Post-camp thoughts (long)

That lawyer needs to get aggressive. If the charges were dismissed, the university has zero basis in keeping him from extracurricular activities. The alleged victim was not a student.

I get that universities have to be careful. They need to do the right thing to protect their students and to protect themselves from liability in case there was a bad incident in the future against a female student. But you have to base those decisions on actual factual evidence.
This isn't true.

Again, as I posted in another thread, team rules are different than being arrested/convicted.

You can fail 5 drug tests and get kicked off the team, all while never being near a cop.

These guys likely sign some kind of Code of Conduct. My guess is there is no way they would have dismissed him if they didn't have solid evidence that he somehow broke it (because now you are talking about a potential binding agreement... the player gets a scholarship in exchange for doing A, B & C and for not doing X, Y & Z).

That said, if they want to reinstate him and give him a second chance, no doubt they can.

Advertisement
NC State is as tough a cross-division pull you can get this year, aside from Clemson. BC is one-dimensional, and I don't think anyone else is even a threat.
Wolfpack are going to be a tough out. They played us tough without their quarterback who’s pretty dam good.

No. X isn’t really even a Z (field receiver). He’s a pure slot. But in 10 you can go two slots.

I also like two slots out of trips with a Y-iso for Mallory on the other side.
Trips is the formation for X. If he's matched up on an OLB, forget it. If a Safety has to cover a ton of distance on him, it's tough to fill that alley and make a solid tackle on a dude built like X. I'd roll him out there on trips with Harley and KSmith to one side. Layer those routes and go to work on whoever on D sucks the most.

This isn't true.

Again, as I posted in another thread, team rules are different than being arrested/convicted.

You can fail 5 drug tests and get kicked off the team, all while never being near a cop.

These guys likely sign some kind of Code of Conduct. My guess is there is no way they would have dismissed him if they didn't have solid evidence that he somehow broke it (because now you are talking about a potential binding agreement... the player gets a scholarship in exchange for doing A, B & C and for not doing X, Y & Z).

That said, if they want to reinstate him and give him a second chance, no doubt they can.
You need to enforce team rules equitably and reasonably. Obviously it's appropriate to suspend or dismiss a player arrested for multiple felonies. But now the charges have been dismissed. This is not the same thing as a failed drug test. This is a failed drug test that was later thrown out for technical deficiencies.

I also don't like the argument about the standard for finding guilt. This wasn't a judge or a jury decision, this was dropping all charges. Different situations entirely.

Advertisement
That lawyer needs to get aggressive. If the charges were dismissed, the university has zero basis in keeping him from extracurricular activities. The alleged victim was not a student.

I get that universities have to be careful. They need to do the right thing to protect their students and to protect themselves from liability in case there was a bad incident in the future against a female student. But you have to base those decisions on actual factual evidence.
disagree. it is a privilege, not a right to play. the university can withhold his participation for any reason or no reason except for discriminating reasons (race,, gender, religion, color of hair etc.).

For sure

I think it was two years ago I saw a few plays from Ford that really raised my eyebrows but he didn’t take the next step last year like I thought he would
ford doesn't have the dawg in him. i just don't see it. silvera has it some of the time, willis had it ALL OF THE TIME. Ford, not so much. I think that's what he's lacking and that isn't teachable. you have it or you don't have it.

Wolfpack are going to be a tough out. They played us tough without their quarterback who’s pretty dam good.
From PFF preview:

NC State might be a little underrated from an offensive perspective heading into 2021. Starting in the trenches, they have one of the most well-rounded centers in college football in Grant Gibson and one of the best run-blockers overall in Ikem Ekwonu. They’ll be opening up lanes for running back Zonovan Knight, who is the most valuable returning running back in the ACC based on 2020 PFF WAA generated. The receiving unit is oozing with potential. Wide receiver Emeka Emezie is coming off a latecareer breakout year, and former walk-on Thayer Thomas reclaimed the play he flashed back in 2018. Those two are both among the five most valuable wide receivers returning to the ACC based on 2020 WAA. Not to mention, they also have 2020 four-star true freshman Porter Rooks coming off a productive season as a reserve. Starting quarterback Devin Leary looked like a new man in the four games we got to see from him in 2020, too; he had at least four big-time throws in all three games he started. The defense isn’t anything to brag about, but if this offense can reach its full potential, the over-6 wins looks likely to cash.

Emezie is a beast. I didn't know his name prior to last year, but when I watched them he jumped off the screen. Big body WR with good hands & catch radius.

Advertisement

Look, I'm fine with Avantae coming back if all requirements have been met and all i's and t's have been dotted and crossed.

