Spring PractiSe #5 **TUESDAY**

We find a way to put plenty of talented young players on the field too. As many as just about any other school.

It just gets ignored because it wasn’t at receiver and lb LAST YEAR.
Again, like I said, this argument can go on and on. I don't care about last year anymore. I'm onto this year.

I think Manny knows its now or never and I expect him to coach like it. He showed it with the coaching staff moves. I'm hoping he does the same with the depth chart.

Advertisement
Don't take this as a slight, but have you ever played competitive team sports?

It happens all the time. Coaches fall in love with a certain guys work ethic or commitment level, his perseverance or whatever the f*ck it is and it becomes a personal relationship that clouds their judgement. They can't see what others (in this case Canes fans) who don't have any personal feelings towards a player see.

Mcloud, Carter and others have been good soldiers. Done things the right way and continue to get opportunities because of it. Pope and Wiggins were highly ranked and I don't know how much pull he really has but they were Cooney's boys and like any good mentor he believes in them.

Favoritism is real. These aren't professional athletes, they are kids who you've been recruiting since they were 14. sometimes younger.
I have played the game. Long time ago in a very different era. Baseball as well.

Can’t disagree that coaches tend to have favorites. I was because of my ability but still had to earn my playing time. It’s natural to be attracted to certain attributes in people and in the case of coaches, reward players for doing things right.

That being said, CFB is a bottom line business and if the HC isn’t meeting expectations, he’ll be on the unemployment line sooner rather than later. I believe our staff is experienced enough to understand that concept and wouldn’t jeopardize the success of the team or their own success for that matter.

-Kayshon Boutte/True Frosh WR

-Marvin Mims/True Frosh WR (took Rambo’s spot)

-Myles Murphy/True Frosh DE

-Will Anderson Jr/True Frosh LB

-Noah Sewell/True Frosh LB

-Eli Ricks/True Frosh CB

-Malachi Moore/True Frosh S

-Patrick Surtain/True Frosh CB

-Emmanuel Forbes/True Frosh CB

-Khari Coleman/True Frosh DE

-Tony Grimes (who should’ve been in HS last season/True Frosh CB

-Micah Parsons/True Frosh LB/DE

-Sam Howell/True Frosh QB

Man, I’m just going off the dome right now....can’t even fathom going back further in my brain to call out all the true freshman that have started, stayed for 3 yrs, and then became a high draft pick.

Is it ideal? No; but this notion about kids not being able to play until yr 3, is foolish, and is an excuse to the ongoings here. Ppl live in this O&G bubble, so they speak on things from Miami lens, not realizing that CFB have evolved where these highly ranked kids come in ready to play..............except here, for some odd reason.

Brevin Jordan, Ahmon Richards, Zion Nelson, Trajan Bandy, Shaq Quarterman, Michael Pickney, Jaquan Johnson, Joe Jackson and there’s more

Don't take this as a slight, but have you ever played competitive team sports?

It happens all the time. Coaches fall in love with a certain guys work ethic or commitment level, his perseverance or whatever the f*ck it is and it becomes a personal relationship that clouds their judgement. They can't see what others (in this case Canes fans) who don't have any personal feelings towards a player see.

Mcloud, Carter and others have been good soldiers. Done things the right way and continue to get opportunities because of it. Pope and Wiggins were highly ranked and I don't know how much pull he really has but they were Cooney's boys and like any good mentor he believes in them.

Favoritism is real. These aren't professional athletes, they are kids who you've been recruiting since they were 14. sometimes younger.

I keep hearing about favoritism with Pope and Wiggins but the coach who made the decision to start them was in his first season here with no prior relationship to either guy. Likens didn’t recruit either of them nor did he know either of them from Adam before last season. So we can eliminate favoritism at that position. Now, maybe guys on defense were getting playing time because the coaches there had an attachment to them. But none of those coaches are currently coaching on this team anymore, so we shouldn’t have to worry about the DB coach, the LB coach or the DL coach playing favorites this season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes he’s the the head coach and he’s responsible, but that still doesn’t answer the real life question.

Who actually determines who starts at receiver. Know-little-about-offense Manny, or the guys he puts in charge of the offense.

If you think I’m trying to abdicate or excuse his ultimate responsibility - I’m not. He IS the head coach. In the end, he’s responsible for the whole nut.

But if everyone is going to get so granular about who starts and why they start, let’s be honest. It’s Lashlee and Likens who send the receivers they pick out there - it’s their decision.

Manny is ultimately responsible for what happens, but it’s their decision. Again, it’s the head coach that gets fired if they continue to underperform, so it’s his responsibility, that’s why he is head coach. Doesn’t change the fact that the offensive coaches are putting out there who they feel comfortable with.
Of course it is. Lashlee has players assigned to certain packages and series sets.

