Post Game Recap: Clemson

Advertisement
X is nice on 3 and short but we need to get Smith, Ray and Young the ball. Too much talent there.
4Wr is the move. Spread defenses out and let our 5 oline beat a light box. get mccormick off the field.. I get having him in to make run blocking better. But there is no excuse for him likely finishing this game (and most games) as probably one of the highest snap count skill position players on the team. It's getting ridiculous. And this isn't even me *****ing about getting the TEs more involved - which I think should happen too. But if we spread defenses out with Colbie and George on the outside with X and Brashard or Harrel on the inside.... I'm confident this offense will be even better.
The other improvement is just more pistol runs Getting our RB running forward I think makes a difference. We are soooo much better run blocking when we have our Olineman downblocking and pulling. It's not even close.

The craziest part is, on the first 3 Deep balls thrown at JDavis he was getting away with actual Pass Interference lol

I guess when you’re a smaller Corner they give you more leeway to grab & tug, but JD was literally hugging Beaux Collins.
Clemson came into the game and said we are just gonna attack jaden out the gate lol, thank god he held up but there might have to be some tough conversations with addae and guidry, we will face way better wrs than clemson core and they will test jaden.

It’s unfortunate **** near everytime devonte gets in its a pi because it’s probably just messing with his and the staffs confidence, we need him to get on track this half of the year

The assessment of Emory's interception is incorrect. On the Pass to George, Emory threw the ball to the correct location inside. George didn't finish his route inside like he's supposed to. It was discussed on ACC The Huddle postgame. Coach Mark Richt confirmed.

He's not a finished product, but he has some talent to work with. He should be really good in a year or two.

Advertisement
The truth is Emory is not really ready.

Most of the throws he was making were very simple & easy reads, you can’t put a TF QB that’s not really ready in position to have to drive the distance of the field for a FG. Shortening the field by playing for OT IMO was actually the right move, because in OT it’s **** near impossible to not get down to the goaline, all it takes is 2 plays & you’re inside the 5.

Which means, in a situation where your QB isn’t really being asked to do much advanced field reading or making too many high level throws, you wanna put him as close to the End zone as possible in order to expand the options we have Offensively & the easiest way to do that is take it to Overtime.

The further out from the Red Zone you are the less options you have, meaning you have to throw the ball & the odds of making a bad throw are increased if you have to drive 30-40 yards out, as opposed to essentially being just 20 yards out where you can cut that amount in half with run plays.

It’s simple math, shorter field = more opportunities to score.
Simple math, more opportunities to score = better chance to win. We needed 30 yards to get into field goal range. OT we need 25 yds for TD. To quote Travis Kelce, “ you got to shoot your best shot.” - cosigned Taylor Swift

Clemson came into the game and said we are just gonna attack jaden out the gate lol, thank god he held up but there might have to be some tough conversations with addae and guidry, we will face way better wrs than clemson core and they will test jaden.

It’s unfortunate **** near everytime devonte gets in its a pi because it’s probably just messing with his and the staffs confidence, we need him to get on track this half of the year

It was 3rd and 24, he came in, Clemson looked around and saw he was up at the line and said fresh meat… threw it exactly where most expected it to go and got the call.

3rd and long defense is something else at times

Advertisement
We don’t always agree, but I always appreciate how you call like you see it and give credit when credit is due.

I do agree with taking it to OT for the same reasons you stated.

Plus I’d add that Clemson is statistically one of the worst redzone offense teams.

it’s kinda getting overlooked in a game with a lot of big plays. But that dime Emory threw to Colby on 3rd and 13 prolly saved the game.

Advertisement
The truth is Emory is not really ready.

Most of the throws he was making were very simple & easy reads, you can’t put a TF QB that’s not really ready in position to have to drive the distance of the field for a FG. Shortening the field by playing for OT IMO was actually the right move, because in OT it’s **** near impossible to not get down to the goaline, all it takes is 2 plays & you’re inside the 5.

Which means, in a situation where your QB isn’t really being asked to do much advanced field reading or making too many high level throws, you wanna put him as close to the End zone as possible in order to expand the options we have Offensively & the easiest way to do that is take it to Overtime.

The further out from the Red Zone you are the less options you have, meaning you have to throw the ball & the odds of making a bad throw are increased if you have to drive 30-40 yards out, as opposed to essentially being just 20 yards out where you can cut that amount in half with run plays.

It’s simple math, shorter field = more opportunities to score.
This X 1000. I said at the moment don’t put this kid in a position to fail. Don’t expect him to execute a 2 minute offense. Run the ball, which we’re doing very well, a few times. Maybe we break one and if not, take it OT.

M
Awesome writeup, Memnon.

MVP: Ruben Wrecking Ball Bain
Game balls: Emory, Colby Young, Brashard Smith, LT, Kam and of course #11

I've been so hard on Flagg for so long. This season I finally acknowledged his value to the team but still felt he shouldn't see the field as much as he does. But that 4th down stop in double overtime shows why coaches have faith in him. Kudos to them and to him.

Loved seeing new names as playmakers, especially Brashard. I am at a loss as to why we aren't using Harrell and the TEs more. But I get why coaches wouldn't roll out too much new with Emory at QB.

My one disagreement with the above is the final 1:30 of regulation. Kid put us in a position to win. Trust him to make smart throws and not turn the ball over. All we needed was 30-40 yards to get into field goal range. I also thought three back-to-back runs between the tackles to start OT1 was terrible play calling ... But hey, we won.

Nice to see TVD so happy for Emory. The team has heart and really does act like a family. Hopefully they build off this win and turn this season into something memorable.

Finally thought -- F the Refs. That was a safety. And the defense hold call was total BS. The shorter older chubbier ref was clearly on Dabo's and/or Tabaco Road's payroll.
Marcus Woods?

Advertisement
Don’t think Cloud had bad coverage on that first Briningstool TD. He was completely smothered, step by step and the ball goes right by his hands, it was great coverage, even greater throw/catch.

Miami came back down 10 in the 4th with a freshman QB to win in overtime. And the defense absolutely stud up a wall at the goaline for 4 DOWNS!! I’ve been extremely pessimistic and even was once I found out Emory was starting, time for me to eat ****. Maybe I’ll be hopeful moving forward?

Great write up as always. I don’t agree on burning up the clock and going to OT.

20-25 yards for a field goal attempt and 100% ball in your hands in regulation vs 25 yards for a score in OT with the ball 50% in your hands. 💁🏻‍♂️

Had OT not gone our way the herd would’ve been tearing the HC apart for this and rightfully so.

Thank God we got the win though. Defense was lights out, OL was dominant and a true freshman QB got a win against a top 10 Clemson defense in his first start.

Advertisement
Back