Potential depth chart changes moving forward

Advertisement
The problem is - why does it take an ***-stomping from Clemson for our coaches to stop being so **** stubborn?

We have seen poor LB and WR play all year. What did they expect to be different against Clemson? Why not get the young guys more reps BEFORE Clemson to determine who you want in crunch time?

I keyed in a little on Flagg - he had some pros and cons.
- Pros....he sees things quick and moves. He's not a statue like some of the other LBs.
- Cons.....he looks tiny out there in formation, like a high schooler. It's sad that he isn't just a depth player at this point because he needs a lot of time to build strength. He's quick with his reads but he's not strong enough to take on blockers.
Honestly feel like they’d hoped the older guys could keep the game close because of their maturity. If problem is, our older players have played like **** in big games. We open with Bama next year, time to give the young guys more reps so they’re ready next season. And in all honesty they are probably the better options moving forward.

Well, for me it begins with the OL. Jakai Clark had a dreadful game. Pass and run blocking were bad. He's physically limited and he got worked by Clemson. On the fourth and one play, he got beat by the LB. I swear, Clark just belly-flopped. To make it even worse, I commented on SOTU twitter page about Clark's poor play. After the game, he liked my comments. That struck me as weird.

Campbell struggled also but he kept competing. Scaife struggled. I thought Williams, Gaynor, and Nelson played well.

McCloud and Jennings are constantly out of position. Clemson's gameplan attacked our LBs with misdirection and eye candy and it worked every time. It was hard to watch. Brooks and Flagg played much better.

It's time to give the young WRs some run because Wiggins, Pope and Harley can't separate. Time to give the young WRs an opportunity.

Scaife has struggled all year. Many expected he would excel at guard but we haven't seen that yet.

The Clark thing baffles me because Traore was benched for supposedly poor play (poor run block grade, he had a high pass blocking grade). Clark comes in and looked really bad against Clemson, but coaches stuck with him. So which is it?

The one thing we have seen in recent years, especially with this current staff is mixed messages with playing time and benchings. I struggle to see how accountability is build with expectations varying week to week.

I saw people complaining about first punt return, but if you watch replay after clemson touches it, Restrepo points it out to the ref first like you saw that right then went and got ball.. It was a smart play and he was fully aware of what he was doing.. The 2nd one just nullify the smartness of first because it was just overly dumb, no upside, disaster situation.. Going out of bounds actually saved him and showed how fast that wet ball was coming in..
The ball took a weird baseball hop. I thought he was about to make a big time play.

Advertisement
Put Zion at G. Get your best 5 out there, and he's one of our best 5.
Or put Campbell back at guard (Played there last year) and Zion as the full time LT. We cannot keep trotting Clarke out there. He is a liability. Nice depth player but not a starting guard at this level.

I'm even willing to give Rivers a shot there. I hate true freshmen on the OL, but I have to believe he is more physically talented than Clarke/Traeore.

Glad to hear there may be changes at LB. I truly believe we have more talent on the sideline than we've seen on the field. Even if it means growing pains, we should take that step. Maybe this is true at WR too, I just don't knw yet as no one has really shined.

Hope the coaches ALSO re-examine their teaching, their schematics and even their philosophy too. We need to add something to the O to deal with what Clemson brought. Maybe it means putting a WR in the RB slot,flip flopping TE and WR to get mismatches. Something. If I'm Manny I want from Lashlee at least 10 plays to add to deal with what Clemson brought. I also want them to reconsider these soft zones we play that allow other teams to play sideline pitch and catch. I want Likens and our 1823 DB/CB coaches to better coach up ball skills, looking back for the ball, fighting for position, timing, etc.

I was not aware the stat Roman brought up that is that we are last in CFB in 10 yard plus plays allowed. This has been a problem with Manny's defenses and I would have hoped he would have addressed this before this week but we need to rethink our philosophy on defense.
Jaquan and red wine used to clean up a lot of messes

without safeties to clean up this defense will get gashed

as good as bolden is
U need good play from both
When the defense is at its best is when the safety duo is clicking like jaquan and red wine

That may be true, but Amari Carter can't stay on the field, he gets thrown out of every game he plays lol and Gurvan has just been a let down thus far, Idk what his issue is but he just seems to not be dialed in & bringing it on every down.

This has become Groundhog's day where we're forced to play Upperclassmen despite them making countless mistakes but can't put none of the Frosh in because they're not ready yet.