I keep hearing about favoritism with Pope and Wiggins but the coach who made the decision to start them was in his first season here with no prior relationship to either guy. Likens didn’t recruit either of them nor did he know either of them from Adam before last season. So we can eliminate favoritism at that position. Now, maybe guys on defense we’re getting playing time because the coaches there had an attachment to them. But none of those coaches are currently coaching on this team anymore, so we shouldn’t have to worry about the DB coach, the LB coach or the DL coach playing favorites this season.
Manny is very close with the south ridge kids, he’s very loyal.

It took an all time awful performance by them last year to make the staff realize they can’t keep rolling them out there , at least starting. I keep saying wr snap counts will look drastically different this season.

We should have a very good CB room with TRob at the helm

As D$ has said, Ivey has almost all the tools to be a real good college corner. He might not have elite speed or ball skills to be a top NFL guy but he’s got great length, physicality, and is good in man coverage. If his confidence improves which I think it will with TRob, the ball skills should improve and I think he plays well this year

Rumph was a mental midget that rubbed off on his corners play and Baker played too much zone

a Top 4 CB room of -

Stevenson
Ivey
Couch
Blades

Should be fun to watch
Ivey is not good in man coverage, he's awful in man.

And this whole confidence argument with Ivey is completely bogus...

Confidence comes from knowledge, when someone asks you a question & you know the answer you can answer confidently because you know it without doubt, when someone asks you to do something & you know what you're doing you can do it confidently because you have no doubts about what you're doing. If Ivey lacks confidence it's because he has no idea wtf he's doing or what he's supposed to be doing.

I'm not coming at you NV your my dog, I'm just dispelling this notion of Ivey just needing a "win one for the gipper" pep speech before every snap & then he'll suddenly transform into a good corner, that's just not reality. Good coverage comes from knowledge, instincts & traits, Ivey doesn't have the football IQ or the traits to be a good CB, if he did it wouldn't take him 3 years to figure it out, especially considering we you see TF's that play same position as him come right in & play exceptionally better than him all around the country.

Our CB group actually isn't even that bad, but the constant need to force feed Ivey at Boundary leaves a huge liability on the field that disrupts every other aspect of the Secondary, until he gets benched we'll only be as strong as our weakest link & the allowing of him to give up big play after big play without repercussion is the crux of the issue as it pertains to Manny & his Defense. He seems to not mind giving up back breaking TD's on Deep balls as long as his front 7 meet their quota for TFL's & sacks & therein lies the problem.

Brevin Jordan, Ahmon Richards, Zion Nelson, Trajan Bandy, Shaq Quarterman, Michael Pickney, Jaquan Johnson, Joe Jackson and there’s more
Ironically majority of those guys are position groups we’ve recruited horribly over the years. The cb and lb recruiting has been awful the entire time manny has been here, even as a dc. 55 and 56 had to play , there wasnt hardly any lbs left. Either kicked off or other issues. Finally we’re at Zion, the one guy who shouldn’t of ever played as a Fr, it was coaching malpractice and one of the worst coaching decisions I’ve even seen. Jj was special , other than Jackson the rest was richt guys on the offense. Manny is where the issues is with upperclassmen. There’s more than enough evidence over the years there’s smoke there.

Advertisement

Confidence comes from knowledge, when someone asks you a question & you know the answer you can answer confidently because you know it without doubt, when someone asks you to do something & you know what you're doing you can do it confidently because you have no doubts about what you're doing. If Ivey lacks confidence it's because he has no idea wtf he's doing or what he's supposed to be doing.

I'm not coming at you NV your my dog, I'm just dispelling this notion of Ivey just needing a "win one for the gipper" pep speech before every snap & then he'll suddenly transform into a good corner, that's just not reality. Good coverage comes from knowledge, instincts & traits, Ivey doesn't have the football IQ or the traits to be a good CB, if he did it wouldn't take him 3 years to figure it out, especially considering we you see TF's that play same position as him come right in & play exceptionally better than him all around the country.

Our CB group actually isn't even that bad, but the constant need to force feed Ivey at Boundary leaves a huge liability on the field that disrupts every other aspect of the Secondary, until he gets benched we'll only be as strong as our weakest link & the allowing of him to give up big play after big play without repercussion is the crux of the issue as it pertains to Manny & his Defense. He seems to not mind giving up back breaking TD's on Deep balls as long as his front 7 meet their quota for TFL's & sacks & therein lies the problem.
I agree with everything you say except for the last statement. Not a lot of options, thus the exist stage left for Rumph as a position coach, finally. Let's see who we trot out at the boundary this year. Huge issue going into 2020.

Ironically majority of those guys are position groups we’ve recruited horribly over the years. The cb and lb recruiting has been awful the entire time manny has been here, even as a dc. 55 and 56 had to play , there wasnt hardly any lbs left. Either kicked off or other issues. Finally we’re at Zion, the one guy who shouldn’t of ever played as a Fr, it was coaching malpractice and one of the worst coaching decisions I’ve even seen. Jj was special , other than Jackson the rest was richt guys on the offense. Manny is where the issues is with upperclassmen. There’s more than enough evidence over the years there’s smoke there.

