Practice things

Pat Bethel has been moved to tackle according to what Matt Porter saw at practice. He was second team with Moten. Willis wasn't out there today.

I told y'all boys since we've recruited him, he's gonna be a DT.

Needs to add more weight. He will probably be a tweener this year.

has not moved but has practiced something like he has probably been always doing. Just like they told you all cbs will practice at safety, but people are saying already redwine had moved to safety
Bethel's best bet may be to take a RS. It could potentially best benefit the team and his prospect status.

Explain the "reshirt" thing. you redshirt a player and he plays lights out the 2nd and 3rd years...... boom, he's gone to the show. You don't reshirt the player and he plays lights out the the 2nd and 3rd years, boom he's gone to the show. how many really good players stay more than 3 years???

Advertisement
Pat Bethel has been moved to tackle according to what Matt Porter saw at practice. He was second team with Moten. Willis wasn't out there today.

has not moved but has practiced something like he has probably been always doing. Just like they told you all cbs will practice at safety, but people are saying already redwine had moved to safety
Bethel's best bet may be to take a RS. It could potentially best benefit the team and his prospect status.

We might need him to play big minutes at DT in 2018. I don't want him sitting on the bench this year when he could be rotating in on passing downs or when guys get tired or hurt, getting valuable experience so he won't be coming in cold next year.

Burns is gigantic. If he can retain athleticism at that size look out. Ty Moss was a big RB like that with nifty feet. He was really cranking it up as a RB before he shredded his knee.

King Don doesn't look sloppy fat. So much for that 375 pound nonsense. Clearly, they signed him with the idea of plugging him in right away and getting 3 years of starts out of him.

LULZ at the McDermott hate on here. He's going to be nice for us this year.

Pretty sure a few weeks back it was felt that ND was going to need a year to get right. He may not be 373 at the moment but he for sure has some bad weight. I think it speaks more to the lack of quality OL recruiting in the past that he is day one starting Tackle.

I can understand where a loser would have that mentality. A loser automatically says, "UM's recruiting and roster must suck if Donaldson can come in and run with the 1s."

Reality is that King Don is not a project or a developmental player. He's a gigantic behemoth with excellent athleticism. Anyone who got lucky enough to sign him was going to work him into the lineup as quickly as possible.

Both Washington and Alabama had true freshmen starting on their OL in their playoff matchup. Whether it's out of necessity or purely talent, true freshmen starting happens everywhere.

It's a different game today. True freshmans are more advanced physically these days and ready to play.

Combination of that and Scholly limits... back in the day freshmen weren't allowed to play year 1 even if they were ready. Now freshman have to be ready to play. All n all freshman playing early isn't anything new in cfb.

We might need him to play big minutes at DT in 2018. I don't want him sitting on the bench this year when he could be rotating in on passing downs or when guys get tired or hurt, getting valuable experience so he won't be coming in cold next year.
His potential big need in 2018 is why I'm suggesting a RS may be the best bet. So long as we stay healthy, he's really unlikely to get anything more than mop-up time, if that. Why not let him get his work at DT in practice while focusing on the necessary technique and physical growth? Some light mop-up duty is unlikely to be the difference in him coming in cold the following year.

Advertisement

Explain the "reshirt" thing. you redshirt a player and he plays lights out the 2nd and 3rd years...... boom, he's gone to the show. You don't reshirt the player and he plays lights out the the 2nd and 3rd years, boom he's gone to the show. how many really good players stay more than 3 years???
Just explained above. He is unlikely to log meaningful minutes at DT this upcoming year, but may be needed to be a critical piece in 2018. If a RS year to assure physical growth and transition to DT is what helps that process, it's something to consider (not saying it'll happen).

Just explained above. He is unlikely to log meaningful minutes at DT this upcoming year, but may be needed to be a critical piece in 2018. If a RS year to assure physical growth and transition to DT is what helps that process, it's something to consider (not saying it'll happen).

So he balls out in 2018 & he's gone. Really doesn't make much difference.
I understand taking the year to develop physically, but as you mentioned it's not likely.

