Post presser (TVD & the WR’s)

The onside kick with 2:20 left and 2 timeouts was a real head scratcher to me. If UNC was that conservative in their play calling that last series from inside our 50 then imagine if they had started on their own 25. The difference in field position was potentially the difference in the game. Starting on our own 10 with 1:15 left vs starting at our 30 etc... was huge. Those decisions win or lose games.

The decision to go for it from the 2 yard line after 6 consecutive plays from inside the 4 was also very questionable to me for a few reasons. First in was early in the game and we were down 7-0. Secondly the momentum had clearly swung in favor of UNC after 6 straight running plays were stuffed. I don't understand why he doesn't take the points there being so early in the game with a kicker who is as close to automatic as you can get at close range. His counter argument may be that even if we don't make it that UNC would have the ball at their own 2 setting our defense up to either create a turnover or get a 3 and out thus setting up great field position. The huge flaw in that thinking is that our defense has not shown the ability to capitalize on those situations. IIRC UNC proceeded to march 98 yards for a TD on their ensuing possession.

At the beginning of the 3rd quarter UNC got the ball and it was immediately evident that Kevin Steele had made some great adjustments. In the first series the DL which had clearly mainlined a case of Popeye's spinach at the half, came out on fire sacking Maye on first down after lining up in what I can only describe as a double wide 9 alignment with Harvey doing the honors around left end. Next Darrell Jackson proceeds to dogwalk the LG right into Maye's face thus forcing Maye to shorten up his arm motion and throw a floater that was picked off by Killa Kam.

At this point the entire team is both confident and fired up about the interception and the 10 unanswered points we scored before halftime as TVD was red hot and UNC had no answers for our passing attack and the uptempo pace we were playing at. Now with all of the above factors at play, momentum clearly with us and Kinchens interception lighting the fuse, that was the time to smell the blood and have TVD attack their defense relentlessly through the air and take control of the game. That wasn't what happened. No, instead of going in for the kill and continue to apply massive pressure to the UNC defense Mario decides to just slow it all down and go back to running the football out of bunch formations. Yes we also threw the ball that drive but just slowing it down allowed UNC to gather themselves and take TVD out of his zone.

These are the types of things that have me concerned. Cristobal's game management and in game decisions are/have been atrocious and I'm not sure that he will improve on that at this point. He can certainly improve and reshape this rooster to the point where we are top 5 in talent but it's the game management and game day decisions that are the difference between making the playoffs and winning the title.
Brilliant points, brother!

I couldn’t have said it any better. Exactly as it happened. Mario is a terrible game day coach, and has zero feel for the game and what his players can and cannot do well.

The fact that after the game he said that he wanted to run the ball a lot more, but TVD was hot so he let him pass a lot of times, shows me that he is clueless.

TVD wasn’t “hot”, that’s exactly what he did last 6 games last season when running a scheme that plays to his strengths, but I guess that Mario has never seen any of TVD’s film from last season, because he would then know this.

Also tells me that he is even more stubborn than I even thought he was.

Great coaches take what the defense is giving them, and attack accordingly.

The great Patriot teams would throw it 45 times one week, and then run it 40 plus times the next week. It always depended on what the D was giving them, and they still do that, even without Brady.

Mario has not shown anything that would tell me he’s a good HC and decision maker.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mario is a very good recruiter, great at the Organizational aspects, great at OL coaching & likely very good at managing relationships with the Administration, Golden Canes etc. I think he'd be best served to focus on playing the role of CEO (focusing heavily on those four aspects) and delegating 99% of the playcalling to the coordinators.

Bingo

Manny Diaz is a fraud

But

With this 2022 roster, I firmly believe Manny and Lashlee would have a better record to date

It’s irrelevant though. Gattis was a huge miss by Mario that will set the rebuild back 1 to 2 seasons

R u talking the same 2022 roster that was the carry over from the “run it back” 2021 roster? That same roster that went 7-5 & lost 58% of its offensive production?! Manny & Lashlee would be doing better, huh?

Don’t let ur anger of this season cause u to be drunk in these skreets, bruh.

The onside kick with 2:20 left and 2 timeouts was a real head scratcher to me. If UNC was that conservative in their play calling that last series from inside our 50 then imagine if they had started on their own 25. The difference in field position was potentially the difference in the game. Starting on our own 10 with 1:15 left vs starting at our 30 etc... was huge. Those decisions win or lose games.

