Post-camp thoughts (long)

Advertisement
We don't know if they are really good, but then we've had the same concerns almost every year. Nobody knew if Phillips could last an entire season nor make the significant jump he made. He flashed at UCLA before he got hurt, but nothing to say this kid was the best high school player in the country. I think we will good enough. I also expect us to set the edge much better under Simpson. Our ends were over committing and at times got murdered on read option.
It's true we haven't seen anything with our own eyes, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything. People who directly observed fall camp last year raved about Jaelan Phillips. People with info from sources with eyes on our practices all reported that JP15 was elite. Go look at some of DMoney's old posts leading up to the beginning of last season. This year is much different. All reports from people in the know suggest our DEs are noticeably less talented than last year's DEs. Hopefully better coaching can make up for some of that difference, particularly against the run, but our pass rush will probably take a step back this year.

Last edited:
Saban didn’t go all out for no reason.
upside down spinning GIF

Finley wasn’t the most fluid cover guy, either. That’s actually a pretty good comparison for what Carter can be, maybe with a little more thump.
if carter can carry routes 15-20 yards down the field and break up a pass i'll be shocked & ecstatic. i'm willing to keep an open mind, banda could evaluate and coach safeties and swore by amari so i still want to believe that there's something there.

Advertisement
I have posted similar stuff before, but I use the UM gym facilities. I see players all the time . I crossed paths with Amari a couple weeks ago and I was stunned at how big and physically developed he is. He almost looks like an undersized LB. I am hopeful that closer to the line we can use some of his strengths that aren't as evident if he's playing 10+ yards off the ball.

I can't stress enough how vital is to have upperclassmen in the program. It's quite a departure from what we've seen in prior years where we've had nominal junior and senior classes. Covid has been good to us!

I've been a big Hall fan since he arrived. Unfortunately, his game is sometimes limited by his reactions/processing more than his physical traits. Tough to really judge that from HS games and tapes. At times, he appears a step late to react or even hesitant - not because he's shy about contact, but seemingly because I can only presume he doesn't want to **** up. I mentioned it on a few DB reviews over the past couple years. He'll then have a really solid game and you're like "where'd that assertiveness come from?" Hope TRob and crew can get him closer to his potential.
The late in coverage part reminds me of Jamaal Carter, but JC would come down and hurt people, unlike Hall.
As I said, I hope he figures it out soon, because I thought for sure he would be all-ACC at a minimum.

Advertisement
I have posted similar stuff before, but I use the UM gym facilities. I see players all the time . I crossed paths with Amari a couple weeks ago and I was stunned at how big and physically developed he is. He almost looks like an undersized LB. I am hopeful that closer to the line we can use some of his strengths that aren't as evident if he's playing 10+ yards off the ball.

I can't stress enough how vital is to have upperclassmen in the program. It's quite a departure from what we've seen in prior years where we've had nominal junior and senior classes. Covid has been good to us!
Doing the undercover work in the gym. I like it.

We are really good at seeing guys leave just as they start to scratch the surface here. We seem to have kept some guys and it should pay off.

Lb’s aren’t nearly as concerning as de and ol. Depth is scary.

Keontra, Flagg, Cave , Steed and Brooks is way better than last year.
@Cribby @DMoney

Any chance we see some of the DTs get burn at DE against bigger o-lines like Bama? Seems we have great depth there and some of them (LT, JHH) have explosive first steps that could translate?

Good point on the age stuff. We have been hampered by early departures for way to long. Then we play a team like Wisconsin and you see the benefit of older guys. Hope it pays off for us. King coming back really helped with the buy in from everyone.

@Cribby @DMoney

Any chance we see some of the DTs get burn at DE against bigger o-lines like Bama? Seems we have great depth there and some of them (LT, JHH) have explosive first steps that could translate?
It's possible. Alabama-specific prep hasn't really started yet.

The flip side is that you also need to disrupt Alabama's dynamic passing game. If having more pure pass rushers allows you to feel more comfortable going single-high, they can help the run defense indirectly.

Advertisement
Hopefully chase smith gets moved to linebacker and James Williams is used closer to the line. Can’t have those guys in backup roles if we wanna compete for titles
I don't necessarily disagree, but I am more concerned with the skill positions. Pretty much WR and Arroyo at TE.

One guy can F up a play on defense by not knowing his assignment and cost you 6. Blown coverages, etc. Plus, the closer to the LOS you get, the more physicality you need.** JW still looks like he can add some muscle.

WRs can run the wrong route and cost you 6 the other way, but it is also a position that can let natural abilities like speed and elusiveness show. I see Fr WRs all over the country making plays every week (Rondalle Moore shredding Ohio St a few years ago immediately comes to mind). WR is also a position that (more so than others) you don't necessarily need to be in for every snap in order to get in a rhythm.

As the season progresses and coaches get to see more practice reps, then the best player should play. Bama... I can see why we would go with experience. But to me, even vs Bama, the young WRs should be in the rotation.

**L Taylor might be the exception to the rule. Get that boy on the field ASAP. If not Bama, then def within the next few games, especially vs Mich State. Lets see what he can do against the B1G uglies.**

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back