Power 5 optimism dwindling for on-time start to season

Other countries are opening up schools. Some Scandinavian countries never even shut down. They chose to focus on protecting the most vulnerable and let herd immunity proceed naturally for the rest of their population. It's what we should have done from the beginning but unfortunately politicization and not science was the main driver for our reactions which tended to be over-reactions.
That's already been proven not to work, but based on our response after 3 months into it we're moving in that direction.

So, 4 to 5 percent of tested infected people die. That would mean ruffly 5% of the 330 million people would die. That's means 16.5 million people die. You can argue that there's a lot of people asymptomatic or didn't get sick enough to be tested. OK, so maybe 8 million or 4 million die. What number of deaths is acceptable applying heard infection?

Advertisement
This is a shoddy study and it was even admitted as such by researchers. Unless you have randomized and controlled conditions at best this is just based on common sense assumptions and not scientifically verifiable conclusions.
The point is if everyone wears a mask Covid-19 will be greatly reduced. Just look at other countries who have been successful.

Two people wearing a mask are very unlikely to infect the other if one person has the virus.

This is just the basics of what should be common sense. You can improve more by having a better mask. I have a P100 respirator that I used when working with industrial paints. I also bought a roll of n95 rated material that I put under pollution masks purchased on Ebay.

The virus has a 2 week life span (basically). Imagine if our country had its act together and everyone was distributed N95 masks and mandated wearing them. This thing would have been over or greatly reduced in a month. Esecially iif it were done when we first knew about the virus.

Nurses and doctors working in the infected hospital wards keep themselves safe with N95 masks and P100 respirators. Not those surgical masks they're forced to use because of the lack of PPE. That's how they're getting sick which is a **** shame.

Last edited:
Nurses and doctors working in the infected hospital wards keep themselves safe with N95 masks and P100 respirators. Not those surgical masks they're forced to use because of the lack of PPE. That's how they're getting sick which is a **** shame.

That's already been proven not to work, but based on our response after 3 months into it we're moving in that direction.

So, 4 to 5 percent of tested infected people die. That would mean ruffly 5% of the 330 million people would die. That's means 16.5 million people die. You can argue that there's a lot of people asymptomatic or didn't get sick enough to be tested. OK, so maybe 8 million or 4 million die. What number of deaths is acceptable applying heard infection?

Respectfully, you need to stop posting. This nonsense isn't worthy of response. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and worse you're spreading fear to people reading this forum that may not follow the data.

Respectfully, you need to stop posting. This nonsense isn't worthy of response. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and worse you're spreading fear to people reading this forum that may not follow the data.
Then don't read or respond. I'm a realist. I speak to truth not the happy talk BS to make you feel good. I have a child and so I'm a parent just like other poeple.

WTF, you think we can just do nothing and pretend things will be just fine. How's that working out after 6 months?

Advertisement
Then don't read or respond. I'm a realist. I speak to truth not the happy talk BS to make you feel good. I have a child and so I a parent just like other poeple.

WTF, you think we can just do nothing and pretend things will be just fine. How's that working out after 6 months?

You are most definitely not a realist. You are an alarmist. You are ignoring the data and the science and metaphorically running around with your hair on fire.

For the idiots that think they should put kids out there who are unpaid amateurs in less than 2 mos. best case scenario have a camp similar to spring football in the fall and play in the spring if possible. UCF AD said games without fans would be crushing and if some fans could go in spring it would be better financially.

it’s mostly about the optics of it, but football In the fall and football in the spring aren’t the only optionS. Not playing at all until 2021 is still an option, even though I’m sure no one will admit It. Like I said, when you have pros Not playing when they get Paid millions to do it, basically forcing or pressuring amateurs to play seems especially negligent. it probably won’t be portrayed on ESPN like that though, since they have money in the game.
I agree with you that the real options should be playing v not playing, as opposed to fall v spring. Fall v spring is optics. Playing v not playing is the sincere debate. For reasons already stated (and my selfish desire to watch King and the Canes) I hope they play and play in the fall.

This is such bull****. This is a Qanon talking point running around social media. It has been debunked ad nauseum.

This is the reason we are so fooked as a country. These MAGAhats keep peddling this crazy ****.
Gtfoh. I know people personally who experienced false positives and I work in a healthcare setting seeing this firsthand, but keep believing your bs national news narrative all you want.

Advertisement
I live in Virginia and it is one of the stricter states for guidelines. Most people here hate the governor for the tighter guidelines like masks.
VISAA released their guidelines for fall sports and for football, people should wear masks. There will be no locker rooms as players should come dressed in proper gear and there should be limits on any tackling and passing of the ball(their words).
People are worried about whether the draft gets pushed back affecting College Football players. What if there is no HS football? How will that affect player development? Basically, scouting will be based souly on JR highlights. Do you think it will hurt Colleges accurately projecting players at the next level?

I have a bad feeling on this one. You know what I mean Chief. A real bad feeling. I don't think there's going to be a major CFB season! Ouch. LMFAO

Oh. And one more notion. Bloody KNOWING the VAST MAJORITY of y'all SUPPORT the POTUS and what not. So much for the disease MAGICALLY disappearing once summer rolls around, again!!! Literally LMFAO And so much for the disease being a universal grand HOAX. LOL

By the way, for the one's with their LARGE craniums stuck in the Sunshine state beaches. The disease is a BIOLOGICAL WEAPON. huh! Why do y'all think it's still hanging around.

Nevertheless, maybe the season will be a shorten season with only conference games on the slate, and games played in EMPTY stadiums. Or perhaps only TWENTY-FIVE percent capacity per stadium. LOL Because it's not like MY Canes sell-out every home game. LMFAO

The point is if everyone wears a mask Covid-19 will be greatly reduced. Just look at other countries who have been successful.