The decision to go for it from the 2 yard line after 6 consecutive plays from inside the 4 was also very questionable to me for a few reasons. First in was early in the game and we were down 7-0. Secondly the momentum had clearly swung in favor of UNC after 6 straight running plays were stuffed. I don't understand why he doesn't take the points there being so early in the game with a kicker who is as close to automatic as you can get at close range. His counter argument may be that even if we don't make it that UNC would have the ball at their own 2 setting our defense up to either create a turnover or get a 3 and out thus setting up great field position. The huge flaw in that thinking is that our defense has not shown the ability to capitalize on those situations. IIRC UNC proceeded to march 98 yards for a TD on their ensuing possession.

At the beginning of the 3rd quarter UNC got the ball and it was immediately evident that Kevin Steele had made some great adjustments. In the first series the DL which had clearly mainlined a case of Popeye's spinach at the half, came out on fire sacking Maye on first down after lining up in what I can only describe as a double wide 9 alignment with Harvey doing the honors around left end. Next Darrell Jackson proceeds to dogwalk the LG right into Maye's face thus forcing Maye to shorten up his arm motion and throw a floater that was picked off by Killa Kam.

At this point the entire team is both confident and fired up about the interception and the 10 unanswered points we scored before halftime as TVD was red hot and UNC had no answers for our passing attack and the uptempo pace we were playing at. Now with all of the above factors at play, momentum clearly with us and Kinchens interception lighting the fuse, that was the time to smell the blood and have TVD attack their defense relentlessly through the air and take control of the game. That wasn't what happened. No, instead of going in for the kill and continue to apply massive pressure to the UNC defense Mario decides to just slow it all down and go back to running the football out of bunch formations. Yes we also threw the ball that drive but just slowing it down allowed UNC to gather themselves and take TVD out of his zone.

These are the types of things that have me concerned. Cristobal's game management and in game decisions are/have been atrocious and I'm not sure that he will improve on that at this point. He can certainly improve and reshape this rooster to the point where we are top 5 in talent but it's the game management and game day decisions that are the difference between making the playoffs and winning the title.
Your point about slowing it down and going back to the run is why I don't think we see last week's wide open offense against VT. VT O is terrible so unlikely they get us in 14 point hole so Maribro will be content with the slow paced run game and we'll claw out a 23-17 win.

Your point about slowing it down and going back to the run is why I don't think we see last week's wide open offense against VT. VT O is terrible so unlikely they get us in 14 point hole so Maribro will be content with the slow paced run game and we'll claw out a 23-17 win.
You are correct and this is why he always lost those head scratchers to Stanford and the like. He has a maddening tendency of playing down to his competition and the watching paint dry in a phone booth type offense that he loves only exacerbates things.

Believe it or not I think that he can succeed here but only if he removes himself from the offense and becomes a true CEO type. In this way he can do what he does best and focus on recruiting and developing the infrastructure and foundational aspects of the program. However it is imperative that he comes to the realization that Miami is at its best when we run an exciting uptempo style of offense that emphasizes getting speedy playmakers the ball in space.

Last edited:
Advertisement
R u talking the same 2022 roster that was the carry over from the “run it back” 2021 roster? That same roster that went 7-5 & lost 58% of its offensive production?! Manny & Lashlee would be doing better, huh?

Don’t let ur anger of this season cause u to be drunk in these skreets, bruh.

I already said it’s a hypothetical that’s not worth hashing out

But the 2022 roster is drastically better than the 2021 roster, excluding WRs.

The reason we are 2-3 is because the offense under Gattis can’t produce points.

So yes, the 2022 roster, if coached by Manny and Lashlee, would be better than 2-3, simply because Lashlee could get more point production than Gattis

Keep the snarky remarks coming without defending your point tho

So yes, the 2022 roster, if coached by Manny and Lashlee, would be better than 2-3, simply because Lashlee could get more point production than Gattis

You sure the offensive roster in 2022 is better than 2021 right now?

No Nelson, X man, George, Citizen, Chaney, Arroyo, JO, of course no Rambo and no Harley and no 7th year Tackle and no Camron Harris.

