Portal Destinations

Advertisement
All I needed to see was that the kids WE GOT from the portal are far better and more reliable than the kids Manny left us. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So are the kids Mario recruited.

Let's how Thad and company turn out when they leave.

You can't run from yourself.
You know alot more about the local scene so I ask this question to get yours (and others) genuine thoughts. Do you think that the traditional reliance on a roster mostly stacked with south florida kids works? Or should we bring the ratio down a bit? The reason I ask is that there seems to be issue with some of the kids lately and the work ethic or focus. Also others are questioning whether some of the players are being prepared well enough in high school or come in too raw and with bad habits. So do we bring down the percentage a bit and do a more selective roster build. The big players are getting 3-4 players from florida and maybe 1-2 great ones from south florida.

Mario is alot more of a country wide recruiter so maybe this will happen anyway.

Stay away from the weight room
1669172868390.gif

Going to a lower level school is not always indicative of your level of talent. There are various reasons why a guy with the talent to play at a power 5, decides to go elsewhere. On the flip side, you have guys like Cager who go to a higher level program like UGA.

“It’s a blessing to be here,” Francois said after Friday morning’s practice. “Coming to a smaller school like this, it gives me a chance to focus.

“I was in the spotlight at Florida State, but coming to Hampton, it gives me the opportunity to be in a more family-oriented program. In a smaller atmosphere, I can focus on my schoolwork and stay out of trouble.”

I hear u, but nah bruh. Lol. And Francois is not the best example to use; w/ the baggage he had, no FBS school was touching him. He’s fortunate for this opportunity.

Last edited:
Over the past 15 years, we've had lots of transfers. Most of them just arent good football players.

Maybe 1 (Arthur Brown) ended up becoming the guy he was supposed to be. Under a handful equaled what they did here. A few ended up being decent mid-tier G5 or FCS starters

A zebra doesn't change its stripes.

We had guys like Mark Pope STARTING for us...he has one (1) catch at the FCS level. Dee Wiggins, another starter was pass catcher 4 or 5 for Louisville before injury...a team with a Central Arkansas transfer as their WR1. We've had so many Pope n Wiggins types in every room, its wild.
**** I had no idea about Pope. That’s a mic drop right there.

The same applies for the pros too. I remember this happening to the dolphins. They cut a player or two that was starting or significant contributors and no teams ever picked them up and they were out of the league.

Advertisement
Over the past 15 years, we've had lots of transfers. Most of them just arent good football players.

Maybe 1 (Arthur Brown) ended up becoming the guy he was supposed to be. Under a handful equaled what they did here. A few ended up being decent mid-tier G5 or FCS starters

A zebra doesn't change its stripes.

We had guys like Mark Pope STARTING for us...he has one (1) catch at the FCS level. Dee Wiggins, another starter was pass catcher 4 or 5 for Louisville before injury...a team with a Central Arkansas transfer as their WR1. We've had so many Pope n Wiggins types in every room, its wild.
I see TAC has managed one assisted tackle on the year for wvu lol Another great LB eval by manny

It’s like buyer beware, a lot of times look at what I’ve seen from the start and step back hmmm we don’t need to insert this into our team.

A positive example is Parrish every time he had a chance to play while on other teams Parrish gave ultimate effort .
He knew if he performed at his best and didn’t walk of practice and poor me it would eventually pay off.

It’s hard to peddle poor me complaining attitude it just won’t work.

If you were an employer and in job interview would like a player crying putting down his team?

Some D-II or III wil pick them up for some reason I can’t think of.

Last 3+ years show that the majority of our transfers out resulted in addition by subtraction. We massively traded up via the portal. I'm not sure there is one guy I wish had stayed. Maybe Patchan.

2023 so far: Clarke to Missouri. Done nothing so far.

