Potential depth chart changes moving forward

Every year the defensive coaches do this **** where they start inferior veterans like Patchan (McCloud) over the more talented youngsters like Rousseau (Brooks). @DMoney, your post about Brooks indicated that the internal sentiment on him was positive this offseason, yet it takes a third of the season for the staff to realize that they need to get him more meaningful snaps. Is Manny just rewarding his older players for loyalty and hard work or is this more of a trust issue where the fear freelancing from Brooks? Appreciate your insight, as always.

Advertisement
@DMoney, on the backup QB issue, I wholeheartedly agree. Clemson continues to provide meaningful snaps early in games for its back up QB. If we wait to be up 30+ late in games to get TVD in games this year, he may never see a meaningful snap until Bama’s D is staring at him across the line of scrimmage in Game 1 next year.
Clemson just knows how to develop players, they get their guys in in safe situations to run easy plays, small roles.. Samething they did with Trevor..

Advertisement
After doing some digging, below are some potential personnel changes to keep an eye on:

WR- This one has been covered well by @CanesAreAble and others, so I'll just say this: Miami cannot be Miami without impact players at WR. Fortunately, this is an easy problem to fix. Easily attainable recruits like TuTu Atwell and Elijah Moore would have changed the face of this offense. We can get those type of kids without bags. Relevant to this year's team, expect a youth movement. The immediate beneficiary will be Keyshawn Smith.

LB- We will be seeing more of Sam Brooks and Corey Flagg. Both played well in their opportunities on Saturday.

QB2- This is more opinion than info, but I want to see TVD assume the backup role. Kosi is Kosi. We saw that on Saturday. I don't believe his experience makes us any more likely to win in King's absence. Develop your future.

PR- I was calling for Restrepo since camp, which made me feel a little dumb when he fumbled the punt into the endzone. Personally, I'd give him another chance. The dog mentality that carried him to Miami made him too eager to make a play in the rain. Hopefully, he's learned from his mistake. The first PR was actually a smart play-- Clemson had already touched the ball, so Restrepo can pick it up and try to make a play without fear of fumbling. If he did fumble, the team has the option of choosing possession at the spot of the first touch. The other names to watch here are Pope, Hall and Keyshawn Smith.
What is going on with Huff and TAC? Is Flagg really going to help with some of the speed issues? At this point I would rather develop the younger guys, since apparently 5 years is not enough for McCloud to have eye discipline or know what is going on, but it would be nice to improve the speed and athleticism while we are at it.

Honestly still want Restrepo at PR, you can tell it was just his young self trying to be Superman. You could tell he knew messed up and felt Terrible. Give him another shot I think he will be smarter with the ball from here on. Give him Pitt and see what he does with it
I'd put Knighton or Keyshawn Smith at PR, Restrepo not ready yet.

Advertisement
Advertisement
What is going on with Huff and TAC? Is Flagg really going to help with some of the speed issues? At this point I would rather develop the younger guys, since apparently 5 years is not enough for McCloud to have eye discipline or know what is going on, but it would be nice to improve the speed and athleticism while we are at it.

Huff and TAC are raw athletes but have a chance to be impact guys if they do the right things and develop. Flagg was much more advanced out of school.

As for Flagg’s speed issues, he plays faster than that one camp time as a HS junior. I think he makes faster just based on IQ and change-of-direction ability.

Advertisement
Every year the defensive coaches do this **** where they start inferior veterans like Patchan (McCloud) over the more talented youngsters like Rousseau (Brooks). @DMoney, your post about Brooks indicated that the internal sentiment on him was positive this offseason, yet it takes a third of the season for the staff to realize that they need to get him more meaningful snaps. Is Manny just rewarding his older players for loyalty and hard work or is this more of a trust issue where the fear freelancing from Brooks? Appreciate your insight, as always.

I just think he plays a ton of LBS. He likes to start the veterans and rotate whole lB lineups. He's done it since hes been here...even if Brooks "started" per se he would be out by 2the 2nd or 3rd series with the new lb group coming in.

Remember Mike Smith getting a good number of reps.

Manny could absolutely be rewarding older players for loyalty. Commentators over and over said how Manny wants to emulate the heats culture of loyalty to the organization. But honestly, I know Mcloud redshirted last season and all, but was that really doing us a favor? I mean he wasn't going to get drafted last season if he moved on. His best move was to comeback this season and try to make some film for the NFL.

Advertisement
Back