Post UNC coaching candidates

Agreed. But flat wouldn’t be acceptable here and as you said, he seems to be on the Iowa retirement path at this point.
He’s 66. Not sure why we would even think about someone that age to be honest (Having said that, I dont discriminate based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ***, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, physical attributes, physical or mental ability or disability, ancestry, political party preference, military affiliation, socioeconomic status, or familial status. 😎).

We would be in the same situation in 5 years and the current admin doesn’t have a good track record of hiring coaches.

Advertisement
It won’t happen, but I agree

This stock down, stock up stuff is absurd

agreed

In my mind we are looking at another Golden type hire. Hopefully better results this time
Personally I'd be pretty optimistic with the hires of the first 3 guys on the list but it's hard being optimistic. This program has sapped the enjoyment out of football for me.

Personally I'd be pretty optimistic with the hires of the first 3 guys on the list but it's hard being optimistic. This program has sapped the enjoyment out of football for me.
Yeah I mean I just can’t expect something that is completely out of the norm for us. It makes no sense. So expectations have to be in order.

I thought the Golden hire was a good one, for the record. It didn’t work out but I didn’t hate the move. It’s really where we are at as a program until proven otherwise

Take a shot on an up and comer, or get a retread coach that’s been fired from somewhere else

No evidence we are gonna get an established currently successful coach so I’m not even going to bother

Advertisement
My List:

Tier 1:

1) Mario Cristobal (Mario has to be Miami’s first, second, and third call. You don’t move onto another candidate unless he gives you a firm no).

2) Mark Stoops (Solid job at UK, does more with less and is a **** of a coach. Would need a good OC. Has it made at UK though, and gets like 500K extra every season he goes over .500. He may not want to leave)

3) Matt Campbell: I have issues with his consistency, but the guy has done miracles at Iowa State. He’s got the personality to succeed here.

4) Dave Arranda: Doing a great job at Baylor. He’s being tied to the LSU job so he may not be an option, but if Mario and Stoops fall through he needs to get a call.

Tier 2:

1) Billy Napier: Doing a great job in the P5. Coached under Saban and knows how to run a program. Don’t want a G5 but if push comes to shove we may not have a choice.

2) Marcus Freeman: Solid coach and hot HC candidate name. Turned around Notre Dame’s defense. Did great at cincy.

3) Greg Schiano: Don’t want him, but wouldn’t be angry if it was him (at least after a few days of venting). He’s a solid coach, but has a reputation as a massive asshol*.

Coaches were not getting: Luke Fickell, Kirk Ferentz, James Franklin, Lane Kiffin, Brent Venables, Dave Clawson.

How are stoops and schiano on your list but kiff gets “others getting votes”??? To me, lane goes to the top of the list. If we hire him, he most likely brings durkin, who is an excellent DC. Stoops, iirc, has a cost prohibitive buyout contract.

I know nothing of Napier. What big wins does he have? I see no excitement there.

How are stoops and schiano on your list but kiff gets “others getting votes”??? To me, lane goes to the top of the list. If we hire him, he most likely brings durkin, who is an excellent DC. Stoops, iirc, has a cost prohibitive buyout contract.
It pains me to ask this but is Miami a step up from Ole Miss? I know we have more tradition and better recruiting grounds but Ole Miss is in the best conference and at a school where the admin fully support the football program.

It pains me to ask this but is Miami a step up from Ole Miss? I know we have more tradition and better recruiting grounds but Ole Miss is in the best conference and at a school where the admin fully support the football program.

Of course it’s a step up. Lane knows there’s a ceiling with ole miss. He still lives part of the year in sofla and he’s a gunner. I think realistically we could hire him for a 3-4 year gig

Advertisement
I know nothing of Napier. What big wins does he have? I see no excitement there.
He's just basically your next young, hot G5 HC. 33-12 record at Louisiana, won the Sun Belt West conference every year he's been there, killer recruiter (apparently) and ties to Sweeney and Saban.

