Post-camp thoughts (long)

Chase Smith at MLB is what I want to see. That length and aggression would make him a menace defending RPO’s and he’s got the foot speed to chase backside. The question, of course, is reading those A-gaps. Can he fill properly and not lose integrity? If so, get him on the field there.

Our striker covers like 55% of the time. I don’t see Carter excelling that way, but I’ve been wrong before. Coaches like him more than fans because of the smart part. Coaches love guys being where they’re supposed to be, for some reason even if they don’t finish the play.

The key to this offense this year is the guard play. Will we see improvement with the wide bodies? I believe so, but still need to see it.

A second key is having Brashard in the offense. Getting teams to respect the jet motion holds backside LB and S from killing the IZ handoff so consistently. Opens up lanes that we didn’t last year. Think Tutu and what he did for Louisville offense. Smith isn’t that type speed, but he can run like a RB.

My man D$ says, “I’m worried about DE” and then follows it up with LB is worst position. That’s four of your front seven on most plays. Not great, Bob.

We’ve got three CB’s we can play right now. Whew.

James Williams is what I expected early on. He’s not a safety at this level. Not twitchy enough and doesn’t tackle well in space. I said that on Twitter when he was a freshman in HS and he was not happy. I figured then that you had to play him as a S his freshman year to get him on campus and then move him to Striker, where he belongs. Think of how much you can condense passing windows with Williams at Striker and Chase Smith at MLB. If nothing else, I’m creating a package that gets those two on the field in passing situations. Rush the passer and condense throwing lanes.

The coaches are the biggest additions for this year. UNC exposed our defensive coaches.

Could James Williams develop into a Mike as well in you
Thanks to DMoney for this well written summary.

Not to toot my own horn, but i predicted that James Williams wouldnt leave Miami playing safety no matter how athletic he was for a big guy. The list of 6'5-6'6 240 lb safeties in college ball is microscopic.

Happy to see strikers stepping up, which will help immensely with LB issues. In most games, there shouldnt be an issue going with a 4-1-6 look, with two striker types on the field together instead of traditional OLBs. We already have like five kids who could fill the striker role, Keontra Smith, James Williams, Chase Smith, Carter, Frierson can all do it. And Harrell is a possibility as well.

I'm big on the Ivey bandwagon. I hate how the fanbase has picked on him, it's disgusting frankly. I hope he has his haters begging for him to come back for a fifth year.

I think Roberts needs to be at end this year. That DE depth chart is scary. I hope Roberts is adaptable enough to contribute at both DE and DT. By the way, what is going on with Quentin Williams?

Can James Williams be the next Rousseau?

Advertisement
Flagg is a guy who reads his keys. He’s limited physically but he knows where he needs to be. He can be a solid starter here IMO

The problem is he should not be playing this early.

He needed to develop and adjust to the speed at this level mentally and physically. He shouldn’t be getting much pt at all until his 4th year and maybe some spot duty as a redshirt soph.

He ain’t Ray Lewis. Having to play him so early is a disservice to him and the team. Hopefully he finds a way to overcome and perform at a solid level.

Finley wasn’t the most fluid cover guy, either. That’s actually a pretty good comparison for what Carter can be, maybe with a little more thump.
But he was more so than the average LB

Finley/Carter = too stiff for safety, but may be good enough for striker. K.Smith was in the same mold, just a little thicker and better talent overall.

The interior is a different world, no doubt. It's why it's not as easy as taking a T and making him a G etc. Some guys don't like that part of it and things happen WAY faster inside. A lot of guys don't like it, they want the space to move and react. You don't have that inside. I still want to see him tried there though. See how he reacts. Chase Smith was built in a lab for Striker role, no doubt, but I want to get the talent on the field if I can. If he doesn't take to MLB, put him back at SAM or Striker.

With James Williams, it's about making him an All-American, rather than hoping you can make Ben Simmons become a 3-point shooter. Sometimes the talent at other things is just what they should be doing...even if shooting 3's is more fun.

Didn't like Keyshawn, either. Dude will hit you though and that's something we need back there. Frankly, we are a little soft back there in that regard right now. Having an enforcer back there and someone who will hit you on special teams is always nice.

Kinchens is the guy I'm on record as saying is "my guy" of the recruits. Just have an affinity for the kid.

This defense gets guys paid. No excuse for this defense to be starting McCloud at DE. Really respect that kid for everything he has done here, but the fact remains you can't be starting a position convert as a 5th year guy at DE in this defensive scheme.

