Predictions for NSD

Advertisement
No matter how the commitments shake out on National Signing Day, the recruiting efforts of Miami Hurricanes head coach Mario Cristobal have been nothing but a success.

Yes, Miami enters NSD ranked No. 38 overall in the country in the 247Sports Team Recruiting Rankings, which is not acceptable, but at the same time it is worth remembering what UM’s 2022 class was looking like when Cristobal took over.

The Hurricanes owned the No. 69 overall class in the country, according to the 247Sports Recruiting Rankings in November and the class was sliding and not generating any momentum to finish strong during the Early Signing Period.

Then Miami hired Cristobal.

Since that time, in just about eight weeks on the job, Cristobal has landed three Top 100 players in DE Cyrus Moss, DE Nyjalik Kelly, and TE Jaleel Skinner. None of those three players were coming to Miami under the leadership of former coach Manny Diaz.

Stacking elite talent is the first key to success in major college football and in less than eight weeks, Cristobal landed three Top 100 level recruits. During the 247Sports era (dating back to the 2011 cycle) Miami has landed three Top 100 recruits in five classes: 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, and 2021. None of those classes were transition classes for a new head coach.

Even if Miami finished National Signing Day without a splashy finish that features five-star defensive lineman Shemar Stewart, the Hurricanes have a chance to finish with a Top 25 class.

Landing three-star prospects like DL Ahmad Moten, OL Matthew McCoy, and OL Anez Cooper would give the Hurricanes a strong shot at a Top 25 finish.

That class would feature 13 commitments and have a class average of a .9111 grade, which equates to a low four-star prospect.

Here is a look at the transition classes for the head coaches during the 247Sports era:

- Al Golden (2011): No. 33, .8444 grade
- Mark Richt (2016): No. 22, .8863 grade
- Manny Diaz (2019): No. 27, .8807 grade

If Cristobal can land targets like Stewart and four-star offensive lineman Dave Iuli, this would be the best transition recruiting class in modern history for the Hurricanes.

Transition recruiting classes are difficult for any head coach to piece together.

No matter what happens on National Signing Day, Mario Cristobal has provided a big boost to a 2022 class that was spiraling late in the fall and managed to add elite talent in a short amount of time.

Making the jump from a team ranking in the 60s to the 20s is nothing to overlook.

That type of jump from the Hurricanes is a sign of what is to come on the recruiting trail under Cristobal’s leadership with this upcoming 2023 cycle.
I was surprised how well written your post was. Thanks for sharing with us.

You should give credit to the author, David Lake. https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...e-job-recruiting-in-short-time-182052990/Amp/

Advertisement
we are looking better then we were looking before the Cristobal hire :
yeah that's true, but if you give a homeless man a bath, he looks a little more put together; doesn't change the fact he's still homeless.

Maybe I expected too much, but after making up this much ground, I would be disappointed if we failed to land both Stewart and Iuli. Not discrediting what Mario has done to somewhat save this class, but to focus these past two months on solely high school recruiting and spending less time with the portal/staff hires, I just hope we come out better than a handful of three stars today.

Advertisement
If you think that I was trying to pass that off as something that I wrote then I am surprised you were able to use a comma correctly.

How did you figure it out? Was it one of the 14 embedded links in the post that all led back to 247?
Ouch sounds like a sensitive subject.

Next time just use quotes or give the author credit when you rip their entire article and post it. Very easy to do. No need to get upset or sassy either

Advertisement
If u elite at recruiting u get the dude I don't care how many weeks u been here. First red flag for me I'm always going to call it like I see it. Saban would of snagged him

I'm generally a positive guy but it's hard to disagree with this.

Mario is going to have to deal with this in sfla throughout every cycle. The big boy TAMU UGA OSU Bama will target the best talent.....if he gets stuck with left overs he in trouble. Let's see what happens

Guessing he's going to be forced to go more national down here as he did at Oregon. Good news is that he's been pulling talent from all over the country in the past. Too many years of neglect by UM, allowing all of the big boys to invade. Hard to get them out immediately but maybe it happens over time with NIL.

Advertisement
Mario is going to have to deal with this in sfla throughout every cycle. The big boy TAMU UGA OSU Bama will target the best talent.....if he gets stuck with left overs he in trouble. Let's see what happens

Agree. Recruiting was supposed to be his calling card. So expectations in that area are supposed to be higher. Not going to completely pass judgement until next year. We need to start winning these types of battles.

Guessing he's going to be forced to go more national down here as he did at Oregon. Good news is that he's been pulling talent from all over the country in the past. Too many years of neglect by UM, allowing all of the big boys to invade. Hard to get them out immediately but maybe it happens over time with NIL.
NIL seems to be making it even more difficult. You see how much TAMU and Bama are paying these kids out of high school? We can't compete with that.

Advertisement
Back