Spring PractiSe #5 **TUESDAY**

So whats the hate for McCloud at DE? Just curious as to why the board is so negative about it.

He sucked as a LB, but hes playing a completely different position now. In the one game at DE he played, with no prior experience, he graded out as the top DE.

Teach me football here guys, is it impossible for a player to be better at one position and contribute late in their careers? I bet Sam Shields is glad af none of you were in charge of his career lol.

Advertisement
You think TRob and Simpson have no say? You take a mope pill today? Let's see what happens before you go on suicide watch.
Who said anything about suicide watch?

And no, they don't have a say over the HC, the HC determines the depth chart & Manny will go with the "eXpeRiEnCeD vEtS" always.

It's no issue to me, I'm just preparing people that thought there was going to be a huge turnover on the depth chart, it won't.

The same Defense that was out there last year will be this year, except DeAndre Johnson & Tyrique Stevenson will be in place of Quincy Roche & Al Blades Jr.

It is what it is.

I think the "seniority first" mindset has taken hold as common belief now. Just like when Richt played Rosier while everyone was clamoring for Perry/Williams, there might just be a valid reason it seems that way.

Let's see the spring game and maybe a depth chart before we panic.

Advertisement
I don’t think Manny has a seniority issue at all. The only reason some older, less-talented players were on the field is because he didn’t recruit better replacements.

Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud played early. He benched Blades for Couch. The only real seniority issue I can think of was Patchan initially starting over Rousseau, and that was injury-related. Rousseau got the job quickly and Patchan bounced.

Manny said McCloud might play a Trent Harris role. That makes the most sense at this stage. His issue is going to setting the edge.

I will admit, McCloud has been so bad that his name just leaves a bad taste..... BUT I do understand that he's at a different position now and I will give him the benefit of the doubt. We all know DE fits him better anyway. At the very least, I also give him props for even making that transition UNLIKE Carter who we all know needs to be a LB.

Now I said all that to say.... I still don't want to see him on my field. Thanks for trying to help the team but.... no

Advertisement
Yeah but how many times did UNC score on us in this practice? These guys always leave out the important details.

Who should’ve played on defense that didn’t?
Not to speak for El but I believe the worry is guys like Avantae Williams and Chantz Williams getting a fair shot because McCloud may know the scheme better. In the past we kept trotting Knowles out in the secondary over youngsters like Hall, and now Hall and Carter may be getting burn at the expense of the Williams' kids.

Last edited:
The main issue/debate is this.... The older guys have the experience over the younger guys so in PRACTICE, they make less mistakes. For example, they have raved about how Carter is probably the smartest dude on the team. He knows the plays and assignments inside out. So of course coaches are going to play based on practice performance when there aren't any other factors involved. My issue is.... When does game performance matter with this staff? I think the fact that we rotate so much(TOO MUCH) that it honestly doesn't matter who starts.... We've seen it last yr where some guys who started got less snaps than the backups. We never really ride the "hot hand".

Advertisement
Not to speak for Liberty but I believe the worry is guys like Avantae Williams and Chantz Williams getting a fair shot because McCloud may know the scheme better. In the past we kept trotting Knowles out in the secondary over youngsters like Hall, and now Hall and Carter may be getting burn at the expense of the Williams' kids.
But it’s not based on evidence. Hall started 11 games as a sophomore and was second on the team in tackles. The year before that he backed up two NFL players.

Advertisement
The main issue/debate is this.... The older guys have the experience over the younger guys so in PRACTICE, they make less mistakes. For example, they have raved about how Carter is probably the smartest dude on the team. He knows the plays and assignments inside out. So of course coaches are going to play based on practice performance when there aren't any other factors involved. My issue is.... When does game performance matter with this staff? I think the fact that we rotate so much(TOO MUCH) that it honestly doesn't matter who starts.... We've seen it last yr where some guys who started got less snaps than the backups. We never really ride the "hot hand".
I'm good with playing Carter for a series a game, let him target the top player on the opposing offense and take his timeout.

I'm good with playing Carter for a series a game, let him target the top player on the opposing offense and take his timeout.
Honestly, I hate to agree with this style of play but that would be the best option lol. He's going to get kicked out anyway so why not make it beneficial to us. Knock their top player head off and you've done your job for the day.

But it’s not based on evidence. Hall started 11 games as a sophomore and was second on the team in tackles. The year before that he backed up two NFL players.
From my perspective I would've rather seen far more of the young backers last year over McCloud and Jennings. I realize Covid played a part but those older guys got way too many snaps, they were terrible.

Now we have some younger DE's that are promising and need reps and we read McCloud has been a standout, it seems like deja Vu. I would love for McCloud to prove me wrong, just don't see it.

Advertisement
Back