Post Game Recap: Clemson

I think this team is different than past teams as I’ve mentioned before, they don’t give up. They play til the last second ticks off the clock. Even against NC we still came through with a late charge. Excellent write up as always. It was a great win and glad we were in the W column afterwards.

Advertisement
The assessment of Emory's interception is incorrect. On the Pass to George, Emory threw the ball to the correct location inside. George didn't finish his route inside like he's supposed to. It was discussed on ACC The Huddle postgame. Coach Mark Richt confirmed.

He's not a finished product, but he has some talent to work with. He should be really good in a year or two.
Came here to say this! He stems inside at the start of that post and then kicks back vertical.. Emory only sees that inside attack to cross the face and let it go. That's not on Emory one bit imo.

Great post as always

I didn’t agree with the last drive but you are right. It was the right thing to do, relay on the units that got you to this point and let them win the game.

I think the part about Mario's strategy that has gotten lost is the mental aspect for Emory and the OL. By going into OT, they only needed to move the ball 25 yards (or less for a FG) to win. That's certainly more manageable mentally and physically than moving the ball the same 25 yards and still having to kick a 40+ yard fg.

The truth is Emory is not really ready.

Most of the throws he was making were very simple & easy reads, you can’t put a TF QB that’s not really ready in position to have to drive the distance of the field for a FG. Shortening the field by playing for OT IMO was actually the right move, because in OT it’s **** near impossible to not get down to the goaline, all it takes is 2 plays & you’re inside the 5.

Which means, in a situation where your QB isn’t really being asked to do much advanced field reading or making too many high level throws, you wanna put him as close to the End zone as possible in order to expand the options we have Offensively & the easiest way to do that is take it to Overtime.

The further out from the Red Zone you are the less options you have, meaning you have to throw the ball & the odds of making a bad throw are increased if you have to drive 30-40 yards out, as opposed to essentially being just 20 yards out where you can cut that amount in half with run plays.

It’s simple math, shorter field = more opportunities to score.
this is a great explanation and you've convinced me. i was ****ting my pants and foaming at the mouth at mario in the gameday thread when this happened. but, after listening to him in the presser it's clear he had a plan, had reasons for the plan, and executed it. wasn't like he was corching like a chicken with his head cut off.

there were a handful of throws emory made earlier in the game to the outside hash that we're lucky clemson didn't pick them off and house them - ala what washington did against ASU. emory probably woulda been asked to make a couple more of those throws had we tried to get 30-40 yards at end of 4th quarter. i can see where mario was coming from.

[still should have taken a knee on the last play tho, lol]

Advertisement
The truth is Emory is not really ready.

Most of the throws he was making were very simple & easy reads, you can’t put a TF QB that’s not really ready in position to have to drive the distance of the field for a FG. Shortening the field by playing for OT IMO was actually the right move, because in OT it’s **** near impossible to not get down to the goaline, all it takes is 2 plays & you’re inside the 5.

Which means, in a situation where your QB isn’t really being asked to do much advanced field reading or making too many high level throws, you wanna put him as close to the End zone as possible in order to expand the options we have Offensively & the easiest way to do that is take it to Overtime.

The further out from the Red Zone you are the less options you have, meaning you have to throw the ball & the odds of making a bad throw are increased if you have to drive 30-40 yards out, as opposed to essentially being just 20 yards out where you can cut that amount in half with run plays.

It’s simple math, shorter field = more opportunities to score.
Couldn't agree more! I believe the way our D made them one dimensional and our ability to run had worn them down made the decision to play for OT the correct one.
GO CANES

Good write up. I disagree with the decision to play for OT. While Miami had the advantage in OT for obvious reasons... not trying to let Emory win it in a 2 minute offense was giving away an opportunity to win the game. Emory played great in the 4th and deserved a chance to win it for his boys.

4Wr is the move. Spread defenses out and let our 5 oline beat a light box. get mccormick off the field.. I get having him in to make run blocking better. But there is no excuse for him likely finishing this game (and most games) as probably one of the highest snap count skill position players on the team. It's getting ridiculous. And this isn't even me *****ing about getting the TEs more involved - which I think should happen too. But if we spread defenses out with Colbie and George on the outside with X and Brashard or Harrel on the inside.... I'm confident this offense will be even better.
The other improvement is just more pistol runs Getting our RB running forward I think makes a difference. We are soooo much better run blocking when we have our Olineman downblocking and pulling. It's not even close.

Dude, A—*******—Men!

I am sure coaches have their reasons for the triple-option personnel, mostly their comfort, but if we step back and let this OL eat against light boxes, the game will tilt heavily in our favor. As an added bonus, it would align so favorably with what our starting QB does so well in the RPO and downfield passing game.

Now, last night, I don’t know, I kind of get it. I don’t think Emory was scaring Clemson in pass the game no matter what we did. They do have DBs who can break on his throws. I see where that might be too much risk too speculative reward for coaches.

