Power 5 optimism dwindling for on-time start to season

Mackmiller974

All ACC
Optimism for an on-time start to the college football season has sunk in recent weeks as conference administrators are now seriously grappling with the possibility of delays.

Cases continue to rise (along with hospitalizations and positive test rates) as COVID-19 grabs hold of the country at the start of the second half of the calendar year, and with the rise in infections has come an increase in belief among Power 5 conference administrators the season will not start in late August and early September, multiple industry sources tell 247Sports.

“Everyone is pessimistic,” in regards to an on-time start to the season, one Power 5 administrator told 247Sports this week.

A spring season is the last resort for the Power 5, a conference administrator tells 247Sports, but a delay almost seems inevitable, another source said.

The biggest issue is uncertainty. The Southeastern Conference and many others have targeted late July or early August as the last hour to decide whether to start the season on time.

IVY LEAGUE DECISION WON'T SWAY POWER 5

The Ivy League is expected to announce Wednesday a shortened season or delayed start in the spring, but the FCS conference’s decision will not serve as a guide for the Autonomy 5 as the Power 5 conference’s commissioners work together on contingency plans for the season, sources tell 247Sports.

"I don't think people understand how that (decision) simply doesn't affect us," an administrator said.

FBS conferences followed the lead of the Ivy League in mid-March, when the league was the first to cancel its postseason basketball tournament. The real-time decision in March amid a new growing threat, however, is much different in circumstance and scope than the impending decision Wednesday concerning football in the Ivy League. Power 5 commissioners have discussed the need to wait and not follow the Ivy League in meetings this week.

Conference commissioners, athletic directors and head coaches have tried to remain positive in the public spotlight and when meeting their teams on the ground, but behind closed doors they are just as anxious as millions of college football fans.

“Nobody knows” what will happen, one Power 5 athletics director admitted.

“We said from the onset of this pandemic that circumstances around the virus would guide our decision-making, and it is clear recent developments related to COVID-19 have not been trending in the right direction,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said. “There are important decisions to be made in the coming weeks and by late July there should be more clarity about the fall season. In the meantime, our athletics programs will continue to effectively manage the health and safety of our student-athletes as they continue voluntary activities on their respective campuses.”

Power 5 conferences previously moved their annual media days to virtual-only formats. The ACC and Big 12 have set dates for online-only events, but the SEC will not make a decision on when it will conduct its media days until a decision on the first week of the college football season is reached in late July or early August, an SEC source said.

PR 'NIGHTMARE' WEIGHING ON OFFICIALS

Of concern among decision-makers is the potential for a publication-relations nightmare should they push forward with a season if case numbers — and deaths — rise across the country. Health and safety is paramount, but backlash from the media and fans as science mixes with politics is also weighing heavily on the minds of administrators, one industry source said. A hope among one administrator: The climate on how the public views the virus changes from one of hopelessness to acceptance that the virus is here for the foreseeable future and a return to normalcy is needed on college campuses.

Much of that relies also on presidents and chancellors as they decide whether to allow students on college campuses or utilize a hybrid model that includes in-person and online-only instruction. Harvard University made waves this week when it announced all classes will be conducted virtually during the 2020-21 academic year, though it will allow up to 40% of undergraduates to remain on campus.

"We have made clear that in order for student-athletes to be on campus, our campuses must be open on some basis to students, including on a hybrid basis,” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said.

TIMELINE FOR CONFERENCES: THE 11th HOUR

Several conferences will utilize as much time as possible before making decisions throughout the fall. The SEC is expected to make a decision on whether to continue the season as planned in late July or early August, but they are not expected to entertain a full cancellation of fall sports as early as August, a source said. Most Power 5 conferences are willing to wait until the 11th hour and re-evaluate circumstances on a week-to-week basis through the fall, though many within the conference offices, particularly in the ACC, Pac-12 and SEC, have questioned the logistics of keeping players on campus if the season is delayed more than once.

