Presidential Search

Advertisement
@The Dude: There are four finalists. He's one of them. I talked to three professors in two different departments and two board members who feel that Stavridis is going to get the job. So I can't give you an actual percentage but that's where I heard this from so I would be at least confident. The other candidates have a lot of support but I think Stavridis will get the job.

@BigCaneAl: No problem. I would expect an announcement to be coming at the March of maybe just a little later. They aren't going to want to hire a president so late that he or she can't scramble their resources/money/best academic minds for the following year.

@Bigtip: He will be, by default, a vast improvement over Shalala. Career military man or not, he apparently fosters a very family atmosphere at Tufts where he gives employees enough rope to be themselves and active while being an effective leader. Every Tufts person has good things to say about him.

As far as football goes, his parents were season ticket holders. There seems to be some pre-existing relationship with Butch and even if Butch isn't on his mind, winning Miami football is at least known to him. He does not seem to be the type to settle for mediocrity.

the ones at medical campus as well as the deans, don't think the admiral is the man.

@The Dude: There are four finalists. He's one of them. I talked to three professors in two different departments and two board members who feel that Stavridis is going to get the job. So I can't give you an actual percentage but that's where I heard this from so I would be at least confident. The other candidates have a lot of support but I think Stavridis will get the job.

@BigCaneAl: No problem. I would expect an announcement to be coming at the March of maybe just a little later. They aren't going to want to hire a president so late that he or she can't scramble their resources/money/best academic minds for the following year.

@Bigtip: He will be, by default, a vast improvement over Shalala. Career military man or not, he apparently fosters a very family atmosphere at Tufts where he gives employees enough rope to be themselves and active while being an effective leader. Every Tufts person has good things to say about him.

As far as football goes, his parents were season ticket holders. There seems to be some pre-existing relationship with Butch and even if Butch isn't on his mind, winning Miami football is at least known to him. He does not seem to be the type to settle for mediocrity.

Thanks for the update. I will add that I had to opportunity to speak to a member of the selection committee, and while this person wouldn't get into specifics they did tell me that they were certain the person will be ready to go June 1. Stressed that point which I found odd, and took to mean they have chosen and gotten a positive response back.

Advertisement
When Andy Reid was first hired by the Eagles, fans had expectations that he would finally get rid of Mike Mamula. Sure enough, he gave him a raise and a contract extension.

So much for expectations.

Serious question: What has Stavridis ever done as an administrator that makes you guys excited about him from an athletics standpoint? So far, about all I've seen is that his parents used to attend UM football games and that he might have some sort of friendship or acquaintance with Butch.

Is there something concrete he's done as an administrator that makes people think he'll be pro-athletics?

Serious question: What has Stavridis ever done as an administrator that makes you guys excited about him from an athletics standpoint? So far, about all I've seen is that his parents used to attend UM football games and that he might have some sort of friendship or acquaintance with Butch.

Is there something concrete he's done as an administrator that makes people think he'll be pro-athletics?

thats the question I was asking Ted. I think the answer is No there is nothing concrete but the little bit of hearsay combined with the absolute destitution that is being a Miami fan under Shalalalala is enough for me to be excited.

Desperation.

Advertisement

he has a Y chromosome.

Desperation.

pretty much but on the surface it appears that it cant be as bad as Shalalala. has to be an improvement. question is how much

Desperation.

pretty much but on the surface it appears that it cant be as bad as Shalalala. has to be an improvement. question is how much

The "he has to be better than ____" line of thought hasn't panned out for us at all with our football corches. We all assumed the next guy had to be better than Coker. He wasn't. Then, the next guy had to be better than Shannon. He wasn't either.

I think it's all blind hope with the next president because all I see with Stavridis is a politician who works at a school that doesn't play major sports.

The very fact that he was an Admiral is indicative of his accomplishments in a stringent organization. You don't get to be a general or admiral by not paying attention to details, and demanding excellence in all aspects of your command.

