Potentially toughest 2020 games

Go Canes!!

Leading the charge
Premium
Posted this on another thread but thought the topic had potential for interesting conversation.

I've seen a lot of posters predicting our 2020 record which left me wondering who were the possible losses within the 11-1 to 7-6 numbers being tossed around.

In my opinion, the following games are where the pitfalls exist:

UNC-A potential 10 win team. Finished pretty strong last year, had 7 wins overall. They bring back a Top 5, Heisman caliber QB in Sam Howell who put up 3700 yards, 38 TDs and 7 INTs last season. Imo this is going to be our toughest game of the season.

FSU-Should be four straight for us but the Noles are our biggest rival and it's historically been a tight game decided in the fourth quarter, regardless of record or ranking of either team. We'll see what Norvell does with the disaster Taggart left behind.

At UVA-Bronco is in year five there. Win totals under him are 2, 6, 8 then 9 last year. Their defense will be solid based on his coaching style and the fact they return 8 upperclassmen on that side of the ball. Offensively Bryce Perkins is a **** fine player who can neutralize a good pass rush with his legs and can make throws on the run. This one won't be easy.

At VT-We will be the better team but this will be our fourth straight conference game without a bye week at a place they've always played us tough. Job gets even tougher if it ends up being a night game. It's also at a time in the season where injuries incurred as the season progresses seem to be magnified. No idea what to expect from that team going into next season. They finished with 8 wins last year but they've had major transfer issues and I question how much of that team likes playing for Fuentes overall. Imo this is a tricky game based on location and when it's scheduled. If Fuentes has them playing well this game has potential upset written all over it. If they tank we should take care of business regardless of all the other factors.

MSU-Throwing them in there because it's on the road against a team we have no history with. They've been a good to very good defensive team but they have a totally new coaching staff and have been inept offensively over the last several years. They will also be breaking in a new QB. Our defense should eat against a team undergoing a major transition overall.

Advertisement
Posted this on another thread but thought the topic had potential for interesting conversation.

I've seen a lot of posters predicting our 2020 record which left me wondering who were the possible losses within the 11-1 to 7-6 numbers being tossed around.

UNC-A potential 10 win team. Finished pretty strong last year, had 7 wins overall. They bring back a Top 5, Heisman caliber QB in Sam Howell who put up 3700 yards, 38 TDs and 7 INTs last season. Imo this is going to be our toughest game of the season.

FSU-Should be four straight for us but the Noles are our biggest rival and it's historically been a tight game decided in the fourth quarter, regardless of record or ranking of either team. We'll see what Norvell does with the disaster Taggart left behind.

At UVA-Bronco is in year five there. Win totals under him are 2, 6, 8 then 9 last year. Their defense will be solid based on his coaching style and the fact they return 8 upperclassmen on that side of the ball. Offensively Bryce Perkins is a **** fine player who can neutralize a good pass rush with his legs and can make throws on the run. This one won't be easy.

At VT-We will be the better team but this will be our fourth straight conference game without a bye week at a place they've always played us tough. Job gets even tougher if it ends up being a night game. It's also at a time in the season where injuries incurred as the season progresses seem to be magnified. No idea what to expect from that team going into next season. They finished with 8 wins last year but they've had major transfer issues and I question how much of that team likes playing for Fuentes overall. Imo this is a tricky game based on location and when it's scheduled. If Fuentes has them playing well this game has potential upset written all over it. If they tank we should take care of business regardless of all the other factors.

MSU-Throwing them in there because it's on the road against a team we have no history with. They've been a good to very good defensive team but they have a totally new coaching staff and have been inept offensively over the last several years. They will also be breaking in a new QB. Our defense should eat against a team undergoing a major transition overall.
P

With a oline that played like *** last year,unproven linebackers,dbs that are a work in progress and uncertainty at wr all games could be tough.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Looking forward to seeing our first few possessions under Lash. Will tell us a lot.
I think every game will be tough. Even though we haven't been relevant for what, 18 years or so, it seems like we are still The U to opposing coaches. Sorry *** teams treat us like a Natty championship game.
I'm really hoping this is our turnaround year as a program, but I hope for the same thing every year and . . . .
Let's go!

Advertisement
C'mon Sin. Are you saying an easier schedule, replacing Garvin with Roche, Enos with Lashlee, Barry with Judge and Kosi/Jarren with King equals the same record as 2019?

Go

last season was just as pussified as this year, I have less than Zero faith in the **** sucker formerly known as the HC

and by the way Happy Sunday

Advertisement
Bryce Perkins was a Redshirt Senior in 2019 and was 78% of their offense is gone. They also lost Bryce Hall and Jordan Mack to graduation. Virginia will be starting a lot of freshmen.

I was thinking the same thing but I saw this and figured I was wrong. That makes a huge difference in that game.

This!!! Did the OP forget we went 6-7 vs an easy schedule including the worst loss in our history?!!

No. But I also haven't forgotten we've made massive, across the board upgrades, from coaching to QB on the side of the ball most responsible for that record.

It would be foolish not to look back, but equally short sighted not to acknowledge and account for the positive changes as well.

Advertisement
Back