“As it relates to thresholds of numbers of teams to conduct a season, we have modeled out many different scenarios for conducting a season but have not set thresholds in this regard,” Scott said of the Pax-12

Meanwhile, on the ground, FBS schools continue to fight the virus on campuses that resemble ghost towns without student populations. Some athletic programs have been successful maintaining a bubble (Notre Dame has one positive test among 252 COVID-19 tests conducted within its athletics department since mid-June) while others shut down team activities (Kansas, Kansas State, Houston and Boise State) amid small outbreaks.

Optimism ebbs and flows.

“It depends on the week,” said a Power 5 head coach requesting anonymity. “I’m trying to stay positive and keep our guys safe and healthy right now.”

Inconsistencies in testing protocols and guidelines across conference offices in the FBS continue. The NCAA’s lack of action and enforceable guidelines has frustrated some, particularly outside the Power 5.

“With the policies and guidelines we have in place now, I don’t know how we could play,” an FBS head coach told 247Sports. “We have very few kids who are symptomatic but the contact tracing and asymptomatic quarantining guidelines would kill us during the season. And I still worry about the kids who are missing training now in order to prepare their bodies for practice and the games.”

Advertisement
It would be just our luck that a once in a lifetime pandemic shuts down our chances of being relevant in college football again.

Everything was setting up perfectly:

- Top 10 QB in the country, maybe top 5.
- High octane offense that no one is prepared to defend.
- Laughlably easy schedule.
- An experienced defense.
- Recruiting momentum.

I swear, man, this program is ******* cursed.

This is why I get so triggered by people on this board shoving COVID-19 in our faces every second. We get it. It’s a big deal. I just want my Canes to play.

Simple response from anybody actually watching - yes.

I have zero reason to believe we see a season as originally scheduled and not much reason to believe any re-structured season, that involves Fall, is successfully completed. Whatever your feelings on COVID the issue has only been around for about 4 months and look at the impact on society. Now hundreds of institutions, and tens of thousands of moving parts, are supposed to set and execute a single 7 month plan? With conditions changing daily? Really? Is that possible or probable?

And, not to highjack this thread, but that is one of the primary reasons I think the portal explodes next year. Prospects will commit this year, it will be a bizarre year, they will start to wonder (IMO particularly those who didn't take visits), and then the portal.

Last edited:
Simple response from anybody actually watching - yes.

I have zero reason to believe we see a season as originally scheduled and not much reason to believe any re-structured season, that involves Fall, is successfully completed.

And, not to highjack this thread, but that is one of the primary reasons I think the portal explodes next year. Prospects will commit this year, it will be a bizarre year, they will start to wonder and wander, and then the portal.
I think the smart money is on a 30-60 Day delay and possibly only conference games. I really don't think the season will happen in the Spring unless they are able to finish it before the NFL combine.

Thanks for posting that. Interesting read. This is the gold nugget, IMO...

"A hope among one administrator: The climate on how the public views the virus changes from one of hopelessness to acceptance that the virus is here for the foreseeable future and a return to normalcy is needed on college campuses."

I believe that will happen. It sums up my personal feelings on covid now for a long long time. In fact, I believe that quote above is inevitable. But will it happen soon enough to save a CFB season? That I'm not as optimistic about.

Advertisement
I think the smart money is on a 30-60 Day delay and possibly only conference games. I really don't think the season will happen in the Spring unless they are able to finish it before the NFL combine.

I am really curious. I understand you said 30- 60 days, but I don't see any reason 30 days would make a difference. So, if it is a 60 delay, even to the start of the season, then CFB kicks off in December, right? How does that then work? If CFB was alone the season would likely go through late February at least, maybe into March depending on length of season and post season. If the NFL functions in Fall, even delayed, we have direct competition, including versus the playoffs. And, depending on mens CBB, we have that as well, maybe even versus March Madness.

How do you see the season actually working with a Fall delay?

It would be just our luck that a once in a lifetime pandemic shuts down our chances of being relevant in college football again.

- Recruiting momentum.