2022: Daz Worsham to Auburn, Troutman to court (charges dropped but no one picked him up), Cameron WIlliams not picked up, Cody Brown to UVA, Cave to West Virginia, Larry Hodges not picked up (247 has him at MTSU but he never made it), Nesta to Arizona State, Gaynor to UNC, Gurvan Hall to Utah State, Mark Pope to Jax State then to portal and not picked up, Bradley Jennings to Indiana, Quentin Williams to Marshall to Hutchinson CC -- only Nesta, Gaynor, Hall and Jennings did something at their respective new programs.

2021: Holley to Charlotte, Burns to UConn, Perry to FAU, Martell to UNLV, Patrick Joyner to Utah State, Christian Williams to USF ... All these guys save Martell did something at their respective new programs

2020: Irvin II to FAU, Patchan to Colorado State, Jarren Williams to Garden City CC to retirement, Baxa to Houston, Polendy to Colorado State, Tyreic Martin to Alcorn State, Lingard to UiF, Realus George to Independence CC to to Missouri, Evidence Njoku to UCLA, Hightower to Illinois, Nigel Bethel to Colorado, George Brown (former LSU OT) not picked up ... Patchan was an impact player for CSU, Baxa still missing FGs at Houston, Hightower a #3 WR at UI, George does a little for Mizzou, Lingard flamed out.
No arguement on **** near all those points. But you ain't gotta stretch my nephew into that when it's not valid. #1 he's started the entire season, stayed healthy & is there #2 reciever. Beilima will tell you himself and does repeatedly that he wishes he had a room full of him. In a offense that is about 70-30 run he is the only constant. Isiah gets far more touches because of what they ask out of him and hes an extension of the run game in ALOT of instances. But it's nephew or Pat that carries them in the pass game. He's quietly had a very good season. You ain't gotta hate on every kid just cause they left here. Without getting into all the nonsense yet again something's are simply necessary if you aren't willing to let people steal your dream. Carry on & I'm dissapearing again...

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20221123_055629_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20221123_055629_Chrome.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20221123_055832_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221123_055832_Chrome.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 126
No arguement on **** near all those points. But you ain't gotta stretch my nephew into that when it's not valid. #1 he's started the entire season, stayed healthy & is there #2 reciever. Beilima will tell you himself and does repeatedly that he wishes he had a room full of him. In a offense that is about 70-30 run he is the only constant. Isiah gets far more touches because of what they ask out of him and hes an extension of the run game in ALOT of instances. But it's nephew or Pat that carries them in the pass game. He's quietly had a very good season. You ain't gotta hate on every kid just cause they left here. Without getting into all the nonsense yet again something's are simply necessary if you aren't willing to let people steal your dream. Carry on & I'm dissapearing again...

Apologies D for saying he is #3 if he’s #2. I saw the last couple of UIL games on TV and he wasn’t so active so my mistake. I wasn’t intentionally calling him out just trying to be fact based. He seems to have done well. And we definitely could have used him this year before Porter emerged, Ladson started to come on and TVD went down. He may have been our #1 for A&M.

Advertisement
Hopefully Mario doesn’t overanalyze the portal like this thread is…see player of need, get player of need…repeat.

Doesn’t matter where they came from. There will be players from Buffalo, Lackawanna, UCLA, WV that help us…

Every school uses the portal, every school loses players to the portal.

According to CIS, he was secretly good but wasn’t getting playing time because of fAvOrTiSm

I think, like a lot of the guys that left, cave could have been good, had the natural athletic skills to be good, but never put it all together. Whether that is due to IQ or mental or injury, or lack of will … lots of oof field and character issues holding people back.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s been the same story for a long time. Everyone always wants the younger kids to play. Then they get playing time, start to struggle and everyone jumps right on the next big thing.

Example: When Richt was still here, all the fans were screaming for him to bench Lawrence Cager and Darryl Langham so the kids (Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins) could get some playing time. Then once those guys took over, everyone complained that they needed to bench them for the next batch of freshmen. Now those freshmen are older and everyone wants them benched for the next big thing.
DTP you have violated the first law of CIS: Thou shall not post anything that remotely makes sense …

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back