Post Game Recap: Clemson

Advertisement
I thought malpractice not even trying for points at the end of the game. Maybe a simple 1 read deep shot if it isn’t there throw it away or something. Big gamble

Davis sucks. If we could find someone on the bench who can unseat JD this defense could be really scary. Don’t think we can beat FSU with him out there unless he can mug the WR all night since they are just the jump ball offense

Advertisement
His injury situation is really tight-lipped.

You ask about him and people look at you like you’ve just asked for the location of the Ark of the Covenant.
Lower extremity. The timeline Mario gave for what the injury is was odd. I’d expect it to be a little longer. Even to the point his season was over but Mario said 3-4 weeks and that was 10-14 days ago. You never know with him when it comes to injuries.

Putting pressure on Emory to make the right throw under pressure to get into Field Goal range lessens the odds of winning.

You’re giving Clemson’s Defense an upper hand because they know you have to throw the ball, which means they can sit back & drop 7 & potentially force an incompletion or get a pick. Emory didn’t show anything that would warrant putting the game completely on his shoulders.

You take it to OT & out the ball closer to the End Zone, now you can run it with your OL dominating & increase the odds of scoring. You also can continue to run the scaled down looks that you’ve been giving Emory by throwing screens to Restrepo in order to shorten the field.

Again it’s math; shorter distance, less risk for turnover, more options for play calling, higher probability to score.
Spot on assessment as usual.

The one thing that I haven’t seen anyone comment on yet is the fact that the OL kept Emory CLEAN. Not one sack on the night. That’s impressive against a top 5 defense
Agreed. Really thought the job the OL did all night coupled with the play of Bain and the DL were the 2 keys to the game. We really controlled their vaunted DL all night long.

Advertisement
Putting pressure on Emory to make the right throw under pressure to get into Field Goal range lessens the odds of winning.

You’re giving Clemson’s Defense an upper hand because they know you have to throw the ball, which means they can sit back & drop 7 & potentially force an incompletion or get a pick. Emory didn’t show anything that would warrant putting the game completely on his shoulders.

You take it to OT & out the ball closer to the End Zone, now you can run it with your OL dominating & increase the odds of scoring. You also can continue to run the scaled down looks that you’ve been giving Emory by throwing screens to Restrepo in order to shorten the field.

Again it’s math; shorter distance, less risk for turnover, more options for play calling, higher probability to score.

Just have to look at Clemson’s red zone issues and kicking issues to know why we did what we did. Add on top of it we have momentum and the risks you mention, simple choice.

I get what you are saying. I'm just of the opinion that Dawson (i.e. Mario) should have been able to call routes that would minimize any chance of a turnovver in the short to mid range. And if Colby or a TE or whatever breaks a tackle, you're in scoring position. And I understand Chaney was only a yard away from getting a first down in OT1 on that third up the gut rush. It was just too conservative for me. .... Again, we covered 10 points in the 4th quarter because of the Emory to Young connection. Don't coaches always say go with the hot hand?

We got the win. That's what matters. But I aged a year in the process.
Only a year? I feel 3 years older

Cool let’s go back and forth playing fantasy football

It’s funny now. But in his post game that’s exactly what he told the media he was hoping for.

I didn’t believe the bro ball chorus preseason and especially after A&M. I thought he’d give Dawson more independence. But I’m a believer now that Mario imposes his will on the playcalling, even more so with Williams at QB.

Advertisement
It’s funny now. But in his post game that’s exactly what he told the media he was hoping for.

I didn’t believe the bro ball chorus preseason and especially after A&M. I thought he’d give Dawson more independence. But I’m a believer now that Mario imposes his will on the playcalling, even more so with Williams at QB.
I don’t doubt it but I also don’t just believe everything that comes out of Mario’s mouth

And even if he is telling the truth it doesn’t mean that what he says isn’t dumb sometimes

Lower extremity. The timeline Mario gave for what the injury is was odd. I’d expect it to be a little longer. Even to the point his season was over but Mario said 3-4 weeks and that was 10-14 days ago. You never know with him when it comes to injuries.
At this point, we could really use him & citizen even with limited roles. If we can’t force teams to respect the run, QBs will have very tight windows. Compound it with limited blow the top off speed and those windows are really small.

Just watched the super condensed version of the game so I didn’t see a lot of the minimal gain plays so hard to judge line play but one thing I’m not sure mentioned is how clutch Andy was. Hit huge FG to tie the game and OT. Kid has been good!

Advertisement
No he didn’t.

The first big play of the game for Clemson was a 5 route to Adam Randall for 34yds with Jaden Davis covering him. He got grooved off inside release & if it wasn’t for Kam making an ankle tackle he houses it for a TD.

The first 2 deep balls to Beaux Collins was blatant PI by JD, the refs just didn’t call it.

But there was a reason they attacked him all night, he’s been identified by OC’s as the mark.

I guess Richards and the older brown brother aren’t very good. I thought we would see them taking snaps this year

So if Don is out next week or beyond that leaves the following:

Parrish I think he will be back
Allen
Smith
Johnson Jr and that’s it. Yikes things are getting slim in that room

Advertisement
Back