Post-camp thoughts (long)

So there's talent, but just as many questions on defense.The top 3 DE's are all unproven and either playing a new position, new scheme or in the case of Harvey perhaps the most gifted but pretty green particularly in light of the physicality he'll likely experience in 2 wks. Starting Mike has 1 solo tackle and is very young and limited, the other LB is promising but small and changing positions. What could go wrong? Your ace corner hasn't played much at all outside, and though reputed as an NFL talent has been beaten deep a handful of times in spring and fall camp. Your other corner is by several accounts vastly improved, but has been beaten like a drum to this point in his college career and had some obvious mental lapses. Waiting for the 'playmaking' FS to make some plays. So that's a lot of questions on defense, and is it realistic to expect most will be answered positively in two weeks? Yes, there's some premium young talent waiting to emerge, and some vet's could indeed become solid or even above average, but expecting to be competitive against the defending national champions in the opener? Who knows, maybe 'Bama has a hiccup in the 1st game with their 1st yr qb and 1st yr offensive coordinator. Hopefully so. But with questions littered throughout the defensive side of the ball, gotta think we'll be fortunate to hold our own on that side of the ball.

Advertisement
According to Miami's official site, Cave is 6'1" at 225. Is that legit? still light for an MLB but in the ball park. Brooks and Flagg are listed at 230, Keontra at 205 as a comparison.
Keontra just Said in interview last week he was up too 215-220. Cave bigger then that listed weight. Brooks looks like a beast and Flagg in better shape then last year

Hard to play D without a good MLB. Flagg reminds me of Glenn Cook, I hope he makes me look stupid. Maybe Cave?. Could Williams end up as a strong side backer, and Chase Smith in the middle next year?

He was also dead last in run stops (tackles at or within two yards of LOS) in the ACC.

He’s never made a play in his Miami career to this point. Long way to go to be more than a JAG out there.

Bradley Jennings makes more plays but misses a ton of tackles.

Cave is the guy I had hoped would take that spot. Really cannot believe we didn’t take a transfer MLB.

where have you gone Rod Mack?!?!

Advertisement
Interesting. I got banned for a week for disagreeing with folks who were excitedly comparing him to Sean Taylor.

Sean Taylor's are like Hope Diamonds -- rare. I said that about Manny Pacquiao this weekend.

They don't come around often. If Williams can be a taller version of Kenny Phillips and used at more spots around the defense, I'd be thrilled

Advertisement
Any news of quinton Williams ?
Never hear anything about him ever
With the lack of de I wonder why they don’t move him back

We have NFL guys at every level of the offense except maybe QB, weird as that is. We have NFL guys throughout the secondary and at DT and striker. Even our punter is an NFL guy, and our kicker may be as well.

Alabama is more talented, but to me the biggest differences are A.) they are a more complete team…they don’t have gaps like we do at LB and DE, B.) they have more depth, which matters less on opening day and C.) COACHING, namely they don’t commit stupid penalties like Miami always seems to

Not saying we win, but we have the horses not to get the doors blown off us right out the gate. It’s gonna cone down to Manny in the end, having the team ready to go

Sean Taylor's are like Hope Diamonds -- rare. I said that about Manny Pacquiao this weekend.

They don't come around often. If Williams can be a taller version of Kenny Phillips and used at more spots around the defense, I'd be thrilled
Dude was literally the best athlete I've ever seen on the defensive side of the ball. Those guys come along essentially never. That size, speed, instincts, aggression and fluidity and hips in a DB? It's like comparing basketball players to Jordan.

Advertisement
Dude was literally the best athlete I've ever seen on the defensive side of the ball. Those guys come along essentially never. That size, speed, instincts, aggression and fluidity and hips in a DB? It's like comparing basketball players to Jordan.

His recruiting video/montage was incredible. I truly believed he could've made the NFL at RB, Dback, WR and probably some hybrid position created just for him

Size wise there aren't many safeties you can compare him to.
That wasn't the context of the discussion.

You had some people allegedly saying maybe his ultimate position might not be safety.

You then had people calling them idiots, because ... Sean Taylor or something.

Now two weeks later you got site mainstays sayin essentially the same thing.

I didn't even toss a hat in the ring on where he'll end up ... but trying to silence legitimate discussion never leads anywhere good.

Advertisement
Y’all talk about Flagg like he was a junior last year instead of a true freshman that dealt with COVID. Is it too much to ask to give a player 2 seasons before we write them off?
This. Maybe he sucks, but evals based on his stats as a true freshman with no camp. covid, and coming off injury, is just stupid. We'll have a better idea in October.

Chase Smith at MLB is what I want to see. That length and aggression would make him a menace defending RPO’s and he’s got the foot speed to chase backside. The question, of course, is reading those A-gaps. Can he fill properly and not lose integrity? If so, get him on the field there.

Our striker covers like 55% of the time. I don’t see Carter excelling that way, but I’ve been wrong before. Coaches like him more than fans because of the smart part. Coaches love guys being where they’re supposed to be, for some reason even if they don’t finish the play.

The key to this offense this year is the guard play. Will we see improvement with the wide bodies? I believe so, but still need to see it.

A second key is having Brashard in the offense. Getting teams to respect the jet motion holds backside LB and S from killing the IZ handoff so consistently. Opens up lanes that we didn’t last year. Think Tutu and what he did for Louisville offense. Smith isn’t that type speed, but he can run like a RB.

My man D$ says, “I’m worried about DE” and then follows it up with LB is worst position. That’s four of your front seven on most plays. Not great, Bob.

We’ve got three CB’s we can play right now. Whew.

James Williams is what I expected early on. He’s not a safety at this level. Not twitchy enough and doesn’t tackle well in space. I said that on Twitter when he was a freshman in HS and he was not happy. I figured then that you had to play him as a S his freshman year to get him on campus and then move him to Striker, where he belongs. Think of how much you can condense passing windows with Williams at Striker and Chase Smith at MLB. If nothing else, I’m creating a package that gets those two on the field in passing situations. Rush the passer and condense throwing lanes.

The coaches are the biggest additions for this year. UNC exposed our defensive coaches.
I dont agree with Chase Smith as a MLB here...or about only 3 playable cbs.

Chase Smith if he puts on weight can possibly play Will, but keeping him at Striker for now is cool imo. The physicality is too much for alot of guys in the interior...and he would be demolished in there honestly.

Im bias to James obviously but i actually think he CAN play Safety here....If got**** Robert Knowles could end up respectable by his sr year at the spot...a guy with a WAYYYYYYYY better iq and on the field skill like James can. Ultimately i think he woul dbe a real good striker though.

**** i didnt like Keyshawn Washington as a prospect at safety and he impressed the **** out of me in the spring back there.

* Im also a BIGGGGG Balom and Kinchens guys.....those are my types in the back end.

- I feel like EVERY year we should be in the portal for a high to mid round grade DE to transfer as this defense is based off that end pressure.

-Agreed having some of these new coaches is key when it seems to be childs play at times in preparation and what some teams do to us eveb defensively in big games

Advertisement
Back