Practice things

Advertisement
That's a pretty nasty hitch in his release...

Could you describe it? I just watched that video, and I wasn't picking up on it. Maybe you could give a little detail.

Sorry I haven't responded I've been out all weekend. Maybe "hitch" isn't the right word - more of a "windup" that takes up extra time/motion during his release. I like to see QBs have a more compact release, i.e. closer to their head.

This is actually a better video to illustrate what I see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfFWdkU9cVw

Now the interesting thing is that, even with his longer release, there are some incredibly accurate throws in that video. The first sideline throw at :04 was ridiculous. Even so you can see that he tends to "draw" his arm back pretty far before releasing. The next throw at :16 (seam to Njoku) you can see it as well - in this case that extra split-second causes the ball to be thrown a bit behind. Still a great catch and run but if that ball is a bit out front, maybe its another 10 yards. On the next play (free play offsides at :27) you can see it as well.

None of this is to say that Rosier is terrible or that he won't win the starting job or whatever. His accuracy, even with the longer release, is impressive - at least in that video. The biggest issue with a slower release is one of timing. If Richt is looking to develop a quicker-strike passing attack with more slants, screens, hitches, etc., then a quick release is very important. Again - not saying it's not correctable or that Rosier can't win games for us - just something mechanical I saw and wanted to point out.

Throwing dimes all over the field.

No, he doesn't have a super compact throwing motion and lightning release, like say, Marino.

But he doesn't have that windmill set up either, like say Tim Teabag. Where you could cook a minute steak while you were waiting for him to line up his throw.

His motion looks good enough to me. I'm not saying it couldn't be more compact. But I think it's good enough. I think it's his other aspects of the game that are going to be more important to determine if he's successful or not, like the mental aspect of it. And I'm sure Rick is working with him to make his motion even tighter, if that's perceived to be a problem.

Agree with all of this.

These are highlights, so he'll obviously look good. Rosier's issue is consistency. He struggled in the second half of that game, and we held on for dear life. And Richt has said he tries to force the ball and be the hero too much, which is the kiss of depth for a system coach like Richt. On the other hand, Rosier has had a year to mature and learn under this staff, so he may be a totally different and improved player now. The fact he's taking first snaps suggest he's impressing the coaches.

I would say he is taking the first reps because he is the oldest. There is a lot of QB's there right now. The guy who wins is the guy with the most confidence. Most coaches in these situations don't pick someone until last week of August. I am really hoping one of these guys jumps off the page and dominates from the get-go. Let all the other guys transfer.

Kaaya only played as a true freshman cause Ryan Williams tore his acl and Jake Heaps is Jake Heaps. I'll bet you $100 Perry will not be starting the season as the starter. Gtfoh

Let's hear the case for why it will be anyone else.

bc they are way ahead of him in knowing the playbook, the tempo, what the coaches expect in practice.... Perry is getting redshirted 9/10.

The starting QB competition for this year is realistically going to be between Malik Rosier, Jack Allison, and Evan Shirreffs.

Only way he redshirt is if he absolutely aint ready to play. Those 3 dudes just aint good enough to hold him off.

I don't know what Highlights any of you are watching of Perry but he has a long LONG way to go. to be a starter at this level of College Football.

I Guarantee Perry gets Redshirted his freshman yr, ...**** I will take it one step further, he never sees the field here as a starter

As next year Big Artur Sitkowski gets on campus and he's ready to go right now

Advertisement
Kaaya only played as a true freshman cause Ryan Williams tore his acl and Jake Heaps is Jake Heaps. I'll bet you $100 Perry will not be starting the season as the starter. Gtfoh

bc they are way ahead of him in knowing the playbook, the tempo, what the coaches expect in practice.... Perry is getting redshirted 9/10.

The starting QB competition for this year is realistically going to be between Malik Rosier, Jack Allison, and Evan Shirreffs.

Only way he redshirt is if he absolutely aint ready to play. Those 3 dudes just aint good enough to hold him off.

I don't know what Highlights any of you are watching of Perry but he has a long LONG way to go. to be a starter at this level of College Football.

I Guarantee Perry gets Redshirted his freshman yr, ...**** I will take it one step further, he never sees the field here as a starter

You can say that about any qb on the roster including the 2018 qb commit Sitkowski. If Perry is an impact player at the qb position hes starting even if hes not the "best" qb on the team.

Sitkowski ready to go now? Do you know the stats of his last season?

Guys can look good in QB drills all day but when it comes down to it Perry is a winner. Perry makes things happen.

Not knocking Sitkowski just saying he is not "ready to go now".

The fact is you can't tell **** until they start playing with D1 players facing them. A lot of adjustments from HS to College.

Your hot take was just ok til you shīt the bad with your last sentence.

Advertisement
Back