post practice 4/17/18

So then explain why Nick Saban felt Hurts was not the right guy to win a national championship and Tagovailoa was (which proved true), but now the very next season with no intervening games in between, he suddenly feels Hurts is once again the guy who should start?

You honestly don't think seniority has anything to do with that? The fact he doesn't want Hurts to transfer? The fact Hurts brings leadership and other qualities that - although they would not have translated to a win in the national championship -- they benefit the team?

At the end of the day, I don't care who wins as long as he's the best QB on the roster. I simply question if CMR has the cojones to do that which no one on this board can cite a single example of: redshirt senior incumbent starting QB getting benched for the opener in favor of a freshman (injury/discipline aside). Never been done before and it's myopic to think that in the history of CFB it was invariably because the redshirt senior QB was "better".
My answer to this specific question would be that, the best guy to lead you back from down XYZ points at half is not necessarily the guy that gives you the best chance to win.

Hurts can't sling it up and down the field and score points in a hurry. So for the same reason you put Bird, Curry and Reggie Miller on the court when you are down 3 with 2 seconds to go (and not Kareem, Shaq and Duncan), is the same reason Saban went with Tua over Hurts.

I'm with the crew that thinks Malik doesn't have anything locked up yet. I don't see how anyone that watched him last year can think otherwise.

Advertisement
So then explain why Nick Saban felt Hurts was not the right guy to win a national championship and Tagovailoa was (which proved true), but now the very next season with no intervening games in between, he suddenly feels Hurts is once again the guy who should start?

You honestly don't think seniority has anything to do with that? The fact he doesn't want Hurts to transfer? The fact Hurts brings leadership and other qualities that - although they would not have translated to a win in the national championship -- they benefit the team?

At the end of the day, I don't care who wins as long as he's the best QB on the roster. I simply question if CMR has the cojones to do that which no one on this board can cite a single example of: redshirt senior incumbent starting QB getting benched for the opener in favor of a freshman (injury/discipline aside). Never been done before and it's myopic to think that in the history of CFB it was invariably because the redshirt senior QB was "better".

I don’t think Sabag’s handling of Hurts has anything to do with our situation.

Hurts wasn’t getting it done in the NC game, and Sabag yanked him. It doesn’t mean Sabag thinks Tag is the better option forever; it just means he thought Hurts was stinking it up in THAT game, and he made a switch.

Rick did the same thing with Shirreffs last year. He didn’t think Shirreffs was the better option FOREVER, but Rosier was particularly awful in THAT GAME. One instance isn’t a referendum on forever.

Sometimes, I think you guys get bored and look to turn this **** into a science project. Most of it is feel based on information and experience.

Rick will pick the guy that he thinks will give us the best chance to win. It’ll have nothing to do with anything but that. He might be wrong because it’s not a science project. And I Rosier gets in another funk, and Rick feels comfortable at all that Perry or Williams can do better he’ll put them in.

If he’s smart, he won’t put a guy in who he thinks can’t run the offense and will do worse than Rosier just out of panic. Because if he does that, and it blows up on him he could fck up the whole season by then having a bunch of lame duck QBs looking over their shoulders to a lamer duck.

I don’t think Sabag’s handling of Hurts has anything to do with our situation.

Hurts wasn’t getting it done in the NC game, and Sabag yanked him. It doesn’t mean Sabag thinks Tag is the better option forever; it just means he thought Hurts was stinking it up in THAT game, and he made a switch.

Rick did the same thing with Shirreffs last year. He didn’t think Shirreffs was the better option FOREVER, but Rosier was particularly awful in THAT GAME. One instance isn’t a referendum on forever.

Sometimes, I think you guys get bored and look to turn this **** into a science project. Most of it is feel based on information and experience.

Rick will pick the guy that he thinks will give us the best chance to win. It’ll have nothing to do with anything but that. He might be wrong because it’s not a science project. And I Rosier gets in another funk, and Rick feels comfortable at all that Perry or Williams can do better he’ll put them in.

If he’s smart, he won’t put a guy in who he thinks can’t run the offense and will do worse than Rosier just out of panic. Because if he does that, and it blows up on him he could fck up the whole season by then having a bunch of lame duck QBs looking over their shoulders to a lamer duck.

Every rambling thread on the QB situation should have this posted.

Great now our QB1 has gone full metro-sexual.

I bet he has a shower puff hanging from his shower head.

I don't believe that. Richt isn't going to pull him unless he absolutely has to & just throwing picks in a game won't be enough. Richt said in that video the only game where Malik couldn't hit his targets was Pitt. That to me lets me know he doesn't really care if Malik didn't play well in several other games because we won, Va Tech for example.

That's what I was alluding to in some of my comments yesterday, Richt is sticking with Rosier no matter what, because if he benches him too quick it defeats the purpose of starting him in the first place.

Richt knows better than I do & I have no problem being wrong. If he thinks Rosier gives us the best chance to win then I'm fine with that, I hope he's right. But I don't see any of the other QB's playing a lick this season, except for maybe late 4th quarter vs Savannah St. & maybe FIU.

The QB competition is for QB2, not for the starter.

Richt pulled Rosier in arguably the biggest game of our season last year at the half. He pulled him for a kid who has transferred and who some would argue has no business playing D1A ball. I think that showed that Richt isn't afraid to bench Rosier. I have a hunch that if Richt sees Perry and Williams making strides and are proving to be worthy of PT, he won't hesitate to pull Rosier.

All that said, it's super risky to do it game 1 for fear of causing issues within the team. But, if the coaches believe in Perry/Williams, the team is on board with those guys and Rosier ***** the bed, why wouldn't Richt pull him? The other thing is what is it going to take to pull rosier?

Advertisement
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes , get in here. Y'all want to make a little friendly side wager on who puts the most work in this Summer? I'm taking Williams.

Probably.

You’d think Perry would bear down. He has the arm talent. Maybe he will. If I was advising him, I’d tell him to get his *** in gear and fight every second of every day for that job. Opportunities like this don’t grow on trees.

But it just depends on people’s personalities. Some people are street fighters. Some aren’t.

You have to work for it. A lot of people talk about the grind, but they don’t really do what it takes, they just talk about it.

Probably.

You’d think Perry would bear down. He has the arm talent. Maybe he will. If I was advising him, I’d tell him to get his *** in gear and fight every second of every day for that job. Opportunities like this don’t grow on trees.

But it just depends on people’s personalities. Some people are street fighters. Some aren’t.

You have to work for it. A lot of people talk about the grind, but they don’t really do what it takes, they just talk about it.
I hope Perry gets after it. I mean, I love what Williams brings to the table as well, but like you said, Perry has the opportunity to be special right now if he can put it all together.

Lol at the notion the QB position isn’t up for grabs and Richt already has made his decision. No shot that is the case.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back