This coaching staff does a very poor job in developing these players. We get a bunch of 4-star players & they're never ready to go until they're Redshirt Juniors, it's ****** ridiculous.
Honesty hall has been one of the biggest let downs of the storm 18 class

from the nick Saban helicopter
To the video of him killing that kid on the field and taking his ball
He was one of the most hyped up guys here in a while

I hope he kills it going forward but yea He doesn’t seem to be getting better

Advertisement
Honesty hall has been one of the biggest let downs of the storm 18 class

from the nick Saban helicopter
To the video of him killing that kid on the field and taking his ball
He was one of the most hyped up guys here in a while

I hope he kills it going forward but yea He doesn’t seem to be getting better
He's just not an impact player at this point, and time is quickly running out for him to become one.

Gurvan is another in our long line of players who looks more and more disinterested the longer he's here. His body language is awful. I expected him to grow into an intimidator, but he looks like he'd rather be doing something else.
In fairness he came into a game during the second half ... he's had a rough few games ... i actually believe he'll get better over the rest of the season

After doing some digging, below are some potential personnel changes to keep an eye on:

WR- This one has been covered well by @CanesAreAble and others, so I'll just say this: Miami cannot be Miami without impact players at WR. Fortunately, this is an easy problem to fix. Easily attainable recruits like TuTu Atwell and Elijah Moore would have changed the face of this offense. We can get those type of kids without bags. Relevant to this year's team, expect a youth movement. The immediate beneficiary will be Keyshawn Smith.

LB- We will be seeing more of Sam Brooks and Corey Flagg. Both played well in their opportunities on Saturday.

QB2- This is more opinion than info, but I want to see TVD assume the backup role. Kosi is Kosi. We saw that on Saturday. I don't believe his experience makes us any more likely to win in King's absence. Develop your future.

PR- I was calling for Restrepo since camp, which made me feel a little dumb when he fumbled the punt into the endzone. Personally, I'd give him another chance. The dog mentality that carried him to Miami made him too eager to make a play in the rain. Hopefully, he's learned from his mistake. The first PR was actually a smart play-- Clemson had already touched the ball, so Restrepo can pick it up and try to make a play without fear of fumbling. If he did fumble, the team has the option of choosing possession at the spot of the first touch. The other names to watch here are Pope, Hall and Keyshawn Smith.
I didn’t realize the Restrepo situation, thanks for the clarification.

I really thought that Payton and Redding would have had more of an impact by now.
Payton I agree. Redding didn't get a single snap. Our coaches are dumb so I'm assuming it's not because he's played poorly.

Advertisement
Except the ball would have been spotted where the Clemson player touched it instead of where Restrepo got tackled. If there's nobody around you, go for it but he ended up losing yardage.

The ball was spotted where the clemson player touched it, the 15 yard line. The only chance of something bad happening would be a penalty on his return.

Gurvan is another in our long line of players who looks more and more disinterested the longer he's here. His body language is awful. I expected him to grow into an intimidator, but he looks like he'd rather be doing something else.
Personally I did not see that from him, a few times on the sidelines I saw him barking out orders to Carter and later Balom when he was out the first half, seemed engaged with the team but I agree on the field while he is not the one getting torched, he just has not made plays that a playmaker should. Last year he had 66 tackles (good for a safety) but no FF 2 sacks 3 PD and 1 pic. He does have lofty expectations with his billing but...

This year through 4 games, 6 tackles, no PD, no sacks, no pics. Someone needs to light a fire under his ***. It may very well go back to a culture issue which is on the coaches. Our best players have no desire to stick around the program and we rarely have seen them making a jump with in-game production.

Advertisement
Huff and TAC are raw athletes but have a chance to be impact guys if they do the right things and develop. Flagg was much more advanced out of school.

As for Flagg’s speed issues, he plays faster than that one camp time as a HS junior. I think he makes faster just based on IQ and change-of-direction ability.
If I gotta watch McCloud make mistakes in year 41, I'll manage watching Huff make mistakes in year 1.

The ball was spotted where the clemson player touched it, the 15 yard line. The only chance of something bad happening would be a penalty on his return.
You are right. The return team does have the choice of having the ball placed at the spot of kicking team touching first as long as there’s no penalty on the play. Still doesn’t excuse fielding a rolling punt inside your own 5 yard line though.

Ag
Those guys, Keyshawn Washington and C should all be getting more snaps at WR before this game.
Agreed, it's incredibly frustrating. The most frustrating part is it's literally common sense. My mom doesn't know anything about football and she could watch for 5 minutes and tell you Keyshawn is better than any of the older receivers. Why wait until you get curb stomped to make a change?

Also, if the coaches say they don't know the playbook, just fire them. We ran about 4 different plays against Clemson AND it's their job to get these guys ready.

Redding is progressing well. I'd expect him to be playing a big role by year's end.

Payton is the more frustrating case. Starts and stops. He has the talent.
Payton has some maturity issues, nothing serious but he needs to get his head out of his ***. They want him to play.

Every time he gets a target he breaks route off or just runs wrong route. His talent is absurd though, he’s frustrating.

Advertisement
Back