Portnoy post Miami-FSU game pizza review…

Advertisement
It is wood fire Brooklyn brick-oven pizza.
Brick oven and NY style are 2 different things. In NY the old school places use coal and not wood in their brick ovens. The newer places use wood in Neapolitan ovens, but there are thousands of places that just use gas in NY/NJ/Conn that’s the Pizza most people eat when they’re getting delivery.

Sicilian Sun in Aventura makes a nice Square Pizza, they call it Grandma Style. I got it well done with Pepperoni last time I was down for the GT game. They use a wood burning oven.
F908FA16-CE9B-4B40-90DD-89E58B338E72.jpeg

Advertisement
I’m from NJ originally where good pizza is a dime a dozen. Best pizza in Miami IMO is Pizza Tropical in Wynwood. Mister 01 is good but can be on the greasier side sometimes. Frankie’s has the best crust out of anyone. As someone mentioned, Casola’s is on the doughier side and light with the sauce, but is pretty good pizza for 1 AM. Harry’s and Stanzione 87 are really good gourmet options. Big Cheese and Miami’s Best are just ok. Blocks Pizza Deli in Miami Beach is underrated. Spris is overrated.

speaking of melbourne, in indialantic beach, there is Original Bizzarro, one of the best i've ever had.

Yes. The original Bizzarro is still the shizz! Still Ca$h only, but I hit them up every couple of months when in the area..love the pizza and Garlic Knots.

that was my go-to when i was living in the grove a few years ago.

for fancy pizza, harry's makes a really good kale pizza. sounds lame but it is delicious.

racetrak has the best pizza
I mean for Convenience store cheap *** Pizza.. Yes.. its awesome. Hands down best Convenience store Pizza ever. I indulge once or twice every 2 weeks, plus empanadas aint bad either !

Advertisement
I’m from NJ originally where good pizza is a dime a dozen. Best pizza in Miami IMO is Pizza Tropical in Wynwood. Mister 01 is good but can be on the greasier side sometimes. Frankie’s has the best crust out of anyone. As someone mentioned, Casola’s is on the doughier side and light with the sauce, but is pretty good pizza for 1 AM. Harry’s and Stanzione 87 are really good gourmet options. Big Cheese and Miami’s Best are just ok. Blocks Pizza Deli in Miami Beach is underrated. Spris is overrated.
I haven't had Pizza at Casolas in a while, but their subs are still awesome...especially at 2 to 3 am and they deliver still. When we hang at our friends house in the Gables, we get subs and garlic knots from Casolas and usually walk up the road to Flanigans...to grab some Rib Egg Rolls...that is the shizzle!

Sicilian Sun in Aventura makes a nice Square Pizza, they call it Grandma Style. I got it well done with Pepperoni last time I was down for the GT game. They use a wood burning oven. View attachment 174392
You ever had Jets Pizza? For chain, not bad at all. They specialize in Detroit Style Square Pan Pizzas...really good. Use to hit them all the time in Orlando, sadly none in Brevard County.

Advertisement
Local pie pizza is delicious. I recommend it.
i am frequently in that area. have to try it. currently my go to place is gaetanos right off us1 near pinecrest. definitely recommend it if you like a no frills jersey style thin crust and sweet sauce. the guy used to own a few cassolas if i recall.

Advertisement
speaking of melbourne, in indialantic beach, there is Original Bizzarro, one of the best i've ever had.

My wife is from satellite beach. Haven't been in a few years but never missed a visit when we went. Slices the size of your head.

I hate to say it and I'm not gonna say the two are comparable,but casolas has fallen on some hard times themselves. Used to love that spot. Went like 4 times a week. But now ehh. I'll stick with Steve's or even big cheese over them.

Biggest fall from grace as been Miami's Best Pizza.

Nowhere near the spot it was before it moved over to Ponce from the old location. Once they lost their magical pizza oven—that had been around since the 70's, when they were an OG Little Caesars—their pie has turned to slop and they seem more concerned with selling merch than firing out good pizza.

Biggest fall from grace as been Miami's Best Pizza.

Nowhere near the spot it was before it moved over to Ponce from the old location. Once they lost their magical pizza oven—that had been around since the 70's, when they were an OG Little Caesars—their pie has turned to slop and they seem more concerned with selling merch than firing out good pizza.
we order from there one or twice a month. to make that pizza edible (and most other pizzas)(dave portnoy concurs) it needs to be well done, otherwise it is at the level of dominoes or little cesar.

I mean for Convenience store cheap *** Pizza.. Yes.. its awesome. Hands down best Convenience store Pizza ever. I indulge once or twice every 2 weeks, plus empanadas aint bad either !
I might be one of the only ones who think this but Chuck E. Cheese is not bad in tne misc. category It’s not good Italian pizzeria or brick oven style but it’s not bad. if you happen to be doing the daddy thing might as well eat some decent pizza.

Advertisement
Back