Post-camp thoughts (long)

Appreciate your balanced evals of players. First critiques of Nesta and Stevenson I've read that weren't all glowing.

Advertisement
Those are great points. This is why Im not as concerned with our issues at DE. I know Simpson will teach and develop these kids to their maximum potential.

The UNC game last year may have been the worst coaching job I have ever seen. Baker was a dead man walking after that embarrassment and so were Stroud and Rumph. With the addition of T. Rob, Bob Shoop and Jess Simpson we have literally transformed the defensive staff into one of the best we have ever had here in Miami. They will make a noticeable difference.
1988 d staff wants a word with you.
jimmy
Dave
Butch
Campo
four nfl head coaches
Ed o as grad asst.

D$ said DE are a worry and lb is weakness.. That is a big chunk of front 7 that is a issue.. Somebody needs to step up and "star" for us..
Or they can play Chase at LB, Lenny Taylor at DE/DT situational and Big Jim Williams centerfield/at los/center or outside blitz/fake rush drop into coverage. I'm concerned the DC not as wily re personnel placement as former great coaches Schnelly, JJ and Butch.

Hopefully chase smith gets moved to linebacker and James Williams is used closer to the line. Can’t have those guys in backup roles if we wanna compete for titles
Too light in the arsh right now. Part time in certain packages that are passing situations, yes, but vs a team like Pittsburgh that wants to run quite a bit, no. Not at MLB, potentially at WLB to give Keontra a breather. 1 more year in strength program and he'll be ready

Too light in the arsh right now. Part time in certain packages that are passing situations, yes, but vs a team like Pittsburgh that wants to run quite a bit, no. Not at MLB, potentially at WLB to give Keontra a breather. 1 more year in strength program and he'll be ready
Could it be any worse than what we’ve gotten out of Jennings?

Advertisement
Could it be any worse than what we’ve gotten out of Jennings?
True but we don't want to kill his confidence by putting him in a situation that's no good for em. Coaches have to get him in there but MLB is a stretch IMO. Flagg, Brooks, TAC, Jennings n Orlando FR can fight it out there...for this year. Then we play Keontra, Chase, TJ, Huff at WLB/OLB

I dont agree with Chase Smith as a MLB here...or about only 3 playable cbs.

Chase Smith if he puts on weight can possibly play Will, but keeping him at Striker for now is cool imo. The physicality is too much for alot of guys in the interior...and he would be demolished in there honestly.

Im bias to James obviously but i actually think he CAN play Safety here....If got**** Robert Knowles could end up respectable by his sr year at the spot...a guy with a WAYYYYYYYY better iq and on the field skill like James can. Ultimately i think he woul dbe a real good striker though.

**** i didnt like Keyshawn Washington as a prospect at safety and he impressed the **** out of me in the spring back there.

* Im also a BIGGGGG Balom and Kinchens guys.....those are my types in the back end.

- I feel like EVERY year we should be in the portal for a high to mid round grade DE to transfer as this defense is based off that end pressure.

-Agreed having some of these new coaches is key when it seems to be childs play at times in preparation and what some teams do to us eveb defensively in big games
The interior is a different world, no doubt. It's why it's not as easy as taking a T and making him a G etc. Some guys don't like that part of it and things happen WAY faster inside. A lot of guys don't like it, they want the space to move and react. You don't have that inside. I still want to see him tried there though. See how he reacts. Chase Smith was built in a lab for Striker role, no doubt, but I want to get the talent on the field if I can. If he doesn't take to MLB, put him back at SAM or Striker.

With James Williams, it's about making him an All-American, rather than hoping you can make Ben Simmons become a 3-point shooter. Sometimes the talent at other things is just what they should be doing...even if shooting 3's is more fun.

Didn't like Keyshawn, either. Dude will hit you though and that's something we need back there. Frankly, we are a little soft back there in that regard right now. Having an enforcer back there and someone who will hit you on special teams is always nice.

Kinchens is the guy I'm on record as saying is "my guy" of the recruits. Just have an affinity for the kid.

This defense gets guys paid. No excuse for this defense to be starting McCloud at DE. Really respect that kid for everything he has done here, but the fact remains you can't be starting a position convert as a 5th year guy at DE in this defensive scheme.

It still blows my mind we didn't back up the Brinks truck for Henry To-To when he went in the portal. He would've been a game changer here.

Advertisement
1988 d staff wants a word with you.
jimmy
Dave
Butch
Campo
four nfl head coaches
Ed o as grad asst.
Im a bit confused why they would want a word with me as that staff was incredible and obviously the best we have ever had here. Its a good thing I said that our current defensive staff is "one of the best we have ever had here in Miami."