Going forward, If we’re going to be obsessive about big formations, we need to be a little more multipurpose to keep teams a little honest. On the last 3rd and short, a quick PA to a TE, any of the three would have walked into the EZ alone. Clemson wasn’t even covering them.

jaden davis had a pretty good game. killed the long pass momo early.
No he didn’t.

The first big play of the game for Clemson was a 5 route to Adam Randall for 34yds with Jaden Davis covering him. He got grooved off inside release & if it wasn’t for Kam making an ankle tackle he houses it for a TD.

The first 2 deep balls to Beaux Collins was blatant PI by JD, the refs just didn’t call it.

But there was a reason they attacked him all night, he’s been identified by OC’s as the mark.

Advertisement
Great write up as always. I don’t agree on burning up the clock and going to OT.

20-25 yards for a field goal attempt and 100% ball in your hands in regulation vs 25 yards for a score in OT with the ball 50% in your hands. 💁🏻‍♂️

Had OT not gone our way the herd would’ve been tearing the HC apart for this and rightfully so.

Thank God we got the win though. Defense was lights out, OL was dominant and a true freshman QB got a win against a top 10 Clemson defense in his first start.
Putting pressure on Emory to make the right throw under pressure to get into Field Goal range lessens the odds of winning.

You’re giving Clemson’s Defense an upper hand because they know you have to throw the ball, which means they can sit back & drop 7 & potentially force an incompletion or get a pick. Emory didn’t show anything that would warrant putting the game completely on his shoulders.

You take it to OT & out the ball closer to the End Zone, now you can run it with your OL dominating & increase the odds of scoring. You also can continue to run the scaled down looks that you’ve been giving Emory by throwing screens to Restrepo in order to shorten the field.

Again it’s math; shorter distance, less risk for turnover, more options for play calling, higher probability to score.

No he didn’t.

The first big play of the game for Clemson was a 5 route to Adam Randall for 34yds with Jaden Davis covering him. He got grooved off inside release & if it wasn’t for Kam making an ankle tackle he houses it for a TD.

The first 2 deep balls to Beaux Collins was blatant PI by JD, the refs just didn’t call it.

But there was a reason they attacked him all night, he’s been identified by OC’s as the mark.

Yea we 100% got away with PI on those. The one inside slant, Davis fell, luckily Kam was there to help.

The assessment of Emory's interception is incorrect. On the Pass to George, Emory threw the ball to the correct location inside. George didn't finish his route inside like he's supposed to. It was discussed on ACC The Huddle postgame. Coach Mark Richt confirmed.

He's not a finished product, but he has some talent to work with. He should be really good in a year or two.
That wasn’t an assement on the pick, I was talking about on the our 3rd drive of the game it’s 3rd & 9 on our 11yd line & Emory throws an incomplete pass to George because he misread his break.

Putting pressure on Emory to make the right throw under pressure to get into Field Goal range lessens the odds of winning.

You’re giving Clemson’s Defense an upper hand because they know you have to throw the ball, which means they can sit back & drop 7 & potentially force an incompletion or get a pick. Emory didn’t show anything that would warrant putting the game completely on his shoulders.

You take it to OT & out the ball closer to the End Zone, now you can run it with your OL dominating & increase the odds of scoring. You also can continue to run the scaled down looks that you’ve been giving Emory by throwing screens to Restrepo in order to shorten the field.

Again it’s math; shorter distance, less risk for turnover, more options for play calling, higher probability to score.
Can anyone explain at the least if that’s what he’s doing, why he didn’t take a knee as opposed to handing the ball off to Chaney like he did against GT?

Advertisement
4Wr is the move. Spread defenses out and let our 5 oline beat a light box. get mccormick off the field.. I get having him in to make run blocking better. But there is no excuse for him likely finishing this game (and most games) as probably one of the highest snap count skill position players on the team. It's getting ridiculous. And this isn't even me *****ing about getting the TEs more involved - which I think should happen too. But if we spread defenses out with Colbie and George on the outside with X and Brashard or Harrel on the inside.... I'm confident this offense will be even better.
The other improvement is just more pistol runs Getting our RB running forward I think makes a difference. We are soooo much better run blocking when we have our Olineman downblocking and pulling. It's not even close.
McCormick had some really strong performances during the season but I agree that’s not always gonna be a sustainable practice

Advertisement
I said the same thing

Imagine today if we fumble that ball and Clemson kicks the FG to win the game

The guy is unfathomable at times
Or imagine we break a long run and get into FG range or even 10 yards away while we had a TO left.

Lets not try to equate yesterday not taking a knee with GTech where the game was literally WON with a knee. Totally different.

Came here to say this! He stems inside at the start of that post and then kicks back vertical.. Emory only sees that inside attack to cross the face and let it go. That's not on Emory one bit imo.
It was discussed during the post game on the ACC Huddle. When they interviewed Emory, he said there was a miscommunication. CMR stepped in and said Emory was being kind. CMR said the WR was supposed finish his route by cutting to the inside across the defender's face. He said Emory threw the ball where it was supposed to go (paraphrasing).

So, George didn't run the route properly.

Advertisement
Back