So he balls out in 2018 & he's gone. Really doesn't make much difference.
I understand taking the year to develop physically, but as you mentioned it's not likely.
I don't see Bethel as a guy who plays one year at DT (in 2018) and leaves, but we shall see how it all plays out. What we can all agree on is we need guys to step up at DT in 2018. I'm for whatever makes that happen. Yes, I get the "just trust Coach Kul." We still need guys.

Could you describe it? I just watched that video, and I wasn't picking up on it. Maybe you could give a little detail.
From what I saw, it's the way he drops his elbow on his windup, it's what you normally see from guys who play baseball & are also QB's.

Imo, it's not much of problem as long as he gets rid of it quickly, it's not a super elongated release so it isn't really a big deal to me, but it's not necessarily the textbook way you'd like for your QB to throw it.

Overall, it won't mean anything if he's winning games.

Advertisement

Could you describe it? I just watched that video, and I wasn't picking up on it. Maybe you could give a little detail.
From what I saw, it's the way he drops his elbow on his windup, it's what you normally see from guys who play baseball & are also QB's.

Imo, it's not much of problem as long as he gets rid of it quickly, it's not a super elongated release so it isn't really a big deal to me, but it's not necessarily the textbook way you'd like for your QB to throw it.

OK I just re-watched every throw. Both practice and in those semi scrimmage RPO throws. I watched carefully. I did not see him drop his elbow, I did not see a hitch. If I missed it, I sure would like to be told at what point in the video he has the hitch, and a description of the hitch.

What I actually saw, was a pretty quick release, a decent release point, and a fairly smooth fluid throwing motion. The one issue I could see with him is that his release point is just a little bit low and he's not a tall guy, so he might get some passes batted down here and there.

As far as a hitch, couldn't find it.

It's really bad and incredibly slow. Put the Duke highlight tape on and watch towards the end of the video. They have a good slow motion shot of him dropping the ball down by his fvckin hips.

His technique is bad.

Based on production as a true freshman, you would have been skeptical of Sean Taylor as a safety.

And Ed Reed.

Two of our best players ever. I see you guys!
Andre Johnson took a RS.

DJ Williams played FB

This is all funny, one just need to look at video from camp reports last year or from the special teams coverage to see the young man has some talent. Same to a few other guys that have not started yet!!! Some times the light goes on later for some.

It's really bad and incredibly slow. Put the Duke highlight tape on and watch towards the end of the video. They have a good slow motion shot of him dropping the ball down by his fvckin hips.

His technique is bad.

Didn't do it once on that clip.

Show me against Duke and I'll believe you.

Look, I'm not saying he's the man or not, all I'm saying is now we've got a bunch of armchair QB coaches finding "hitches" and "mechanics" problems, but when they get called out about specifics they clam up tighter than a nun in a convent.

As far as his delivery being slow, I didn't see that. But I didn't time it either, did you? Let's have the numbers. I'm saying, based on the limited information I have, he passes the eye test on release. I'm not saying he's a great or even good QB. Only the games will tell.

He's got some technical problems? Fine. Perfect. Point them out specifically. Otherwise you sound like the drunk at the end of the bar, spouting off with no clue.

Advertisement
That's a pretty nasty hitch in his release...

His technique is bad.

Didn't do it once on that clip.

Show me against Duke and I'll believe you.

Look, I'm not saying he's the man or not, all I'm saying is now we've got a bunch of armchair QB coaches finding "hitches" and "mechanics" problems, but when they get called out about specifics they clam up tighter than a nun in a convent.

As far as his delivery being slow, I didn't see that. But I didn't time it either, did you? Let's have the numbers. I'm saying, based on the limited information I have, he passes the eye test on release. I'm not saying he's a great or even good QB. Only the games will tell.

He's got some technical problems? Fine. Perfect. Point them out specifically. Otherwise you sound like the drunk at the end of the bar, spouting off with no clue.

him having an elongated release isn't the same as a QB like Kaaya having a longer release. Malik will get back in his drop quicker, has decent arm-strength, and can escape the pocket if necessary. It's baseball mechanics but not anywhere near Tebow.

Are we really discussing mechanics? There's been far better qb's with far worse mechanics than Rosier. Jesus , it's like some of y'all need something to cry about at all times.