Chase Smith at MLB is what I want to see. That length and aggression would make him a menace defending RPO’s and he’s got the foot speed to chase backside. The question, of course, is reading those A-gaps. Can he fill properly and not lose integrity? If so, get him on the field there.

Our striker covers like 55% of the time. I don’t see Carter excelling that way, but I’ve been wrong before. Coaches like him more than fans because of the smart part. Coaches love guys being where they’re supposed to be, for some reason even if they don’t finish the play.

The key to this offense this year is the guard play. Will we see improvement with the wide bodies? I believe so, but still need to see it.

A second key is having Brashard in the offense. Getting teams to respect the jet motion holds backside LB and S from killing the IZ handoff so consistently. Opens up lanes that we didn’t last year. Think Tutu and what he did for Louisville offense. Smith isn’t that type speed, but he can run like a RB.

My man D$ says, “I’m worried about DE” and then follows it up with LB is worst position. That’s four of your front seven on most plays. Not great, Bob.

We’ve got three CB’s we can play right now. Whew.

James Williams is what I expected early on. He’s not a safety at this level. Not twitchy enough and doesn’t tackle well in space. I said that on Twitter when he was a freshman in HS and he was not happy. I figured then that you had to play him as a S his freshman year to get him on campus and then move him to Striker, where he belongs. Think of how much you can condense passing windows with Williams at Striker and Chase Smith at MLB. If nothing else, I’m creating a package that gets those two on the field in passing situations. Rush the passer and condense throwing lanes.

The coaches are the biggest additions for this year. UNC exposed our defensive coaches.
Agree. I've been saying that almost as long and showed clips to that end, including from his Senior year. He's awesome when he can line up a hit from depth though. Just don't ask him to square up guys in space.

I do think he moves like a DB and has man cover skills but you may be right that it's asking too much of him as an alley player against the run.

Chase can play anywhere pretty much...I still think he's an FBS caliber WR. He has the skills to play any position it's more about how he shapes his body.

Advertisement
It's baffling that you guys think we passed on To'To when it was basically a slam dunk that he would be going to Bama or O$U. Dude is one of the best LBs in the country and picked his transfer destination as such.
Fair enough, but he wasn't the only transfer LB on the board. For a program that has made a living in transfers, it's shocking we couldn't add a single transfer LB to this class.

Advertisement
TOS prediction on WR depth chart:

Outside Receiver: Charleston Rambo, Mark Pope or Jacolby George

Outside Receiver: Keyshawn Smith, Dee Wiggins or Romello Brinson

Slot Receiver: Mike Harley, Xavier Restrepo, Brashard Smith

freal?

according to people inside the program. Frierson and Carter will likely rotate at striker and split snaps pretty close to a 50-50 split.

No. X isn’t really even a Z (field receiver). He’s a pure slot. But in 10 you can go two slots.

I also like two slots out of trips with a Y-iso for Mallory on the other side.

We can put X at FB and release him or use him as a blocker on jet sweeps.

I go back to the fact we want to play a 75-100 snaps a game. We will play eight different receivers. The starters probably playing 60 of those.

UAB- 82 snaps, Wiggins played most at 70. Next was Pope at 53.

Louisville- 66 snaps, Wiggins played 60. Pope at 56.

FSU- 89 snaps, Wiggins played 72. Pope at 65.

Clemson- 59 snaps, Wiggins at 44. Harley at 42.

Pitt- 78 snaps, Harley at 57. Wiggins at 43.

UVA- 83 snaps, Wiggins at 79. Harley at 66.

NC State- 89 snaps, Wiggins at 87. Harley at 75.

Va Tech- 89 snaps, Wiggins at 83. Harley at 81.

Duke- 68 snaps, Wiggins at 50. Harley at 40.

UNC- 61 snaps, Pope at 57. Wiggins at 50.

Oklahoma State- 81 snaps, Pope at 70. Wiggins at 63.

If anyone tells you the depth isn’t a big deal, just look at the snaps that Wiggins played. He’s barely playing right now. I’m not slamming the kid, I’m highlighting the improvement you’ve seen for that to be the case.

With a better offense you’ll only see the snaps increase, which means more receivers needed.

Even talking about Harley being the guy at WR, he only led the receivers in snaps in one game, and actually reduced his percentage late in the year, not increased it.
Lance, I really wish you would do some research, before posted all of these facts!

😂 Great stuff, I really look forward to your posts…

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back