From Wiki: "Napier has broken major team records, including: first double-digit winning season, receiving votes in major national polls, first divisional conference championship, first win against a ranked team on the road, second win against as ranked opponent, the first ever regular season game to air on ESPN, and the highest ranked team that the Cajuns have ever defeated (at No. 23 while previous ranked victory was at No. 25)."

He's just basically your next young, hot G5 HC. 33-12 record at Louisiana, won the Sun Belt West conference every year he's been there, killer recruiter (apparently) and ties to Sweeney and Saban.

From Wiki: "Napier has broken major team records, including: first double-digit winning season, receiving votes in major national polls, first divisional conference championship, first win against a ranked team on the road, second win against as ranked opponent, the first ever regular season game to air on ESPN, and the highest ranked team that the Cajuns have ever defeated (at No. 23 while previous ranked victory was at No. 25)."

Napier’s current recruiting, in terms of a pure 247 recruiting ranking standpoint, is the best in Sun Belt history.

Lane isn’t coming here. Miami isn’t a better job than Ole Miss right now. Also, kiff has been dogsh*t everywhere he’s been, except for FAU. Ole Miss looks good but I want to see more from kiff.

I mentioned Schiano because he’s a guy that’s wanted the job and is a realistic target. I don’t want him but he’s probably at the bottom of some list.

Yall always act like yall know who ain't coming do yall have their personal contact or something yall don't know what situation the other coaches in or might want a change of scenery.. but continue with your internet information.. I'll just wait for the university to put out their information on what coaches they see fit.. listening to yall throwing ***** on the wall hoping it sticks..

Advertisement
For anyone calling for Brady - turn on the Panthers game right now.

He's calling a ****e game.

Advertisement
Tier 1: Stoops, Cristobal, Kiffin, Freeze
No order, I'd be ok with every one of the four. One thing that worries me about Stoops and Mario: conservative offenses.
Tier 2: Billy Napier
I'm intrigued by this guy, don't know why.
Tier 3: Tom Herman
Do not love it, but I can see why he could be a candidate.

I'd like Fickell too in that Tier 1 but I think is USC bound until proven otherwise.

Darkhorse: The Pirate, Mike Leach.

This is where I'm at.

I'm still in the Hugh Freeze corner. Bring him in before LSU hires him.
LSU has the gonads to go after him, or Kiffin. They dont care about optics like Miami does. LSU will probably take a good look at Aranda as well since he is having success at Baylor as a HC.

My List:

Tier 1:

1) Mario Cristobal (Mario has to be Miami’s first, second, and third call. You don’t move onto another candidate unless he gives you a firm no).

2) Mark Stoops (Solid job at UK, does more with less and is a **** of a coach. Would need a good OC. Has it made at UK though, and gets like 500K extra every season he goes over .500. He may not want to leave)

3) Matt Campbell: I have issues with his consistency, but the guy has done miracles at Iowa State. He’s got the personality to succeed here.

4) Dave Arranda: Doing a great job at Baylor. He’s being tied to the LSU job so he may not be an option, but if Mario and Stoops fall through he needs to get a call.

Tier 2:

1) Billy Napier: Doing a great job in the P5. Coached under Saban and knows how to run a program. Don’t want a G5 but if push comes to shove we may not have a choice.

2) Marcus Freeman: Solid coach and hot HC candidate name. Turned around Notre Dame’s defense. Did great at cincy.

3) Greg Schiano: Don’t want him, but wouldn’t be angry if it was him (at least after a few days of venting). He’s a solid coach, but has a reputation as a massive asshol*.

Coaches were not getting: Luke Fickell, Kirk Ferentz, James Franklin, Lane Kiffin, Brent Venables, Dave Clawson.
agree on nearly all of this, good overview, but just curious- why do you think clawson is a no-go?

Advertisement
Back