Portal Destinations

All I needed to see was that the kids WE GOT from the portal are far better and more reliable than the kids Manny left us. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So are the kids Mario recruited.

Let's how Thad and company turn out when they leave.

You can't run from yourself.
But you’re speaking too much truth! The kids on the team we look at and are excited about are mostly Mario’s guys. And underclassmen. People don’t wanna see that

Advertisement
It would be very interesting to what teams they go to.
It doesnt matter where they go. Anyone can get bamboozled.

What matters is how they perform. We have a long list of players that dont perform to standard elsewhere either, We dont have a laundry list of Jameson Williams or Kyler Murrays floating around CFB. We got a bunch of replacement level players or worse. Sad reality when it comes to our "talent".

Advertisement
But you’re speaking too much truth! The kids on the team we look at and are excited about are mostly Mario’s guys. And underclassmen. People don’t wanna see that
It’s been the same story for a long time. Everyone always wants the younger kids to play. Then they get playing time, start to struggle and everyone jumps right on the next big thing.

Example: When Richt was still here, all the fans were screaming for him to bench Lawrence Cager and Darryl Langham so the kids (Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins) could get some playing time. Then once those guys took over, everyone complained that they needed to bench them for the next batch of freshmen. Now those freshmen are older and everyone wants them benched for the next big thing.

Of course there are a few exceptions, but what's been very odd (and probably telling?) is that almost everyone who has left this program, either transfer or even as far back as decommits, have generally done nothing at their new destination.

Again, yes there are exceptions, but go back 10 years and list all the kids who either decommitted and/or transferred.

I'll bet you 80% of them turned out to be total busts.

It's almost uncanny.

Advertisement
One thing we are going to find out very quickly is how our roster is valued by other coaches. If we see a bunch of guys in our soon to be mass exodus end up at prominent P5 programs or if we see them go to bottom feeder P5, G5 or FCS programs will be extremely telling. If you are in the crowd of "we have the talent and the coaches suck" the market will support that if that talent ends up with opportunities on a better teams/programs. If you are in the "we don't have the talent and the coaches are doing what they can with it" then your stance will be validated if these guys end up at inferior teams/programs.

Part of our issue the last 15 years is having coaches on staff that better teams/programs wanted. M D'Onfrio, J Richt, P Williams, J Patke, E Banda, B Baker etc all downgraded to jobs or programs. Very few of our coaches in that period were courted by superior programs and the same goes for the mayhem in less than a week. The market will dictate how others see our current roster by where they end up. Personal prediction: the majority of this roster will downgrade because they aren't Miami material
Some will go to smaller schools like FAU. Others will go to second tier schools like Illinois. I doubt you find anybody ending up at say the Alabama's of the world. Hopefully Mario can poach some big time guys in the portal like from Tex A&M or find more Colbie Youngs from smaller schools.

Do these guys think they're better than they are and the coaches/system is holding them back or do they realize they're not that good or don't want to put in the level of work Mario is asking for?
The coaching scheme is the first problem for me. I don’t think they even cared to try to maximize the talent type they have.

But we’re also going to see - at least to some extent - how good these guys are perceived to be on their own abilities/potential from other coaching staffs based on interest they get.

Of course there are a few exceptions, but what's been very odd (and probably telling?) is that almost everyone who has left this program, either transfer or even as far back as decommits, have generally done nothing at their new destination.

Again, yes there are exceptions, but go back 10 years and list all the kids who either decommitted and/or transferred.

I'll bet you 80% of them turned out to be total busts.

It's almost uncanny.
I'll take the OVER and declare an official free money alert on that wager.

Advertisement
Haye gone

We need DTs man…

He’s a redshirt freshman. That doesn’t make any sense unless he didn’t fit from a size standpoint to the D they want to run. He couldn’t have expected reps that early over the guys in front of him.

Advertisement
If you're getting 10% or less of the teams snaps, I can assume you're likely shopping your services elsewhere. Haye was more of a Manny defense kind of player that was a long developmental type of guy anyway. Just not big enough for what Mario will want on defense without anything else to discuss.
Some kids don’t deserve 10% bc they need time to develop. Changing teams won’t change that bc it’s a new system system you need to learn and new coaches you need to win over and bond with. It’s why so many transfers don’t work out.

Starting over in life can work bc you’re playing the long game. Starting over in college sports is a risk bc there is no long game, everything is short. You have limited eligibility and if you don’t make a mark quick, you get passed over by another kid chasing the same dream.

That said, I never heard anything negative about the kid, so I wish him the best!

Over the past 15 years, we've had lots of transfers. Most of them just arent good football players.

Maybe 1 (Arthur Brown) ended up becoming the guy he was supposed to be. Under a handful equaled what they did here. A few ended up being decent mid-tier G5 or FCS starters

A zebra doesn't change its stripes.

We had guys like Mark Pope STARTING for us...he has one (1) catch at the FCS level. Dee Wiggins, another starter was pass catcher 4 or 5 for Louisville before injury...a team with a Central Arkansas transfer as their WR1. We've had so many Pope n Wiggins types in every room, its wild.

Woah

Some kids don’t deserve 10% bc they need time to develop. Changing teams won’t change that bc it’s a new system system you need to learn and new coaches you need to win over and bond with. It’s why so many transfers don’t work out.

Starting over in life can work bc you’re playing the long game. Starting over in college sports is a risk bc there is no long game, everything is short. You have limited eligibility and if you don’t make a mark quick, you get passed over by another kid chasing the same dream.

That said, I never heard anything negative about the kid, so I wish him the best!

I do not disagree with anything you said.

He just wasn't playing for whatever reason. I can see why not when you look at what Mario and Salavea usually like in their iDL.

Advertisement
Back