It still blows my mind we didn't back up the Brinks truck for Henry To-To when he went in the portal. He would've been a game changer here.
I mentioned To‘o’to in another thread as the dividing line between the two programs. Not that we’d be on their level if we had gotten him, but that here he would’ve leveled us up and there he’s fighting for a starting job. Guys like that at positions of need end up making the detail differences between 2nd in the Coastal and getting a 2nd look from the playoff.

You think 250-260 is undersized for a college DE?
In my opinion, no. But normally, you will have a strongside guy in the 270 to 275 range. Yes, I know that really doesn't matter as much in spread formations without a tight end or h-back.

Advertisement
Lashlee said weve got 10 11 days to HOPEFULLY look better. SMH.

Stop reading coaching reports/listening to coachspeak. Not sure how many times that needs to be said. No coach in the history of the sport, 11 days from Game 1, says the team is a finely tuned machine running on all cylinders and is going to obliterate everyone. It's always "a process" and "we're learning" and "we're improving". The term "coachspeak" exists for a reason. Don't pay any attention to any of it.

Advertisement
TOS prediction on WR depth chart:

Outside Receiver: Charleston Rambo, Mark Pope or Jacolby George

Outside Receiver: Keyshawn Smith, Dee Wiggins or Romello Brinson

Slot Receiver: Mike Harley, Xavier Restrepo, Brashard Smith

****, i'm mixed about this.

I like how Pope and Wiggins are fighting for their lives just to be 2nd team.

Feel bad for Redding and Worsham, they look like they're being passed already.

Brashard Smith is interesting to me, i've seen repeated statements about his great running ability, i wonder if he ends up like our Percy Harvin. Especially next year when we might only have 4 RBs on the roster, maybe the coaches view him as a swing WR/RB, perfect for jet sweeps and runs out of the slot, and a good 5th string emergency back.

Advertisement
Less to do with his height and more to do with his hesitation.

He doesn't trust his eyes and refuses to pull the trigger on throws over the middle unless the receiver has 5+ yards of separation.

Plenty of short QBs have diced teams up throwing over the middle. They just so happen to be fearless

I am going to do a breakdown and post on this.

D’erik has no problem throwing over the middle due to height. NONE. Watch him 2018 at Houston in Brile’s run and shoot.

His problem is REPS.

His last to offensive coordinators (Briles, Lashlee) don’t emphaphasize throwing over the middle enough. He goes long stretches in both offenses running plays with no routes going there.

He is very good throwing over the middle off of run fakes(rpo/pa). His problem comes when throwing those routes on a straight drop back. I believe the discomfort is due to a lack of reps because he is asked to attack the perimeter or off a run fake so much.

Lashlee has to commit to repping those middle routes hard without run fakes. King missed those routes even when he had the throwing lane. The problem was rhythm and comfort, not vision. I have been going on and on about this because if King gets comfortable throwing those routes, we will be a top 5, if not the best, offense in college football.

Yeah I said it. King will be a Heisman finalist come December. You can take that to the bank. Whether or not he wins will depend on Lashlee.

D’erik has no problem throwing over the middle due to height. NONE. Watch him 2018 at Houston in Brile’s run and shoot.

His problem is REPS.

His last to offensive coordinators (Briles, Lashlee) don’t emphaphasize throwing over the middle enough. He goes long stretches in both offenses running plays with no routes going there.

He is very good throwing over the middle off of run fakes(rpo/pa). His problem comes when throwing those routes on a straight drop back. I believe the discomfort is due to a lack of reps because he is asked to attack the perimeter or off a run fake so much.

Lashlee has to commit to repping those middle routes hard without run fakes. King missed those routes even when he had the throwing lane. The problem was rhythm and comfort, not vision. I have been going on and on about this because if King gets comfortable throwing those routes, we will be a top 5, if not the best, offense in college football.

Yeah I said it. King will be a Heisman finalist come December. You can take that to the bank. Whether or not he wins will depend on Lashlee.
look forward to the detailed post. worth the price of my $50 a month subscription.

Advertisement

His problem is REPS.

Great take. Agreed.

Stop reading coaching reports/listening to coachspeak. Not sure how many times that needs to be said. No coach in the history of the sport, 11 days from Game 1, says the team is a finely tuned machine running on all cylinders and is going to obliterate everyone. It's always "a process" and "we're learning" and "we're improving". The term "coachspeak" exists for a reason. Don't pay any attention to any of it.
True indeed. But, the **** is still funny af.

Advertisement
Back