Potentially toughest 2020 games

Advertisement
I haven’t seen any of our current starters at any position group (except DE) come out and live up to their billing. Have seen them all make great plays, but not come out and physically beat their opponents all across the board all game long. No game is a given, and I’m most worried about Temple at the moment.

Unc and vt will be toughest followed by uva. Fsu will be a mystery.

Wake forest lost their good qb to georgia.

Schedule is easy again. Expecting 10-2 or better with king, new exciting offense etc.

Anything less hit the road ( post fiu should have hit the road).

Advertisement
If we come out and dominate Temple that will be a telling sign of what potentially the season has in store for us. If we struggle moving the ball, give up big plays on defense? That foretells another 6-7 type season. I don’t believe struggling in the first game is tied to just working out the kinks on offense. I think it will show we don’t have the play makers to work his offense out. Personally I do believe we have said players, that the offense will do well this season, and that King will break Rosier’s record of 31TD’s. I also think the waves of DL players we can throw out there each game is going to have positive results for our defense. That, and having much more athleticism and speed in the back 7 is going to pay dividends turnover wise. Color me drinking the koolaid; I think we have a season along the lines of 2017. Will it include game breakers like what we did vs. VT and ND that season? I don’t think we will play teams as highly ranked as those 2 were back in 2017, but I think we play some teams that will be ranked, such as UNC and possibly VT or UVA. I’m not sure of the record because every time I think we’ll be 10-2 or better, we falter. So this year I’m thinking as such that we handle our business well enough to make it to Charlotte. If that’s 11-1 to 8-4 so be it.

There is a lot to be optimistic about with the new offensive staff, King as the QB, returning QB's learning / adjusting to a new up tempo offense, a lot of potentially impactful positive changes / upgrades. We need to see it actually happen on the field .. consistently. Fingers crossed for at least 10 wins regular season .. and I will really be disappointed at those 2 losses.

Advertisement
If Manny loses to Temple after we bought him back from them, with better players than they have, then he’s cooked. I think the pressure on him personally in that game has to be high.
RVA, probably right. Hopefully he doesn’t parlay that on to the players Game #1 out of the gates. Here’s hoping he feels the pressure but allows Lashlee and Co. to come out guns a blazing and put it on Temple early as such that backups get to see a good amount of playing time in preparation for UAB the following week.

RVA, probably right. Hopefully he doesn’t parlay that on to the players Game #1 out of the gates. Here’s hoping he feels the pressure but allows Lashlee and Co. to come out guns a blazing and put it on Temple early as such that backups get to see a good amount of playing time in preparation for UAB the following week.
At least we got Roche from them.

No. But I also haven't forgotten we've made massive, across the board upgrades, from coaching to QB on the side of the ball most responsible for that record.

It would be foolish not to look back, but equally short sighted not to acknowledge and account for the positive changes as well.

positve changes after 1 week of spring? How about wait until after we actually play a team with a pulse. That would be Michi st.

Advertisement
positve changes after 1 week of spring? How about wait until after we actually play a team with a pulse. That would be Michi st.

Why would I need to do that? Because that's what you choose to do?

I prefer to see what Lashlee and King have done successfully in the past, see the tools they have to work with here and formulate my own opinions. Isn't that what this place is all about?

Either way, whatever progress we make or don't make doesn't stop these opponents from being our toughest games. That is what this thread is about.

OP We lost to Duke, LaTech and FIU :oops: ....yes F I ***** U!! last year........and you're really asking this?

All our games will be tough...... Let's just hope we're a LOT better than last year

Last edited:
Here are my totally made up win probability percentages for 2020:

Temple 100%
Wagner 100%
UAB 100%
@ MSU 55%
Pitt 75%
@ WF 70%
UNC 55%
@ UVA 65%
FSU 55%
@ VT 60%
@ GT 60%
Duke 75%

I've said it before. My benchmarks for the 2020 season are as follows:

1. Start 4-0.
2. Undefeated at home.
3. Win a bowl game.

If we do those three things we'll have won 9 games at minimum. Also, it means we will have beaten UNC, who looks to be our toughest opponent in the regular season...and we will have won our fourth in a row against the noles. If we just split our remaining road games after MSU, then we're looking at 11-3 and a top 15 finish at worst. That would be a successful season in my book.

Advertisement
To everyone pointing out who we lost to, I'm just curious. Does any of that change who our potentially toughest opponents will be NEXT year?

No one is taking any team for granted based on last year.

I think Temple will play us really tough, they will have something to prove, we lose that game the season will be a disaster. We should win that game 41-17 btw

Looking forward to seeing our first few possessions under Lash. Will tell us a lot.
I think every game will be tough. Even though we haven't been relevant for what, 18 years or so, it seems like we are still The U to opposing coaches. Sorry *** teams treat us like a Natty championship game.
I'm really hoping this is our turnaround year as a program, but I hope for the same thing every year and . . . .
Let's go!
First FEW is key. Our first posession under Enos was **** near The Sistine Chapel. And then, well, Enos became Penos from that moment on.

Advertisement
Back