Power 5 optimism dwindling for on-time start to season

Advertisement
Idk what the protocol is now but what if each player and staff member was tested for COVID-19 everyday during the season. I think the turnaround time is now down to 24 hours from test to results. Perhaps the prestige of Miami Med can implement a faster system for a small network. Not to mention future tests (or a more reliable antibodies test) can be much quicker in the coming months.

With timely results, I think you could manage it. If someone tests positive, they are pulled out for 2-weeks before they expose others. I’m not up on the science on whether you can spread the virus before you would test positive on a swab, but I feel like that’s someway to limit having 1 case become 10. This would also theoretically eliminate the danger of the team getting together since you’d know they were all virus free. The same would go for opposing teams taking the same approach.

I think you could devise a system to minimize risks such that football does not pose a greater risk than simply existing. Travel prevents some other issues but nothing insurmountable.

I’m mostly trying to will the season to happen.

how about the doctors and nurses I know that see these patients personally? care to discard their experiences with your stupidity?
I know plenty of doctors and nurses who see Covid patients being in healthcare myself, and I can tell you these tests produce a lot of false positives considering CV comes from a similar epidemiological family as the common cold. Also, I know several people who have been to the larger public testing sites throughout Dade & Broward and after signing in via mobile triage to confirm their test, and waiting to be seen for hours they would leave the site without telling anyone only to receive phone calls later from the testing site to confirm they tested positive for CV19.

Advertisement
If men could play football during World War I, World War II, the Spanish flu, Swine flu, etc. then they can strap up and play now. We're talking about young, healthy, in shape men. These aren't 90 year old women with a history of respiratory diseases.

The fact of the matter is, from an optics standpoint, none of these ADs have balls and want to be the first one to say "you're god**** right we're playing". They're hoping someone else makes the tough decision for them. But no season? That's financial suicide for many schools.

We live in a society of pussies. Everybody is scared. Scared of what they say. Scared of what they do. Scared of how people will think something looks. It's pathetic. That's how I know there will be no CFB this fall.

It's called kicking the can down the road, and that's what bureaucrats do. If they delay the season they'll be doing it in the hope of a cure or that people will eventually get desensitized to the VID and realize that kids are going to catch it.

My guess is they'll delay the start of the season in the hope that the current spikes will calm down and in the hope that once the current spikes calm that people will get more comfortable with the idea that college kids are going to catch it whether there's football or not and that the sequela of the infection in young people is incredibly minor.
Wait a minute. Now franchise, I told y’all Wayback in the early stages of the ****ake that this was not a virus but a pathogenic bacteria/biological weapon. Now just yesterday you questioned my mental health or something to that effect.

I’ve been saying all along that this is just a game. Now if y’all want to go out here wearing masks for prolonged periods of time, killing your **** selves/sales, that’s on you. But let’s not sugarcoat this thing. This is nothing more then a political strategy to separate the sheeple from the people.

Last edited:
I’ll say this much. Anybody and or any institution who moved forward with a business as usual paradigm will be way way way ahead of everyone else when the dust settles.
Buy cryptocurrency’s and Silver. Play ball!

Advertisement
Thanks for the post OP.

Until we make the necessary changes to drive down Covid-19, the cases will continue to grow. Doing nothing and just "getting use to it", is not acceptable because the virus will spread exponentially when nothing is done. We can do this. For right now, the mask is our vaccine. So, please use them.
What are the necessary changes? please be specific. Masks according to the CDC can bring down the infection rate by 5% if worn by everyone nation wide. I hope that’s not what you’re referring to when you say necessary changes.

Last edited:
What are the necessary changes? please be specific. Masks according to the CDC can bring down the infection rate by 5% if worn by everyone nation wide. I hope that’s not what you’re referring to when you say necessary changes.

The mask thing is mostly about human beings thinking they have the power to control nature. It's window dressing. There's a great meme around of a virologist in a hazmat suit and the caption "this is how a virologist protects himself, but I'm sure your bandana will work just as well." Personally, if it makes scared people less scared, I'm all for masks. But it's not going to stop nature.

The mask thing is mostly about human beings thinking they have the power to control nature. It's window dressing. There's a great meme around of a virologist in a hazmat suit and the caption "this is how a virologist protects himself, but I'm sure your bandana will work just as well." Personally, if it makes scared people less scared, I'm all for masks. But it's not going to stop nature.

I have seen no evidence that masks alone in general help. The only effective masks are N95 type and those are not typically used by the general public. Face coverings in general are probably not making much of a difference. Yet I see people wearing them on the beach or in other outdoor environments even though sunlight has been shown to shorten the life span of the virus and airborne transmission outdoors is less likely. The only effective means for the general public is social distancing and proper hygiene practices. The masks seem more about conformity, and allaying fears, than sound health practice.

That was your intention, but that's not what you did. You presented 2 things that are both true. Kids need to attend in person for several reasons (social, mental, financial, etc). They would also be put at high risk in our current high rate of transmission. The fact that 2 completely different news channels presented each side is not controversial nor some sort of conspiracy.

What we didn't need to do was open too early, open tooany things, and make wearing a mask political. With so much success around us, we just need to implement what other countries have done successfully. All need need is a plan the will to execute it.