He benched Al Blades, took snaps away from Cam Harris, benched Ford and was in the process of doing the same with Flagg for Jennings. We also started Campbell and Clark as freshmen.

The question until now has been not playing freshmen. Their performance is another issue.

He benched Al Blades, took snaps away from Cam Harris, benched Ford and was in the process of doing the same with Flagg for Jennings. We also started Campbell and Clark as freshmen.

The question until now has been not playing freshmen. Their performance is another issue.
So like most things its somewhere in-between as opposed to this clear older player favoritism thing that people are convinced is going on

Scaife should be playing center. He’s got enough hold and a good body for it. Rivers is the most physically gifted OL on the team and it’s not close IMO. It’s up to the coaches to get him ready. No excuse in **** as to why he’s not starting this season.
Are you forgetting about NaVaughn Donaldson?

Advertisement
Manny is very close with the south ridge kids, he’s very loyal.

It took an all time awful performance by them last year to make the staff realize they can’t keep rolling them out there , at least starting. I keep saying wr snap counts will look drastically different this season.
This is the point I was trying to make. Favorites played last year. Last year is behind us. Lets see how the coaches respond

Lol at benching blades , he got sat during the VT game , that was it. He was going to be back starting before his health issue. Not sure where that bs came from, he got a little spanking for VT, nothing more.

Ford as example is hurting your argument. He’s been mediocre for awhile now yet was still in and out of the starting lineup. Which is a shame, It took a year and a half of mediocre play to cut his snaps? Lol. Flagg played some yet you’re acting like he took Jennings job, BJ was atrocious yet they kept him starting , let’s not even discuss mccloud. You’re reaching over the years to find any name you can even though some of the names aren’t from this staff or there wasn’t any depth at the group. You once again used that method with Clark and Campbell, they had to play as Fr. God awful recruiting at lb, cb and ol put them out there.

If you choose not to believe me that’s fine , but there’s been an issue with this for awhile. Especially with manny. I’m not going to put dirt on the board but there’s a reason I keep saying there’ll be more younger guys playing or starting this year. Take that as you will.

Last edited:
Lol at benching blades , he got sat during the VT game , that was it. He was going to be back starting before his health issue. Not sure where that bs came from, he got a little spanking for VT, nothing more.

Ford as example is hurting your argument. He’s been mediocre for awhile now yet was still in and out of the starting lineup. Which is a shame, It took a year and a half of mediocre play to cut his snaps? Lol. Flagg played some yet you’re acting like he took Jennings job, BJ was atrocious yet they kept him starting , let’s not even discuss mccloud. You’re reaching over the years to find any name you can even though some of the names aren’t from this staff or there wasn’t any depth at the group. You once again used that method with Clark and Campbell, they had to play as Fr. God awful recruiting at lb, cb and ol put them out there.

If you choose not to believe me that’s fine , but there’s been an issue with this for awhile. Especially with manny. I’m not going to put dirt on the board but there’s a reason I keep saying there’ll be more younger guys playing or starting this year. Take that as you will.
I’m not making an argument I’m pointing out instances.

And as far as a reason for a player starting, nine out of 10 times when a young guy is playing at most programs it because of a depth issue at that position. It’s rarely a situation where a young guy comes in and dominates right out of high school.

Advertisement

So Manny is gonna play and start younger players based on other things besides merit just to avoid a controversy? Because thats how this reads.

This, this, and this.

Saying a CB walking into his 4th year "has all the tools but just needs confidence" is a lot like saying "she'd be an underwear model if she didn't have a flat chest and no ***". They are each lacking arguably the most important qualifications for their respective jobs. In Ivey's case the reason he "lacks confidence" is because the mental part of the game just is not there for him. The biggest difference between Ivey and the underwear model is she can hop on a plane, head to South America, and buy the things she's missing. Absent divine intervention, Ivey has no such option available to him.

So like most things its somewhere in-between as opposed to this clear older player favoritism thing that people are convinced is going on
This is the correct answer. There's certainly a comfort level with a veteran player that factors in to the equation. Likewise, we see freshmen getting snaps to gain experience to prove themselves.

This is the correct answer. There's certainly a comfort level with a veteran player that factors in to the equation. Likewise, we see freshmen getting snaps to gain experience to prove themselves.
Exactly , manny always leans towards vets because of knowing the system. Flagg is a high iq player so that explains him playing. As for offense , manny is super loyal especially to Pope and Wiggins. I think he gave them every chance last year to prove themselves as starters, but at some point you have to realize what they are. That’s why I keep saying the snaps will look quite different this year.
So Manny is gonna play and start younger players based on other things besides merit just to avoid a controversy? Because thats how this reads.

I wouldn’t say controversy , just guys could leave. It’s a bad look when two guys keep dropping everything thrown their way yet they keep starting. It’s a really bad look.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back