attending or going to be attending Miller) by and large don't want Stavridis and that makes sense. You can't blame a group for looking our for their own self-interests.

If Stavridis does get the job, the foreign exchange number will probably increase. He's the Dean of an International Relations School and his strength, among other things, is his cosmopolitan reach.

By the way, since we're kindred Miller people, would you be talking about Dr. Goldschmidt by any chance? I know he isn't pro-Stavridis.

Isn't Goldschidt the con man that was hired by Shalala.....maybe he should be scared.....Not all Drs and professors are brilliant teachers and leaders.......I will bet most are old con men getting large salaries and con and lie their way to get paid.....Lots of you students don't get that but it is true...these dudes are fakes, frauds, charalatans and frauds who con you when you pay $35,000 in tuition

Goldschmidt will be gone within two years, no matter who the new president is.

Advertisement

I don't believe you. Clearly you have been watching too much basketball and baseball.

Being a high ranking military person who had parents that watched sports makes him the ideal candidate likely to fire all the coaches two minutes after his nameplate engraving is complete and hire Butch within the next 8 minutes tops - all this done from the new stadium he will build with his bare hands prior to taking office. To scale version of the Orange Bowl I'm hearing.

I have no idea how the admiral will turn out, but there is nothing supporting the bolded claim. The poster on the WEZ already said his quote was fake. And for the underlined claim, that's about as unsubstantiated as J. S. loving athletics. I wouldn't call J.S. a flunkie by his accomplishments at all.

The mentor part is true. You can read more about the context of his quote in this article http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2014/11/16/admiral-transitions-to-academia/

Last edited by a moderator:

I have no idea how the admiral will turn out, but there is nothing supporting the bolded claim. The poster on the WEZ already said his quote was fake. And for the underlined claim, that's about as unsubstantiated as J. S. loving athletics. I wouldn't call J.S. a flunkie by his accomplishments at all.

The mentor part is true. You can read more about the context of his quote in this article http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2014/11/16/admiral-transitions-to-academia/

Ignore this guy...it's all schtick.

The other thing that worries me is that he is an advocate of "smart power". "Smart" is normally a code word for elitists. At this point I will settle if he could just be as bad as Foote was.

Advertisement

no. just meant in general, Miller faculty/students and general undergraduate body want to keep Shalala.

goldschmidt is constantly seen at the gables wellness center. maybe you or i can ask him about stavridis.

as far as other candidates, my classmates and i have no connections or insight on the matter. way too busy studying for boards.

shalala and goldschmidt ran the school kind of like the north korean dictator from the movie interview: when they spoke to us, we weren't allowed to ask certain questions namely regarding Charles Nemeroff

you will see some of that when you get here

The other thing that worries me is that he is an advocate of "smart power". "Smart" is normally a code word for elitists. At this point I will settle if he could just be as bad as Foote was.

Without going too OT, I think a "Smart Power" real world definition is in order..."Smart Power" is a re-branding of the "Soft Power" stuff that came from an egg head named Nye in the Clinton administration. After the Cold War and Gulf War, both the Democrats and Republicans wanted a "Peace Dividend;" i.e. slashing the defence budget and using the money from it to pay for their pet social programs or bridges to nowhere (cut taxes?...LMAO, it's D.C.). So the stripped pants(suit)s from Foggy Bottom came up with goofy "Soft Power" doctrine to make the Pols feel safe in cutting the DoD Budget. When "Soft Power" sounded too wussy post 9/11, "Smart Power' came around.

Today, it is used as code by some military leaders and their staffs to indicate they have absolutely nowhere near the force structure to accomplish their mission, hence they are relying on "Smart Power." I think Stavridis partly used it in this context to signal he had a EUCOM that was a mere shadow of even its 90s strength. He also partly used it to get the USSOUTHCOM and EUCOM gigs; most politicians either served for a short while or have never served in the military; they think military people conform to movie stereotypes. Trust me, ALL senior military leaders are adept politicians and by saying the "right" things, totally bamboozle these naive non-military politicians.

To Stavridis' credit, when Crimea was "liberated" by volunteer "freedom fighters," he was one of the few voices advocating a real response:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/03/01/nato-needs-to-move-now-on-crimea/

His successor mentioned, USAF General Breedlove, has only recently implemented some of these measures (though Breedlove probably realizes that between Jarrett, Swift Boat Coward Lurch and Video maven Rice, anything he does will get him thrown under the bus, hence a "what difference does it make" response).

Last edited:
we're over thinking the presidential hire.

but I believe that it will truly be hard to do worse than donna.

Advertisement
Ignore SmokeyRone, he is just some old washed up tea party nut bag looking for attention. That is why he whores his daughter on WEZ, so they can like him:jordan:.

no. just meant in general, Miller faculty/students and general undergraduate body want to keep Shalala.

goldschmidt is constantly seen at the gables wellness center. maybe you or i can ask him about stavridis.

as far as other candidates, my classmates and i have no connections or insight on the matter. way too busy studying for boards.

shalala and goldschmidt ran the school kind of like the north korean dictator from the movie interview: when they spoke to us, we weren't allowed to ask certain questions namely regarding Charles Nemeroff

you will see some of that when you get here

I mean that makes sense. They/we have been living large for the past 14 years.

Goldschmidt isn't known for his friendliness and if I bring up Stavridis, he's liable to hit me with stethoscope but I guess it's worth a shot.

If it's that's controlled and regimented and they/we really don't want Staviridis, I feel that he's getting the job.

Serious question: What has Stavridis ever done as an administrator that makes you guys excited about him from an athletics standpoint? So far, about all I've seen is that his parents used to attend UM football games and that he might have some sort of friendship or acquaintance with Butch.

Is there something concrete he's done as an administrator that makes people think he'll be pro-athletics?

read post #41 - nah, no management background at all.

Smart/soft power was termed by Joseph Nye. The same guy that developed "Neo-liberal" International Relations theory in the 1970s. Military force can't solve all problems, so it examines other uses of force for countries to get what they want.

It's all mainstream International Relations theory jargon taught In any "Intro to IR" course.

(Also, Neo-liberal has a totally different meaning in IR theory than American politics, a bit of a misnomer)

Advertisement
Back