Two people wearing a mask are very unlikely to infect the other if one person has the virus.

This is just the basics of what should be common sense. You can improve more by having a better mask. I have a P100 respirator that I used when working with industrial paints. I also bought a roll of n95 rated material that I put under pollution masks purchased on Ebay.

The virus has a 2 week life span (basically). Imagine if our country had its act together and everyone was distributed N95 masks and mandated wearing them. This thing would have been over or greatly reduced in a month. Esecially iif it were done when we first knew about the virus.

Distance and disinfection are orders of magnitude more effective than masks. People keep hearing the "wear a mask" drum being beaten and then have no problem hanging out together for hours wearing a mask, pulling it down by the front to take a sip of their drink. Of course, they've now been infected and some dip**** will point out how masks are ineffective because his buddy wore one all the time and still got Covid.

It's not a panacea, but common sense is.

Advertisement

That's the assumption. That hasn't been tested. What is probably true is that social distancing is most effective with or without masking. Even with masking there are degrees of effectiveness. Not all masks offer equal effectiveness. To say if two people wear a mask one is protected from the other if one has COVID is not accurate without then getting into what kind of mask is in play and how close of proximity to each other they are. The study admits it doesn't get into it that intensely. So to make such blanket statements based on this study goes beyond what the study says. You are basically making certain assumptions which may be true but have not been scientifically established. Those countries you cite have been most successful could have been just as successful implementing social distancing guidelines with no masks. We really don't know and can't say for sure.

You can't rely on these mortality numbers as if they are accurate. And to project from these numbers just increases the error. I would have thought that people would have figured out that these projection models are meaningless by now because the assumptions have been so far off. First we don't know how many are actually infected or were infected unless we test everyone. People who are asymptomatic probably don't get tested unless they are curious and very few are going to wait a few hours in line to get tested if they don't need to. Safe to say more people have it than have been tested.

The accuracy of fatality accounts is also compromised because of the very generous way they are counting COVID deaths. People in hospices dying of cancer with COVID were counted as a COVID fatality when they died without determining the actual cause of death.

Also, we know a large majority of folks that get it and die are the elderly and/or those with co-morbidity (which ties into the accuracy of what caused their death as I stated above).

Protecting the most vulnerable and herd immunity would be the most sensible way around this without also introducing all these other unintended negative effects of shutting down. We panicked and threw everything including the kitchen sink at it. Not the best way to deal with this kind of thing without making the cure worse than the problem.

This is such bull****. This is a Qanon talking point running around social media. It has been debunked ad nauseum.

This is the reason we are so fooked as a country. These MAGAhats keep peddling this crazy ****.

I don’t know about his last sentence. But the part about false positives is correct. Also false negatives. Take it from somebody that actually knows what’s going on with testing.

Learn a little something about testing before you make broad generalizations. For the antibody test, they tell you in the small print, that if you’ve had any kind of a corona virus exposure before, that is non-COVID-19 “common cold” coronaviruses, that you could test positive.

If you need any more information about testing, or significance just let me know

Advertisement
I know plenty of doctors and nurses who see Covid patients being in healthcare myself, and I can tell you these tests produce a lot of false positives considering CV comes from a similar epidemiological family as the common cold. Also, I know several people who have been to the larger public testing sites throughout Dade & Broward and after signing in via mobile triage to confirm their test, and waiting to be seen for hours they would leave the site without telling anyone only to receive phone calls later from the testing site to confirm they tested positive for CV19.

not talking about test sites and testing At all, I’m talking about doctors who are actually treating COVID patients in the hospital and icu. There has NOt been a disease in memory that has overwhelmed icu’s and hospitals and idiots in here act like it’s the flu and a hoax

You are most definitely not a realist. You are an alarmist. You are ignoring the data and the science and metaphorically running around with your hair on fire.

For someone who touts data and science, you havent presented a single scientific fact or data point in this entire thread

Other countries are opening up schools. Some Scandinavian countries never even shut down. They chose to focus on protecting the most vulnerable and let herd immunity proceed naturally for the rest of their population. It's what we should have done from the beginning but unfortunately politicization and not science was the main driver for our reactions which tended to be over-reactions.

You're talking about Sweden. The problem with Sweden is that they were never close to herd immunity (they were predicting 40-60% but instead are <10%). Further, loads of articles the past couple days about Sweden's covid approach and the resulting impact on the economy. The result? No economic gain from keeping their society open. Herd immunity, in general, has been a myth - we are nowhere close to it.

I do agree that our reactions to this would have been different had PA and NY not stuffed their nursing homes with covid positive patients. That was disastrous.

You're talking about Sweden. The problem with Sweden is that they were never close to herd immunity (they were predicting 40-60% but instead are <10%). Further, loads of articles the past couple days about Sweden's covid approach and the resulting impact on the economy. The result? No economic gain from keeping their society open. Herd immunity, in general, has been a myth - we are nowhere close to it.

I do agree that our reactions to this would have been different had PA and NY not stuffed their nursing homes with covid positive patients. That was disastrous.

The main problem I read about Sweden's approach was that, like us, it devastated their nursing home population. They apparently did not do enough about protecting the elderly.

Not sure I get your point about lack of economic gain though. The goal would not be gain, but mitigating loss. If their economy maintained their level of productivity that would be a success in my view.

The percentage of herd immunity you read might also be a lagging indicator, meaning the percent might actually increase over time closer to what they would have predicted if measured again in the future. Some studies suggest approaching around 40% would be enough to achieve herd immunity in a given population.

Point being, however, we did not need the massive lock downs and a more targeted approach may have cut the death rate by nearly 1/2 by just protecting nursing home and assisted living facilities.

Advertisement
Back