PractiSe and other crap

Advertisement
I thought Rivers and Donaldson were supposed to solve our run blocking woes?

What the **** is going on out here?
I think some are overreacting to what I posted. The ol is going be noticeably better , run blocking and pass blocking. They’re just better pass blocking , the run game was a lot better this spring. I just don’t think we’ll be blowing folks off the los. Football is all about the qb and pass blocking , if those two are we think they’ll be I believe run blocking will be fine. We’re a pass first team this year , in today’s game you pass to run. Even bama.

Thanks for all the updates. This stuff is like heroin for me.

I'm generally confident in the offense as long as King is healthy. There's nothing that I'm particularly panicky about there.

I'm still concerned about run defense. It's more than just "the linebackers need to be better" it's up to all three levels to shut down the running game. I haven't been as confident in the DBs since...I don't even remember. We have quality players at both corner and safety and good depth all around. We should be able to play a lot more aggressively in coverage. I know people are concerned about DE and I can totally get that but if there's one position on the entire team that consistently eats under Manny it's DE. We might not have a Jaelan Phillips or Greg Rousseau on the team but there's a list of guys who have gotten good pass rush production under Manny who were mediocre athletes and borderline NFL prospects. Joe Jackson and Trent Harris were no better than the guys we're rolling out this year. From what I've been hearing, they're going back to a more simplistic approach for linebackers similar to what they did in 2016 when they had to play freshmen.

Agree with your overall post regarding DE’s as long as we stay healthy except for the bolded.
Jackson came on the scene and had as many sacks as a FR as Johnson, Harvey, and McCloud (I know, LB) had combined last year. Physically and from a polish stand point he was pretty advanced for his age. I think he was much better than what we are rolling out this year. Don’t want to derail thread, JMO.

Advertisement
Agreed on your points about Clemson. They never have elite nfl o lines but they are great at scheming a running game. If our scheme is a lot like last year, then We severely lack creativity in the run game.

That said, Clemson wouldn’t have been able to have the success they’ve had the last decade running inside zone primarily. If we try that vs a pumped up Bama d we’re in trouble. Rhett grew up in a scheme that seemed to specialize in movement and smoke and mirrors. Wouldn’t mind seeing some of that featured going forward.
Exactly. A good pass blocking ol, qb , oc worth his salt and scheming can make a run blocking ol look better. The offense will look different this year, more wrinkles…..it’s year two with a veteran team , the playbook is definitely thicker .

First off Tyrique was back at practice , I was under the assumption he was one of the guys held out, his wrist is fine.

Restrepo and Rambo did their normal thing, Rambo is clearly the dude. Also we have three Fr wr who’d start or be in the rotation most years. The staff has no fears if they have to be thrown in.

Don might be closer to be pre injury than anyone thought , dude looked super explosive and had a long touchdown on a wheel route. He is as clearly the best rb yesterday but Cam has been great all fall.

Qb battle is dead even, Tvd is more consistent but Jake brings more explosive plays. As I’ve said this battle will go on for a year.

Ive mentioned Elijah will get burn at De and that hasn’t changed , LT was talked about getting time there In the off season , that’s until he showed up. He is all we expected and a lot more. This is 100% a future first round pick, I can’t stress how athletic and fast he is for that size , his first step is crazy. I’d be shocked if he’s not in two deep and playing crazy snaps. Man child.

Cave was banged up but was coming on very strong , he’s one of the guys I talked about being breakouts this year. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get burn at mike. I told y’all over the summer Keontra was the deal and boy is he. He looks nothing like a guy who has recently changed positions.

Lastly the ol has improved pass blocking and I expect king to have plenty of time to throw but the run blocking still isn’t where it should be. It’s definitely better but the consistent push is lacking. As a whole the unit will be better.

I’ll be posting a thread later talking defense, possible tweaks and expectations.
Any news on Cave's injury? Heard he was in a boot but hoping its precautionary.

Tbh it’s so close I don’t know. Tvd does everything right , checks down if it’s not there, makes all the throws more methodical. Jake is a straight up gunslinger , big plays will happen but those same gunslingers will tend to force stuff , hold on to the ball too long or make a crucial mistake. Especially as a first year guy.

If our d is legit I’d go Tvd, if it struggles or is suspect I’d go Jake. Jake has the it factor , that’s for sure.
There is a misconception by some that the 2001 team had great run blockers on the O-line. Definitely did not. McKinnie for one was not a great run blocker.
But the team passed so well that defenses were forced to keep an extra safety back. And we had some really good backs with vision. So with one less man in the box, all Portis needed (little bit of Gore, Davenport and McGahee), was a crease to hit. Its not like we were running student body right and left.