I don't give a **** what they say in press conferences! I know football and watch the games. Blocking and running the ball are vital fundamentals of football, we are not good at either. The offensive scheme is bad because Gattis and Mario keep trying to do things we are bad at (definition of insanity). Let's recognize the Gattis experiment and Mario's desire to pound the ball yester year. Following the season, release Gattis and bring in an innovative spread set coordinator from one of those Big 8 teams, they good at it. I think it would also resonate with WR recruits. Exciting offensive play would also entice more people attend games. Then on defense we are bad tacklers, can't cover and poor slow linebacker play (I won't call his name). We got more holes than the border.

You sure the offensive roster in 2022 is better than 2021 right now?

No Nelson, X man, George, Citizen, Chaney, Arroyo, JO, of course no Rambo and no Harley and no 7th year Tackle and no Camron Harris.

I’m done debating this hypothetical.

But if you’re gonna use 2022 injuries

Cam Harris was injured by game 6
Jarrid Williams didn’t start playing until halfway thru the year

Advertisement

I can go either way on the onside kick. I’m on the visitors side and was blocked out by the UNC players, but man, the way the crowd reacted on the other sides, I thought it was clean.
Anyway, with the type of onside kick it was, I was good with it. It wasn’t the typical 10 yard OS kick. The recovery that wasn’t was at their 35 yard line? So, it they had recovered, they’re at the 35-40 as opposed to the 25. The illegal touching penalty moved the ball up.

Kudos to Flagg btw on the QB stop. Mack was relying on bad LB play to get the easy 1st down with that call.

Disagree on the 4th down. Mo stays with UNC if they hold us to a FG there.
I will say the 3rd and 6 inches call was a head scratcher. It’s not the most exciting play in football but run the QB sneak again with a little “Bush Push” help from the RB.

Agree 1000% on the series after the INT.
Most teams go for the kill-shot right there.

One sideways point on the plodding offensive approach When not going tempo.
Nothing deflates the crowd more (after a big play) than to wait 35 seconds for an inside running play that loses 2 yards….
then another 35 seconds….
Brings back bad memories of the 2002 Natty. The OSU fans would cheer like crazy after a 3 1/2 yard run. They knew that 2 more of those, 2 minutes later, would get them a first down.
Me no-can-do.

I’m done debating this hypothetical.

But if you’re gonna use 2022 injuries

Cam Harris was injured by game 6
Jarrid Williams didn’t start playing until halfway thru the year
That's fine but where we stand at this point 2022 isn't more talented than 2021.

Hasn't been most of season either.

If this was last years team?

Southern Miss- W 38-24
TA&M- L 37-16
MTSU- W 51-48 OT
UNC- L 52-38

D still very bad and us being a no-show in the “big” games.

That doesn't matter. If we kept Manny, Lashlee would've been at SMU regardless and what OC would've came here knowing Manny already had 1 1/2 feet out the door.. Nobody would've wanted to come here for a 1 and done OC position. So this whole Manny and Lashlee thing is pointless

Advertisement

Hindsight is 20/20. If we would've kicked it deep and UNC got the 1st down your would've been saying he should've kicked the onside kick..

First time in years I couldn’t get through any of the pressers. Garbage suck up reporters in this town…that says it all.

Hindsight is 20/20. If we would've kicked it deep and UNC got the 1st down your would've been saying he should've kicked the onside kick..
No I wouldn't have because kicking it deep is always the right thing to do in that situation.

Advertisement
Bingo

Manny Diaz is a fraud

But

With this 2022 roster, I firmly believe Manny and Lashlee would have a better record to date

It’s irrelevant though. Gattis was a huge miss by Mario that will set the rebuild back 1 to 2 seasons
But the thing is that Lashlee wouldn't be here. He was gone before manny got shytcanned.

Last edited:

How is the 2022 roster “drastically” better? There’s literally nothing to defend.

There was nothing “snarky” about my remark, bruh. I was being 100%. U through me all the way off w/ ur post, hypothetical or not.

That doesn't matter. If we kept Manny, Lashlee would've been at SMU regardless and what OC would've came here knowing Manny already had 1 1/2 feet out the door.. Nobody would've wanted to come here for a 1 and done OC position. So this whole Manny and Lashlee thing is pointless
We also wouldn't have gotten the transfers on the DL to come here either and likely would have lost some guys. If we kept Manny the 2022 roster wouldn't have been what it is. I know he was throwing out a Hypothetical but it's pretty crazy to do that and then claim for sure Diaz has a better record knowing that the roster isn't the same if hes retained.

Advertisement
Back