Concept is simple--redshirt somebody if they're not going to help you much. Who cares if they leave early? If they weren't going to help you this year, it doesn't matter. If they are going to help you (even a substantial and meaningful ST role that is hard to replace), then fine play them.

Depth is useful. Not everybody has to be a star (ie really good). If he is a 5th year senior and is not great but can be your 4th DT and keep you from playing somebody you don't want to play, great. Courtel Jenkins for instance was not a star on this team but if we needed a 5th year senior to play like Courtel Jenkins that would have value. Nobody thought Gus Edwards was great but it would be quite useful to have him right now because we don't have depth.

Redshirts make even more sense in this growing era of grad transfers. If he finishes 4 years as a RSJr and is not going to play at all, tell him that and he'll probably move on and won't clog your roster (if that is a concern).

Advertisement

Sorry I haven't responded I've been out all weekend. Maybe "hitch" isn't the right word - more of a "windup" that takes up extra time/motion during his release. I like to see QBs have a more compact release, i.e. closer to their head.

This is actually a better video to illustrate what I see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfFWdkU9cVw

Now the interesting thing is that, even with his longer release, there are some incredibly accurate throws in that video. The first sideline throw at :04 was ridiculous. Even so you can see that he tends to "draw" his arm back pretty far before releasing. The next throw at :16 (seam to Njoku) you can see it as well - in this case that extra split-second causes the ball to be thrown a bit behind. Still a great catch and run but if that ball is a bit out front, maybe its another 10 yards. On the next play (free play offsides at :27) you can see it as well.

None of this is to say that Rosier is terrible or that he won't win the starting job or whatever. His accuracy, even with the longer release, is impressive - at least in that video. The biggest issue with a slower release is one of timing. If Richt is looking to develop a quicker-strike passing attack with more slants, screens, hitches, etc., then a quick release is very important. Again - not saying it's not correctable or that Rosier can't win games for us - just something mechanical I saw and wanted to point out.

Sorry I haven't responded I've been out all weekend. Maybe "hitch" isn't the right word - more of a "windup" that takes up extra time/motion during his release. I like to see QBs have a more compact release, i.e. closer to their head.

Now the interesting thing is that, even with his longer release, there are some incredibly accurate throws in that video. The first sideline throw at :04 was ridiculous. Even so you can see that he tends to "draw" his arm back pretty far before releasing. The next throw at :16 (seam to Njoku) you can see it as well - in this case that extra split-second causes the ball to be thrown a bit behind. Still a great catch and run but if that ball is a bit out front, maybe its another 10 yards. On the next play (free play offsides at :27) you can see it as well.

None of this is to say that Rosier is terrible or that he won't win the starting job or whatever. His accuracy, even with the longer release, is impressive - at least in that video. The biggest issue with a slower release is one of timing. If Richt is looking to develop a quicker-strike passing attack with more slants, screens, hitches, etc., then a quick release is very important. Again - not saying it's not correctable or that Rosier can't win games for us - just something mechanical I saw and wanted to point out.

Throwing dimes all over the field.

No, he doesn't have a super compact throwing motion and lightning release, like say, Marino.

But he doesn't have that windmill set up either, like say Tim Teabag. Where you could cook a minute steak while you were waiting for him to line up his throw.

His motion looks good enough to me. I'm not saying it couldn't be more compact. But I think it's good enough. I think it's his other aspects of the game that are going to be more important to determine if he's successful or not, like the mental aspect of it. And I'm sure Rick is working with him to make his motion even tighter, if that's perceived to be a problem.

Throwing dimes all over the field.

No, he doesn't have a super compact throwing motion and lightning release, like say, Marino.

But he doesn't have that windmill set up either, like say Tim Teabag. Where you could cook a minute steak while you were waiting for him to line up his throw.

His motion looks good enough to me. I'm not saying it couldn't be more compact. But I think it's good enough. I think it's his other aspects of the game that are going to be more important to determine if he's successful or not, like the mental aspect of it. And I'm sure Rick is working with him to make his motion even tighter, if that's perceived to be a problem.

Agree with all of this.

Advertisement
Back