Potential depth chart changes moving forward

Advertisement
balom blew the coverage on the frank ladson drop of a would be 60 yard touchdown, i'm good on that one. bolden and hall should be the primary safeties, they're clearly our only players at that position who are not hugely flawed right now.

a huge problem at miami in general is that we have long been playing young guys before they should be on the field. it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle. it all comes back to recruiting and depth across the roster. the defensive line rotation is great right now, guys like harvey and JHH are getting meaningful reps but the DL is not dependent on them in the least, bcuz we have two NFL players at DE and prob another one at DT in nesta. this is how bama level programs operate across the entire roster.

LB i'm still willing to give them a bit of a pass because jennings, steed, joyner (what's the deal w/ him?) all suffered pretty bad injuries that screwed up their development as much as anything else. they're trying to thread the needle but there's no good answers -- a true freshman 3 star LB like flagg shouldn't be playing against clemson, brooks is getting the right amount of snaps for a player of his age and talent level but at a better program there would be several better, older players ahead of him keeping him off the field.

safety is still a problem because bolden is gone after this year so we're looking at hall + a bunch of question marks and/or talented young guys (avantae, james williams) who shouldn't be having huge roles bcuz they'll never have played college football. i wonder w/ frierson blossoming this season if they think about moving keontra back to safety for next season bcuz balom and harrell aren't going to be ready to play mistake free football next year either. this is the trap we keep getting caught in.

thankfully we've been able to stay pretty healthy at CB so far and next year we should go into the year w/ two good upperclassmen + couch w/ guys like dunson and clarke behind them who haven't been asked to do anything before they're ready. that's building it the right way, now the talent needs to catch up

Last edited:
Advertisement
I saw people complaining about first punt return, but if you watch replay after clemson touches it, Restrepo points it out to the ref first like you saw that right then went and got ball.. It was a smart play and he was fully aware of what he was doing.. The 2nd one just nullify the smartness of first because it was just overly dumb, no upside, disaster situation.. Going out of bounds actually saved him and showed how fast that wet ball was coming in..
Yah. He was trying to field the ball at the 2-3 yard line. It was a bad move even on a perfect day. Whatever happened to planting your heels at the 10 and never moving backwards. That no longer exists in college football.

Advertisement
I know it sounds crazy but my thinking is that if you can't stretch the defense vertically, then stretch them horizontally. With the full house and King, you have 4 runners/receivers out of the backfield so Pitt will sell out completely to stop the run and cheat everyone to the line. It should be absolute child's play for Mallory or Jordan to get wide open looks down field.
That's one thing I disagreed with Lashlee's press conference. Clemson was playing press man with no safety help. You don't have to just run verticals. You can run sticks, back shoulder fades, and out routes all day then bust that *** deep on a double move. Just can't understand why that's not in the play calling repertoire.

Last edited:
At WR, gotta go with Smith & Redding.

At LB, the 4 man rotation should be Brooks, Flagg, Steed & Huff. Jennings can still get reps on short yardage situations, McCloud needs to hit the pine for good, he just doesn't have the football IQ or the lateral movement needed.

At LG, gotta sit Jakai Clark down for Pitt, too many undisciplined penalties, put Traore in there.

At Safety, time to play Balom & Harrell with Bolden, AC5 just can't keep himself in a game & Gurvan is just unfocused.

Overall, Manny & Baker place too high a premium on Seniority & it's going to continue to bite them in the ***, it will be Manny's downfall if he doesn't recognize & correct this issue. Put your best 11 on the field, it doesn't matter if they're a TF or a Red Frosh just find the best 11 & play'em, this steadfast hold of sticking with upperclassmen come **** or high water is only hurting the team & stunting the growth of the younger players with talent.
Smith's adjustment to the ball and effortless catch was so refreshing, one of the highlights for me.

Advertisement
Next man up & play more 4/5-Wide sets.

The Offense isn't really an issue IMO, we just went up against a team that was more talented than us & never loses.

I think the offense will be fine the rest of the way, it's the Defense that needs to make changes particularly at LB & Safety.
I have to disagree. Offense is an issue. We couldn't generate a push at the LOS, WR couldn't get open, and the play calling was wack. Offense and defense needs fixing.

Advertisement
That's one thing I disagreed with Lashlee's press conference. Clemson was playing press man with no safety help. You don't have to just run verticals. You can run sticks and fades all day then bust that *** deep. Just can't understand why that's not in the play calling repertoire.
I was shocked not to see more crossers, TE pop passes, and more stuff over the middle. I get the Oline was overmatched by not a single sweep, TE's were barely targeted, just seemed odd.

It was like a funky misfit child if Richt's Offense, and Enos offense were brother and sister and had a kid, you get what we got on Saturday.... Run up the middle to get stuffed, run 4 verts, don't attack middle of the field.

I am all for playing the young guys at WR, the drops and zero separation are issues.

I was shocked not to see more crossers, TE pop passes, and more stuff over the middle. I get the Oline was overmatched by not a single sweep, TE's were barely targeted, just seemed odd.

It was like a funky misfit child if Richt's Offense, and Enos offense were brother and sister and had a kid, you get what we got on Saturday.... Run up the middle to get stuffed, run 4 verts, don't attack middle of the field.

I am all for playing the young guys at WR, the drops and zero separation are issues.
I think Lashlee was stuck on trying to hurt Clemson deep to make them pay for the type of defense they were running. He could have had the WRs running stick routes, back shoulder fades and out routes. All routes you don't have to contest 50/50 balls on. Then the WR can run a double move every now and again for a wide open TD because there was no safety help on any WR. There were plenty of ways to beat what Clemson was doing. We just didn't have any of it in our game plan nor adjust to it.

Last edited:
We want to bench Pope for fumbling and muffing punts. I agree with that. However the guy we replaced him with made two cardinal sin type plays on punt return against Clemson. Maybe we need to try what’s behind door #3. I don’t want guys fielding punts that are about to roll into the endzone. Or picking up what should be a dead ball and trying to run with 7 defenders right next to him. Has anybody on this team ever fielded a punt before?

Advertisement
Back