Potential depth chart changes moving forward

Advertisement
We want to bench Pope for fumbling and muffing punts. I agree with that. However the guy we replaced him with made two cardinal sin type plays on punt return against Clemson. Maybe we need to try what’s behind door #3. I don’t want guys fielding punts that are about to roll into the endzone. Or picking up what should be a dead ball and trying to run with 7 defenders right next to him. Has anybody on this team ever fielded a punt before?
We are all pining for the days when Berrios just caught the **** ball. lol

We want to bench Pope for fumbling and muffing punts. I agree with that. However the guy we replaced him with made two cardinal sin type plays on punt return against Clemson. Maybe we need to try what’s behind door #3. I don’t want guys fielding punts that are about to roll into the endzone. Or picking up what should be a dead ball and trying to run with 7 defenders right next to him. Has anybody on this team ever fielded a punt before?

You need to learn the game of football. You 100% want that kid picking up that ball after Clemson touched it. There is ZERO downside for him to pick it up. If he makes a play, you win. If he fumbles, the ball goes back to the first touch for Clemson. This is why you keep this kid at PR, he knows the game!

Advertisement
Talent development still sucks in this program. Name some guys who have gotten noticeably better from the time they first started getting reps. Most of our best guys have transferred in and even our better HS recruits like Brevin and Blades are about the same as when they came in.

Harley, Pope, Wiggins, Scaife, Gaynor, Ford, McCloud, Ivey, Hall, etc. - All these guys are the same as when we first saw them.

Lashlee might need to go old school "full house" and have Davis, Knighton, and Cheney in the game at the same time. Add a double TE set and pick the fastest receiver to just run fly patterns to take a defender with him.

I'd like to see just a little bit of creativity when the team is struggling to move the ball. Inside zone run, inside zone run, incomplete pass might not always be the best formula for success.

paul johnson just creamed his britches.

It shouldn’t take a whooping against Clemson to get Brooks to be a starter. 44 and 53 have no business getting snaps over him. Play the best players.
First off, I think you're right in regards to Sam Brooks. Secondly, I think that coaches had been previously playing the "player that knows his job" song to their own disadvantage, because it just meant older defensive guys that "know" the scheme will be trusted more, and we work in our younger guys to gain experience etc etc..but in the Clemson game they finally saw that you cannot play it that way all the time because what happens if a Freshman has the scheme down better than a Jr, and shows that he can make plays? this is the reason behind why we saw 30+ snaps being played by Corey Flagg. I want Brooks at WLB and McCloud and Flagg splitting reps at MLB and I also want to see Huff on the field somehow someway.

That may be true, but Amari Carter can't stay on the field, he gets thrown out of every game he plays lol and Gurvan has just been a let down thus far, Idk what his issue is but he just seems to not be dialed in & bringing it on every down.

This has become Groundhog's day where we're forced to play Upperclassmen despite them making countless mistakes but can't put none of the Frosh in because they're not ready yet.

This coaching staff does a very poor job in developing these players. We get a bunch of 4-star players & they're never ready to go until they're Redshirt Juniors, it's ****** ridiculous.
Yup. Obviously the talent level is a step above but Clemson has freshmen come in as day 1 starters

Advertisement
Talent development still sucks in this program. Name some guys who have gotten noticeably better from the time they first started getting reps. Most of our best guys have transferred in and even our better HS recruits like Brevin and Blades are about the same as when they came in.

Harley, Pope, Wiggins, Scaife, Gaynor, Ford, McCloud, Ivey, Hall, etc. - All these guys are the same as when we first saw them.
This actually is wrong. Our guys aren’t all Americans but frierson and blades are playing at a high level. They were not playing like this early in their career. Nesta has gotten better. Harrison hunt is developing nicely. Cam Williams looks to be coming along. Harley and pope are non factors. Disappointing for sure. But man we have some guys on defense we have developed. Phillips and bolden are playing great and bolden did not look like this last year. He’s gonna play his way to second round.

Here’s the funny thing. Did I mention any offensive guys? Maybe cam harris? Zion. Campbell kind of.

That's one thing I disagreed with Lashlee's press conference. Clemson was playing press man with no safety help. You don't have to just run verticals. You can run sticks, back shoulder fades, and out routes all day then bust that *** deep on a double move. Just can't understand why that's not in the play calling repertoire.
I hear ya, I think he just knew we were behind and wanted a big play to try and get us back into it. Not saying you're wrong, sounds like Lashlee knows he didnt do well and took accountability. Nice to see rather than the player blame game.

The first wave of bandaids before the inevitable is staring us right in the face.

Last edited:
Advertisement
At WR, gotta go with Smith & Redding.

At LB, the 4 man rotation should be Brooks, Flagg, Steed & Huff. Jennings can still get reps on short yardage situations, McCloud needs to hit the pine for good, he just doesn't have the football IQ or the lateral movement needed.

At LG, gotta sit Jakai Clark down for Pitt, too many undisciplined penalties, put Traore in there.

At Safety, time to play Balom & Harrell with Bolden, AC5 just can't keep himself in a game & Gurvan is just unfocused.