News goes through an editorial process so is filtered before being broadcasted. It seems clear to me that not all news is filtered the same and what gets put out is a conscious effort on the part of those who control the editorial process to have an intended effect. Mostly, it is to draw clicks and viewership. I don't think it is always driven by political motives, but I don't discount political motives in some cases either. So uncontextualized and sensationalized headlines are common.

In the example I gave it was clear the sensational nature of one's editorial choice of how to spin the news over the other. Increased cases by itself is not necessarily an indication of worsening conditions. There does not seem to be clear evidence that kids are super spreaders of the virus since they typically have very mild symptoms, if at all. Yet they chose to couple the fact of increased cases with the president's mandate to governors to open schools. Because of no context the headline is meant to create unwarranted concern or fear about reopening schools.

I recall seeing a headline that an individual caught the virus twice in a news article. I went on to read the article and it was clear that the medical professionals who treated the person said that the person who caught COVID originally and recovered was probably still shedding inactive virus from the first contamination. The reason for the hospital visit were even due to symptoms unrelated to COVID;
yet you would not get this information unless you read past the sensational headline. This is all too common an occurrence and in our Twitter/social media world, misinformation based on ill informed readers and visceral reactions to sensational headlines spreads like wildfire.

Advertisement
News goes through an editorial process so is filtered before being broadcasted. It seems clear to me that not all news is filtered the same and what gets put out is a conscious effort on the part of those who control the editorial process to have an intended effect. Mostly, it is to draw clicks and viewership. I don't think it is always driven by political motives, but I don't discount political motives in some cases either. So uncontextualized and sensationalized headlines are common.

In the example I gave it was clear the sensational nature of one's editorial choice of how to spin the news over the other. Increased cases by itself is not necessarily an indication of worsening conditions. There does not seem to be clear evidence that kids are super spreaders of the virus since they typically have very mild symptoms, if at all. Yet they chose to couple the fact of increased cases with the president's mandate to governors to open schools. Because of no context the headline is meant to create unwarranted concern or fear about reopening schools.

I recall seeing a headline that an individual caught the virus twice in a news article. I went on to read the article and it was clear that the medical professionals who treated the person said that the person who caught COVID originally and recovered was probably still shedding inactive virus from the first contamination. The reason for the hospital visit were even due to symptoms unrelated to COVID;
yet you would not get this information unless you read past the sensational headline. This is all too common an occurrence and in our Twitter/social media world, misinformation based on ill informed readers and visceral reactions to sensational headlines spreads like wildfire.
Well, I don't consider Twiiter and social media as news outlets. There's lots of confusing information out there and that's the problem. Another is the politicization of wearing masks. Absolutely crazy.

All we need to do is look at how other countries have handled the virus successfully. Do what they did.

I don't know where you're getting that figure. Also, any number has to factor in compliance.

Here's an article that says face masks reduce the chance of infection rate by 85%. I think with 100% compliance, the chance if infection should be zero.

I know plenty of doctors and nurses who see Covid patients being in healthcare myself, and I can tell you these tests produce a lot of false positives considering CV comes from a similar epidemiological family as the common cold. Also, I know several people who have been to the larger public testing sites throughout Dade & Broward and after signing in via mobile triage to confirm their test, and waiting to be seen for hours they would leave the site without telling anyone only to receive phone calls later from the testing site to confirm they tested positive for CV19.

This is such bull****. This is a Qanon talking point running around social media. It has been debunked ad nauseum.

This is the reason we are so fooked as a country. These MAGAhats keep peddling this crazy ****.

Advertisement
Well, I don't consider Twiiter and social media as news outlets. There's lots of confusing information out there and that's the problem. Another is the politicization of wearing masks. Absolutely crazy.

All we need to do is look at how other countries have handled the virus successfully. Do what they did.

Other countries are opening up schools. Some Scandinavian countries never even shut down. They chose to focus on protecting the most vulnerable and let herd immunity proceed naturally for the rest of their population. It's what we should have done from the beginning but unfortunately politicization and not science was the main driver for our reactions which tended to be over-reactions.

Thanks for posting that. Interesting read. This is the gold nugget, IMO...

"A hope among one administrator: The climate on how the public views the virus changes from one of hopelessness to acceptance that the virus is here for the foreseeable future and a return to normalcy is needed on college campuses."

I believe that will happen. It sums up my personal feelings on covid now for a long long time. In fact, I believe that quote above is inevitable. But will it happen soon enough to save a CFB season? That I'm not as optimistic about.
As long as there's political hay to be made from Covid, the public view will not change. The incumbent, whether federal, state, or local, will be saying they did their best and downplay while their challenger will hyperbolize. The earliest I'd expect rationality to return is November 4th.

I swear, man, this program is ******* cursed.

And who else is cursed? That's right the Dolphins. Bingo:

a13c9ca21673d9ee6f617b179feeb50c.jpg

I don't know where you're getting that figure. Also, any number has to factor in compliance.

Here's an article that says face masks reduce the chance of infection rate by 85%. I think with 100% compliance, the chance if infection should be zero.

This is a shoddy study and it was even admitted as such by researchers. Unless you have randomized and controlled conditions at best this is just based on common sense assumptions and not scientifically verifiable conclusions.

Advertisement
Back