Post from Reddit comparing Miami, UF, and FSU.

Advertisement
People seriously still talk about Miami joining the Blue Blood programs? Is this post from 2005 or something?

At this point, I think the main consensus outside of the Canes fanbase (and even to some extent in the Canes fanbase) is that Miami football is done forever.

Right around 1998 I was in high school, and a die-hard Canes fan. I was trash talking with one of my classmates, a Gator, who said "Miami is done." My response was "within two years Miami will be back in contention for a national title." Well, along came the 2000 season, where we all know who should have won a 'ship (and if we're UCF, we'd be claiming it based on a New York Times poll).

Point being, the consensus outside the Canes fanbase is stupid. They don't understand the power of the program or it's ability to come back from the doldrums. We've done it twice already. While I admit that CFB is markedly different now, it takes an absolute idiot to count the 'Canes out.

It only uses data from 1980-2009. A little odd how they exclude the last 10 years of CFB for this. Our win % falls more than 50 points if you include 2010-2019.

Well, that data is FAR more relevant than 1870-1950 when there were no scholarship limitations and only white guys could play.

No, I take it more that we're still recovering from a decade of underspending from the previous UM administration. It's like an elite athlete running a marathon, but unlike other competitors he has a parachute attached to him. The parachute is now off (or riddled with holes), but there is still a lot of ground to make up.

WHAT previous administration?

If you think that the President has that much impact on football, my friend Nevin has a great investment in a chain of grocery stores.

Advertisement
Early 90s was crazy. There were some weeks when all 3 were in top 5. Many weeks where 2 were top 5

I believe I looked into this notion in the past and it's not true. Maybe top 10, but typically no more than two of the programs were dominant at the same time.

I'm not certain we watched the same Hurricanes last season.

The current OL has topped out. No amount of coaching will fix it. A scheme MIGHT take a 1/2 second of pressure off, but run blocks are still run blocks.

Unless the entire OL is changed out prior to kickoff against Temple, guaranteed DIII OL performance.

Again.

While I completely agree the OL was the crux of the issue, a solid OL is ALL about mental and physical maturity, and ours was very, very young. They SHOULD get better with another year and scheme that takes some pressure off them.

Advertisement
40 years is kind of arbitrary. Why not 25 years, 50 years, or 75 years?

I don't put much stock in comparisons like this. It's not a level playing field. The teams are in different conferences and have different strengths of schedule. We got to play a bunch of bowl games on our own home field while FSU and UF didn't. Meanwhile, UF has had access to SEC money and prestige while Miami and FSU hasn't.

I would rather us not become one of those fan bases always pointing to distant accomplishments. It's a bad look.

Scholarship limitations took place in the 60's or 70's, I think. The game was COMPLETELY different before that.

Ask yourself what a current national champ would to to an 1890's Princeton team.

Still didn't go winless in that season. Nice try though.

It's not a try, it's a trend.

Let's hope they can turn it around.

Make zero mistake--serious people who know about organizations and performance know this--Manuela's 2019 was not an aberration.

His hires of Lashlee and Justice as from desperation, not strength. It's those two, and not Manuela, whose 2020 success rests upon.

Advertisement
While I completely agree the OL was the crux of the issue, a solid OL is ALL about mental and physical maturity, and ours was very, very young. They SHOULD get better with another year and scheme that takes some pressure off them.

A key metric will be run blocking in 2020, especially 3rd down/short yardage/goal line.

Remember, Lashlee's scheme will not FIX Canes' putrid OL, but rather MASK their pass protection failures. Not necessarily a bad thing, but make no mistake, scheme doesn't fix DIII quality OL'rs.

Advertisement
Mullen will not be able to sustain the success once he goes through three recruiting cycles. It's gonna be Meyer all over again, except without the winning.

Why can't Mullen do it? He has resources and ingredients to do so.

I hope he fails miserably, but HOPE is an often ineffective way at evaluating reality.

Can Lashlee and Justice stem Miami's bleeding?

Part of me wants yes (don't ever want to see Canes lose), part of me wants no (likely leads to Manuela's firing in 2020).

It truly is tough call for Miami's long term success.

ANYONE who supports Manuela is essentially advocating for Vanderbilt/Wake Forest like programs. Not good or bad, just is.

But don't kid yourself.

0-4 wins? Come on. Don't be an idiot. A real offensive coordinator and QB, and 4 wins is the ceiling to you? Man, about 50% of this board is just the worst. Same as the general population, I guess. Could have a beer with about half of you and it'd be great.....the other half can go die in a fire......just a brutal, miserable bunch of people, that other half.

Ok. Fanbase couldn't comprehend losses to FIU, Duke, and La Tech.

You might want to review my 2019 posts.

Again, if you think at this point, 4Ws (or less) isn't a possibility for a 2020 Manuela HC'd Canes squad, you aren't paying attention.

OLrs will not be better in 2020, they were given enough reps and time on the line to see they topped out. Could they grow and get stronger? Perhaps, but highly likely marginal at best.

Zion is a turnstile and 100 years on OL, with G Upshaw, O Pace, A Munoz, and F Gregg* as his tutors isn't going to change it.

*Bonus for anyone who knows connection between F Gregg and Lashlee.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back