Same for LSU a few years ago. Joe Burrow and the receivers made the running game, not the other way around. We can have a good running game if we have a great passing game with just adequate run blocking.
One thing, kinda related to both posts is that the offense relied heavily on rpo (or whatever you want to call it) last year. Thought Clemson ate that up by being super aggressive and overloading. A lot of 3 and outs for UM that game, which gave CU more opportunity to expose LBs. I feel like every year that's an issue: offense quickly going 3 and out, tiring out the D and leaving room for the overaggressive defense to be exposed.

Idk what's going on in the practices, but if Oline and defense don't communicate to deal w/ simple stuff like alignment on D and picking up blocks on O, may not be a fun night vs Bama.

Advertisement
I think some are overreacting to what I posted. The ol is going be noticeably better , run blocking and pass blocking. They’re just better pass blocking , the run game was a lot better this spring. I just don’t think we’ll be blowing folks off the los. Football is all about the qb and pass blocking , if those two are we think they’ll be I believe run blocking will be fine. We’re a pass first team this year , in today’s game you pass to run. Even bama.
People hear what they wanna hear.

I can agree with this but......I think UNC and Mack have Manny's number for sure and that QB will be tough. And then to think we don't have one other really close one that doesn't go our way at least., maybe NCstate or some other? I just see us getting to 9, which would suck. We need that double digit win year and a big bowl game that we actually show up for.
That QB lost all his weapons from last year

This is the main takeaway and should be common knowledge at this point. We are not in Bama’s tier. That’s fine. Only like 2-3 programs are. So, we’ll play the game, but they win 8-9 times out of 10. Again, no shame in that. If we keep it competitive it bodes very well for the rest of the season.

But what everyone must keep in the front of their minds is that the next 11 games matter MUCH more than the first one. Miami simply doesn’t have the horses Bama does. Again, crazy **** happens. We CAN win. But no staff is lining up with Miami’s players and beating Bama more than 1 out of 10 times. But ANY staff worth a pound of **** wins at least 10 of the next 11. We’re not in Bama’s tier, but we sure as **** are in the same tier or better than the next 11 teams we play. Lose more than 1, and it’s a gigantic indictment on Manny and the staff he has assembled, imo. A good staff takes this roster with this schedule to Charlotte with their eyes closed.
I want to agree with everything you say but I know that even though we have as much talent or more than every team we face after Bama , we do not yet have the overwhelming talent it takes to promise a 10 win season.

I am just looking at odds and numbers. Clemson, Bama, OSU.. win 10+ because they are a 2 TD + fav in virtually every game they play and so they have upwards of an 80% win rate for each game.

We will not be a 2 TD + fav vs VT, GT, NCst, UNC, UVA or Pitt and the odds say we will lose at least 1 maybe 2 of those games.

Now, if this team shows it can hang with Bama..different story

Advertisement
Disagree, this is 2021. “Imposing your will” isn’t cfb or the nfl for that matter anymore. Lsu wasn’t imposing their will when they won the natty , they could pass block, had a qb wr’s and a great passing game/ scheme. Clemson wasn’t imposing their will either , they didn’t have road graders or future first rounders on the ol. They schemed their running game , plenty of movement and smoke in mirrors. If you have good pass blocking , a qb and a good scheme you can make the run game work.

There has to be a threat downfield , if we have the numbers advantage I think the run blocking will be good enough. If somebody loads the box or has 7-8 in the box we will have trouble. I expect the run game to be significantly better just off being older, stronger , a year in the system and a explosive pass game. Are they going to road block for 250 yards a game? No. We will be a pass first team. Now if the pass blocking isn’t as good as expected we’re fooked.
Disagree, you have to be able to run the ball to win consistently. Not talking about 3yds and a cloud of dust offense, I'm talking about being able to pick up the occasional 3rd and 2 or 3, we haven't been able to do that for years and consequently, we have sucked for years.

Advertisement
I will say we’ll be walking a razor blade with injuries. We can’t have any at de and any more at ol. We’ll eventually get Clarke back but we’re currently at a dangerous position with ol depth. Losing Clarke and Campbell hurts. That’s my biggest fear going forward.

Cribby...Apparently the rumors are starting to leak as to who the two players are suspended for the Bama game....? I dont know if I should say who the 2 names were that dropped but it makes sense seeing that they have been quiet in the rotation as of late...

As long as we can keep teams honest, we’ll be fine. A halfway decent run game will help immensely.

Cribby...Apparently the rumors are starting to leak as to who the two players are suspended for the Bama game....? I dont know if I should say who the 2 names were that dropped but it makes sense seeing that they have been quiet in the rotation as of late...
We won't tell

Advertisement
Back