Portnoy post Miami-FSU game pizza review…

Whatever happened to Frankie's Pizza on Bird Road? I remember my dad taking us there in the late 70s early eighties. It was a square pie IIRC. Very good pizza. Are they still around? Anyone remember them?

Advertisement
I get that...my point overall is...I feel like some people could have the best pizza ever and say...well...it was excellent, but it ain't NYC good.

BTW... yinz ain't talking to some random CiS weirdo. I was a top food blogger in Orlando for almost 12 years, just gave it up when Covid hit, and then moved to Melbourne.

I have had some of the best Mexican food ever in Illinois,...in Bloomington/Normal to be exact...2 hrs North of ChiRaq...in Florida you can get lots of great authentic Mexican food.

When I say Mexican, im not talking about gloopy gloppy Tex-Mex either...the 2 are totally different...I've had good Tex-Mex in Chicago as well.

I've had it all and done it all except for authentic NYC pizza, so maybe some day I will venture there for it. I've had the pleasure of eating just about anything anywhere and tried stuff I never would have in a million years. I've hung out with Celebrity Chefs, did SOBEWFF for 6 years straight with over $5,000 in passes to events...drank the best bourbon, Scotch, Whiskey, Rum, Gin, Tequila...you name it.

And..YES...I am very particular about Cuban food...there is no substitute for Miami/So. FLORIDA. and Fook Tampa with their Cuban sangwich with tomatoes, Salami and lettuce...GTFO!!

I get it trust me...but I'm just saying...BRO!!!
Yinz? What are you from Pittsburgh? Is it true that when you order a salad in Pittsburgh it automatically comes with fries on it? So you're a foodie huh? That's cool as I have been in the restaurant business for a while. I see that you have a wide range of experience in trying all sorts of regional ethnic American foods and that you hang with celebrity chefs. Impressive my friend but what I really want to know is what kind of jelly you use when you make a PBJ in addition to how you go about making the perfect grilled cheese sangwich? Just a few more questions. Where would I find the best Cuban sandwich in Miami? The best Cuban restaurant in Miami? Where do I find the best Cuban bakery? Finally who makes the best pastelito de guayaba? Back when I lived in Miami(80s) La Rosa made the most incredible pastelitos de guayaba but I'm not sure if they are even still around. The answers you provide will tell me all I need to know.

PS. Are you serious about Tampa making Cuban sandwiches with tomato, salami and lettuce???? Eso esta de pinga hermano!

Last edited:
I get that...my point overall is...I feel like some people could have the best pizza ever and say...well...it was excellent, but it ain't NYC good.

BTW... yinz ain't talking to some random CiS weirdo. I was a top food blogger in Orlando for almost 12 years, just gave it up when Covid hit, and then moved to Melbourne.

I have had some of the best Mexican food ever in Illinois,...in Bloomington/Normal to be exact...2 hrs North of ChiRaq...in Florida you can get lots of great authentic Mexican food.

When I say Mexican, im not talking about gloopy gloppy Tex-Mex either...the 2 are totally different...I've had good Tex-Mex in Chicago as well.

I've had it all and done it all except for authentic NYC pizza, so maybe some day I will venture there for it. I've had the pleasure of eating just about anything anywhere and tried stuff I never would have in a million years. I've hung out with Celebrity Chefs, did SOBEWFF for 6 years straight with over $5,000 in passes to events...drank the best bourbon, Scotch, Whiskey, Rum, Gin, Tequila...you name it.

And..YES...I am very particular about Cuban food...there is no substitute for Miami/So. FLORIDA. and Fook Tampa with their Cuban sangwich with tomatoes, Salami and lettuce...GTFO!!

We could hang.

Advertisement
Anyone try that Barstool pizza One Slice?
Straight trash. Flavorless. On par with Totino's but like $6 more expensive. And I'm not a Portnoy or Barstool hater at all but it was such garbage that I thought it may have been some elaborate prank.

A foodie that's from Orlando but dropping "yinz" bombs?

You Billy Gardell or Chris Kirkpatrick of NSYNC fame? Those are the only people aside from the late great Arnie Palmer throwing around "yinz" in Central Florida!

Advertisement
I've wondered that too.

Is it the inferior quality of our water? That ovens down here do not have the history and infused goodness of ovens in CT and NY?

Those would be my theories.
NYC water is tantamount...the Coal fired, and Wood burning oven Pizzerias in NYC that are Grandfathered - in (not allowed for awhile) are also a plus...the way NYC uses their yeast measurements, and quality of flour are huge as well.

In Orlando they have Brooklyn Water Bagels...pretty good. They have a reverse osmosis water system on display in the Lobby that they use. Never had Pizza or Bagels from NY, NJ, or CT...so I can't really compare anything. Good food is good food...I get the whole NYC pizza thing, maybe its the nasty *** Hudson River water that makes the dough..

I've been to Chicago and about 18 other states..all have spots with good food and Pizzas...just depends on your preference.

Like others and myself included have said..the Original Bizzarro in Satellite Beach is pretty dam good. Until I go to NY and try some real deal *****...it all seems like a bunch of whinging from NYC people.
You think NYC gets it's water from the Hudson??....C'mon man....Niagara Falls supplies it. Best outta the tap water in US....and is a substantial reason why NYC pizza is unparalleled...and their Bagels are easily #1....

I've ordered from LOCAL PIE before...usual 30-45m wait time for pick up.

So, I said wtf last night and called...

4 hour wait.

******* Portnoy Effect strikes again.
I picked up from Local Pie yesterday afternoon. portnoy's rating was pretty accurate. it is good but not the best ever or worth that kind of wait. the sauce wasn't as tasty as I like but overall pretty good.

Advertisement
Advertisement
if you say its good i would try it. just looks so **** unappealing in that video.
Haha all the YouTube comments say it looks like school cafeteria pizza or lunchables. Can’t say those visuals aren’t accurate. Dave isn’t far off by saying it’s like a really good Elios frozen pizza.

I get the pepperoni pizza — they use the good pepperoni that cups up when you cook it — and order it half baked to go. Then I finish it in the oven at home because I like it a little more well done.

Advertisement
Back