This is why I get so triggered by people on this board shoving COVID-19 in our faces every second. We get it. It’s a big deal. I just want my Canes to play.
Dude you need to chill the **** out with this 'whoa is me' crap. There is little chance the season gets cancelled. More than likely pushed back or condensed, yes, but cancelled completely, very low chance.

I am really curious. I understand you said 30- 60 days, but I don't see any reason 30 days would make a difference. So, if it is a 60 delay, even to the start of the season, then CFB kicks off in December, right? How does that then work? If CFB was alone the season would likely go through late February at least, maybe into March depending on length of season and post season. If the NFL functions in Fall, even delayed, we have direct competition, including versus the playoffs. And, depending on mens CBB, we have that as well, maybe even versus March Madness.

How do you see the season actually working with a Fall delay?
60 days would put the season starting in November and going through February. I would imagine they would only have conference games and I'm not sure about bowl games either. The direct competition doesn't matter at all honesty. It's about finding a time period where they feel it's safe to play football. A 30-60 Day delay gives the NCAA more time to put together a plan and it would put the start of the season 3-4 Months from now which we will likely see a huge decline in Covid by then.

Advertisement

"A hope among one administrator: The climate on how the public views the virus changes from one of hopelessness to acceptance that the virus is here for the foreseeable future and a return to normalcy is needed on college campuses."

I believe that will happen. It sums up my personal feelings on covid now for a long long time. In fact, I believe that quote above is inevitable. But will it happen soon enough to save a CFB season? That I'm not as optimistic about.

September is a long way away man. I definitely think this trend is already beginning.

That's The Legend Model. College kids are going to catch this VID whether there's football or not. Might as well have football.

60 days would put the season starting in November and going through February. I would imagine they would only have conference games and I'm not sure about bowl games either. The direct competition doesn't matter at all honesty. It's about finding a time period where they feel it's safe to play football. A 30-60 Day delay gives the NCAA more time to put together a plan and it would put the start of the season 3-4 Months from now which we will likely see a huge decline in Covid by then.

Not arguing, just working through this. You are right, 60 days is November. I was off. But competition does matter, at least in terms of TV, as that would likely put CFB and NFL on the same days ranging from weeknights to Saturdays. We do a bit of that now, but wouldn't we be looking at a lot of those dates? Also, what indicates a COVID decrease in 3-4 months?

Last edited:
Not disagreeing with you. Some have suggested a post election start anyway. Lol. Also, for those that really don't want football, I hope to God the usual winter Influenza A and B that usually begins in November (or even typical Fall Rhino viruses) does NOT get mixed in with Covid-19 protocol. Imagine one of your players has a short little virus. Shows up at the facility with a 101 temperature that goes away after one day. He's fine the second day. But now he's documented to quarantine for 14 days. Tell me that wouldn't suck.
All things considered, let's just hope we have a fall football season! Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
Thanks for the post OP.

Until we make the necessary changes to drive down Covid-19, the cases will continue to grow. Doing nothing and just "getting use to it", is not acceptable because the virus will spread exponentially when nothing is done. We can do this. For right now, the mask is our vaccine. So, please use them.

I agree with this but unfortunately the "climate" is being manipulated by the media. I was at the gym this morning on the cycle and was able to watch two tvs side by side with opposing news channels covering the same news conference.. One channel captioning that schools are being mandated to open in the fall despite increases in cases, the other about the importance of reopening schools for socialization, nutritional, and educational concerns for students.

I do think if not in Fall, a Spring scenario will emerge simply because the election will be over with by then. Too much politicization of the issues mucking things up and increasing mistrust of officials and medical professionals confusing the **** out of people.

Advertisement
Thanks for the post OP.

Until we make the necessary changes to drive down Covid-19, the cases will continue to grow. Doing nothing and just "getting use to it", is not acceptable because the virus will spread exponentially when nothing is done. We can do this. For right now, the mask is our vaccine. So, please use them.
Get A Clue

I feel

- Recruiting momentum.

I feel you man.. I wonder though if this will actually help us in recruiting with kids like, Leonard Taylor and James Williams. Will they be able to take official visits to other schools? I’m trying to see the positives here.

Advertisement
Back