But I would also point out that Avantae IS a UM student and there IS a UM disciplinary hearing panel that MIGHT have jurisdiction. The fact that the girlfriend was not a student wouldn't matter if the incident took place in university housing (and I am not sure that is the case, I'm just saying that COULD be a factor that gives UM the ability to adjudicate the situation). In other words, you can't invite a non-UM student to campus, then get involved in an altercation, and then claim immunity because the victim is not a UM student. Again, I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just giving an example.

As for "actual factual evidence", there is a big difference between what an Assistant State Attorney takes into account, and what is allowed in (what is essentially) a civil matter. UM disciplinary cases do not follow the Federal (or state) Rules of Evidence. From my time as an undergrad, I can tell you from firsthand experience that evidence is presented in disciplinary cases that would be heavily challenged in criminal court. And one of my best friends at UM Law was the advisor to the Honor Council for 2 years (a disciplinary panel that focuses solely on academic misconduct issues). When the Honor Council was first introduced at UM, there was no provision for the accused to have counsel (not sure if there is today, but I know that's how it was at UM undergrad for over a decade).

This is a true story, two VERY well-known UM football players (both who went on to play in the NFL) nearly lost their careers over a cheating situation while they were undergrads. Somehow, they got off (and if I gave you the details, you would realize that they DID cheat).

You need to enforce team rules equitably and reasonably. Obviously it's appropriate to suspend or dismiss a player arrested for multiple felonies. But now the charges have been dismissed. This is not the same thing as a failed drug test. This is a failed drug test that was later thrown out for technical deficiencies.

I also don't like the argument about the standard for finding guilt. This wasn't a judge or a jury decision, this was dropping all charges. Different situations entirely.

Again, you are not completely accurate here.

I would point out, the situation with Figueroa and Blue ALSO did not go to trial, but they were still booted from UM. The criminal justice system and the university disciplinary system are not identical and do not yield identical outcomes.

A couple of points. Concerns regarding Jalaen's ability to stay healthy were always there. Whether Phillips was very talented was never in question. Putting it all together into a complete season was the issue. That being said expecting our defensive ends to replace an All-American picked in the middle first round draft would be ridiculous. But we can expect them to be good. If the tackles are very good this year, then that is going to take pressure off our ends. I'm not sure our current group is noticeably less talented than Quincy Roche. Quincy was more of a 3-4 linebacker build and definitely under 250 pounds. The issue with our current group is they are more undersized in the 250 to 260 range. We may get more production out of our tackles in pass rush than we've seen in quite a long time. JHH and Taylor are really suited to be really effective on passing downs. I'll take one on one's with Johnson and Harvey and even with McCloud and Williams if JHH and Taylor are really good. We shall see.

Advertisement
For the Panthers sake I hope they're just blowing smoke about DJ Ivey being comparable to Jaycee Horn.

I'd have revoked his scholarship after the GT game. He's a long CB, but he's not fast.

It's really not that simple. Especially with Title IX implications.

Advertisement
Again, you are not completely accurate here.

I would point out, the situation with Figueroa and Blue ALSO did not go to trial, but they were still booted from UM. The criminal justice system and the university disciplinary system are not identical and do not yield identical outcomes.
I'm a thousand miles away. I don't know what evidence exists or doesn't exist. But they need something to justify their decision. Clearly it doesn't have to be as much as what would put somebody behind bars.

I don't get the title IX argument. That seems to be a reach.

I would think if the evidence was substantial enough the authorities would have pressed forward even without cooperation from the victim. TBD.

Seems to me, the strength of this team is vs the Pass with what we have at Striker, Safety and Corner. Concerns at LB and DE worry me against the run and is my #1 fear vs Bama that they just run for 6 -7 yds all day on us.
Oh Bama will run the ball 50+ times against us. Or at least try. According to some Bama boosters I spoke to, Nick has a penchant for being quite conservative his first few games. Add in a new QB, re-tooled OL/receivers and I totally believe their game plan is predictable.

If we don't stack the box this game (at least at the start) I don't know when we will. We need to start fast to make them feel like they need to throw the ball. Getting ahead quick is necessary. Quick 3 and outs on our part will play right into their hands. He's going to want to pound us and control the clock. We're going to HAVE to get first downs to keep the defense off the field as much as possible.

Trips is the formation for X. If he's matched up on an OLB, forget it. If a Safety has to cover a ton of distance on him, it's tough to fill that alley and make a solid tackle on a dude built like X. I'd roll him out there on trips with Harley and KSmith to one side. Layer those routes and go to work on whoever on D sucks the most.
Yes, but can a 5’8 QB seen over the OL and DL to get him the ball in the middle of the field on a consistent basis??

Many of these plays across the middle might not be doable because of Kings’ height.

Advertisement
Back