One of your subordinates is mediocre, he's gone - because he's making you look bad.

Golden makes UM look bad. Nationally, the absolutely most visible aspect of the University of Miami - and he's crap.

Academia may think academics is what sells UM, but not many outside of the 305 give a tinker's **** about the academics at UM. They all DO pay attention to the UM football program - as they know how it has dominated in the past.

UM Football is the flagship in the public's eye - and anyone that made admiral wants his flagship to shine.

Starting to sink in now?

Advertisement

the ones at medical campus as well as the deans, don't think the admiral is the man.

Wishful thinking??? These are the stupid FU_ _S who Donna bought a hospital for and lavished all kinds of money on...They thought the new health care legislation was going to be the gravy train for them all...Sorry Obamadisaster happened and They went from making money last decade to being a Black Hole which swallows huge amounts of $$$$.

The Admiral doesn't know anything about running hospitals, but he may send LeBlanc away and hire himself an XO who is a tough as nails hospital administrator and educator who can get the Miller/Former Ceders mess cleaned up before it swallows the whole university.

respectfully, so no real hard information other than just some hearsay and guessing.

No offense taken.

I haven't actually been in the Board room where the discussion and interviews are taking place but I have talked to people who have and the professors I've talked to are established people at the school who have been here since the Foote Era in the 90's at least.

You could call it hearsay and guessing but it's about as concrete as you can get at this point.

I will be a student at that same medical school next year and let me tell you something about Miller and the people there. They have enjoyed Donna's blatant, unashamed favoritism since the day she got the job on June 1st, 2001. Bringing in Stavridis, and his predisposition to the law school and international relations, and the medical school can kiss their, "favorite child," position goodbye.

Will he get the job? I think so but I guess it's not set in stone. The medical school people may not think he's the man for the job because now they'll be treated like everyone else. They are a small portion of the search committee. And if they don't think he's the man for the job, that makes me more confident that he will get the job because otherwise they wouldn't be worried about losing their preferential treatment.

Advertisement

Thanks for the update. I will add that I had to opportunity to speak to a member of the selection committee, and while this person wouldn't get into specifics they did tell me that they were certain the person will be ready to go June 1. Stressed that point which I found odd, and took to mean they have chosen and gotten a positive response back.

No problem.

I'll ask people about that once Spring Break is over.

This is what I got for you on that.

I'm trying to get it confirmed but apparently he played lacrosse while in college. He has experience with law which by definition implies a competitive streak and his rising to admiral showcases that and leadership. If you look at his resume, he writes prodigiously and is on the cutting edge of a lot of facets of academia, but he's very knowledgeable about social media and its uses. He wrote a periodical on it. He's active and aware of the critical importance that athletics plays for attracting students. He's only been the dean at Tufts since July 1st, 2013 and from what I've been told by somebody that goes to Tufts is that he really fostered a family atmosphere and encouraged people to attend the Tufts football games with him. I know that's not much, but that's about as much as he could do to a certain degree.

That isn't a ton of strong information but all I can say for certain is that he will be a monumental improvement over Shalala by literal default.

Desperation.

The "he has to be better than ____" line of thought hasn't panned out for us at all with our football corches. We all assumed the next guy had to be better than Coker. He wasn't. Then, the next guy had to be better than Shannon. He wasn't either.

I think it's all blind hope with the next president because all I see with Stavridis is a politician who works at a school that doesn't play major sports.

James R. Ramsey took over at Louisville in 2002 as a career politician and a stint at Western Kentucky and all they've done under him as far as athletics is concerned is grow. It can happen.

I'm not saying he's for sure going to be going to the WEZ and posting about the team but all signs indicate that he enjoys sports but above all else recognizes their benefits for the school and being from West Palm Beach he has first hand experiences with that. For those reasons I say that'll he'll be an improvement over Shalala by a wide margin.

Peeps hatin' on THO.

Lick ballz.

He's the closest thing to a legit source in the admin as you'll find anywhere.

Advertisement
Back