Overall, Manny & Baker place too high a premium on Seniority & it's going to continue to bite them in the ***, it will be Manny's downfall if he doesn't recognize & correct this issue. Put your best 11 on the field, it doesn't matter if they're a TF or a Red Frosh just find the best 11 & play'em, this steadfast hold of sticking with upperclassmen come **** or high water is only hurting the team & stunting the growth of the younger players with talent.
that reads like we're 1-4 and focusing on the future ... i agree about the lb corp ... but not ready to dump hall or ac5 for that matter, i agree to work balom in more frequently, but hall had a rough game and coming in during the second half didn't do him any favors against the #1 team ... wr is the biggest disappointment on the team, give anybody that can catch at this point

Last edited:
You need to learn the game of football. You 100% want that kid picking up that ball after Clemson touched it. There is ZERO downside for him to pick it up. If he makes a play, you win. If he fumbles, the ball goes back to the first touch for Clemson. This is why you keep this kid at PR, he knows the game!
Except the ball would have been spotted where the Clemson player touched it instead of where Restrepo got tackled. If there's nobody around you, go for it but he ended up losing yardage.

Well, for me it begins with the OL. Jakai Clark had a dreadful game. Pass and run blocking were bad. He's physically limited and he got worked by Clemson. On the fourth and one play, he got beat by the LB. I swear, Clark just belly-flopped. To make it even worse, I commented on SOTU twitter page about Clark's poor play. After the game, he liked my comments. That struck me as weird.

Campbell struggled also but he kept competing. Scaife struggled. I thought Williams, Gaynor, and Nelson played well.

McCloud and Jennings are constantly out of position. Clemson's gameplan attacked our LBs with misdirection and eye candy and it worked every time. It was hard to watch. Brooks and Flagg played much better.

It's time to give the young WRs some run because Wiggins, Pope and Harley can't separate. Time to give the young WRs an opportunity.

Advertisement
At WR, gotta go with Smith & Redding.

At LB, the 4 man rotation should be Brooks, Flagg, Steed & Huff. Jennings can still get reps on short yardage situations, McCloud needs to hit the pine for good, he just doesn't have the football IQ or the lateral movement needed.

At LG, gotta sit Jakai Clark down for Pitt, too many undisciplined penalties, put Traore in there.

At Safety, time to play Balom & Harrell with Bolden, AC5 just can't keep himself in a game & Gurvan is just unfocused.

Overall, Manny & Baker place too high a premium on Seniority & it's going to continue to bite them in the ***, it will be Manny's downfall if he doesn't recognize & correct this issue. Put your best 11 on the field, it doesn't matter if they're a TF or a Red Frosh just find the best 11 & play'em, this steadfast hold of sticking with upperclassmen come **** or high water is only hurting the team & stunting the growth of the younger players with talent.
Gurvan is another in our long line of players who looks more and more disinterested the longer he's here. His body language is awful. I expected him to grow into an intimidator, but he looks like he'd rather be doing something else.

After doing some digging, below are some potential personnel changes to keep an eye on:

WR- This one has been covered well by @CanesAreAble and others, so I'll just say this: Miami cannot be Miami without impact players at WR. Fortunately, this is an easy problem to fix. Easily attainable recruits like TuTu Atwell and Elijah Moore would have changed the face of this offense. We can get those type of kids without bags. Relevant to this year's team, expect a youth movement. The immediate beneficiary will be Keyshawn Smith.

LB- We will be seeing more of Sam Brooks and Corey Flagg. Both played well in their opportunities on Saturday.

QB2- This is more opinion than info, but I want to see TVD assume the backup role. Kosi is Kosi. We saw that on Saturday. I don't believe his experience makes us any more likely to win in King's absence. Develop your future.

PR- I was calling for Restrepo since camp, which made me feel a little dumb when he fumbled the punt into the endzone. Personally, I'd give him another chance. The dog mentality that carried him to Miami made him too eager to make a play in the rain. Hopefully, he's learned from his mistake. The first PR was actually a smart play-- Clemson had already touched the ball, so Restrepo can pick it up and try to make a play without fear of fumbling. If he did fumble, the team has the option of choosing possession at the spot of the first touch. The other names to watch here are Pope, Hall and Keyshawn Smith.

The problem is - why does it take an ***-stomping from Clemson for our coaches to stop being so **** stubborn?

We have seen poor LB and WR play all year. What did they expect to be different against Clemson? Why not get the young guys more reps BEFORE Clemson to determine who you want in crunch time?

I keyed in a little on Flagg - he had some pros and cons.
- Pros....he sees things quick and moves. He's not a statue like some of the other LBs.
- Cons.....he looks tiny out there in formation, like a high schooler. It's sad that he isn't just a depth player at this point because he needs a lot of time to build strength. He's quick with his reads but he's not strong enough to take on blockers.

Baker just said that Flagg and Brooks have played well and are earning more playing time.

Lashlee said how they didnt win any perimeter battles. Didnt mention a change but the subs in the 3rd quarter might point to younger receiver getting more playing time.
Give me the freshman, Redding looks like he’ll at least fight for the **** ball, Smith looks to have the speed to separate. Let’s build for the future a d let these you g cats get some reps.

At LB give me the utes too. We need more athletes at that position it’s time.

Advertisement
Back