Portal Destinations

ball915

All-American
One thing we are going to find out very quickly is how our roster is valued by other coaches. If we see a bunch of guys in our soon to be mass exodus end up at prominent P5 programs or if we see them go to bottom feeder P5, G5 or FCS programs will be extremely telling. If you are in the crowd of "we have the talent and the coaches suck" the market will support that if that talent ends up with opportunities on a better teams/programs. If you are in the "we don't have the talent and the coaches are doing what they can with it" then your stance will be validated if these guys end up at inferior teams/programs.

Part of our issue the last 15 years is having coaches on staff that better teams/programs wanted. M D'Onfrio, J Richt, P Williams, J Patke, E Banda, B Baker etc all downgraded to jobs or programs. Very few of our coaches in that period were courted by superior programs and the same goes for the mayhem in less than a week. The market will dictate how others see our current roster by where they end up. Personal prediction: the majority of this roster will downgrade because they aren't Miami material

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’ve thought the same thing. Will be really interesting to see where guys land. I bet many will go to programs similar to us or lower.

Going to a lower level school is not always indicative of your level of talent. There are various reasons why a guy with the talent to play at a power 5, decides to go elsewhere. On the flip side, you have guys like Cager who go to a higher level program like UGA.

“It’s a blessing to be here,” Francois said after Friday morning’s practice. “Coming to a smaller school like this, it gives me a chance to focus.

“I was in the spotlight at Florida State, but coming to Hampton, it gives me the opportunity to be in a more family-oriented program. In a smaller atmosphere, I can focus on my schoolwork and stay out of trouble.”

Advertisement
You tryin too hard fam

Where is the poRster who had the brilliant idea to set up a poRster portal?

I wonder if the supposition of this thread could be applied to that poRster portal fantasy?
It’s actually a more focused slant on an aspect of it and I think accurate as to interpretation. While some kids could make choices for lesser schools, what’s more telling is who they have offers from.

The existing portal thread is pretty cluttered. I think these threads could get merged but it’s an interesting discussion point.

Over the past 15 years, we've had lots of transfers. Most of them just arent good football players.

Maybe 1 (Arthur Brown) ended up becoming the guy he was supposed to be. Under a handful equaled what they did here. A few ended up being decent mid-tier G5 or FCS starters

A zebra doesn't change its stripes.

We had guys like Mark Pope STARTING for us...he has one (1) catch at the FCS level. Dee Wiggins, another starter was pass catcher 4 or 5 for Louisville before injury...a team with a Central Arkansas transfer as their WR1. We've had so many Pope n Wiggins types in every room, its wild.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One thing we are going to find out very quickly is how our roster is valued by other coaches. If we see a bunch of guys in our soon to be mass exodus end up at prominent P5 programs or if we see them go to bottom feeder P5, G5 or FCS programs will be extremely telling. If you are in the crowd of "we have the talent and the coaches suck" the market will support that if that talent ends up with opportunities on a better teams/programs. If you are in the "we don't have the talent and the coaches are doing what they can with it" then your stance will be validated if these guys end up at inferior teams/programs.

Part of our issue the last 15 years is having coaches on staff that better teams/programs wanted. M D'Onfrio, J Richt, P Williams, J Patke, E Banda, B Baker etc all downgraded to jobs or programs. Very few of our coaches in that period were courted by superior programs and the same goes for the mayhem in less than a week. The market will dictate how others see our current roster by where they end up. Personal prediction: the majority of this roster will downgrade because they aren't Miami material

Every portal player from our offense could transfer to Bama or UGA and it still wouldn't change the fact about our Gattis led unit, would it?

Over the past 15 years, we've had lots of transfers.

Maybe 1 (Arthur Brown) ended up becoming the guy he was supposed to be. Under a handful equaled what they did here. A few ended up being decent mid-tier G5 or FCS starters

A zebra doesn't change its stripes.
Would be an interesting exercise to see what level everyone thinks these guys will end up. We are either in No Talent or We’re Stacked Bro poles.

Gattis calls an offense with the premise that he has talent. Clearly we don't have the talent or else we'd be a lot closer to looking like his Michigan offense last year. (He's been terrible with us but the point is the talent deficiency)

Advertisement
Here’s the thing. If you’re transferring because you’re third or fourth string at Miami, you’re not going to get picked up by a good team. A guy like Thad Franklin or Keyshawn Smith will likely end up at a G5 school or a low level P5 program. Alabama isn’t signing ACC benchwarmers. The real question is: what happens if a good/starting player from Miami transfers? I think TVD would be in really high demand if he entered the transfer portal. (Not that he’s going to) Even a player like Jaylon Knighton would garner a bit of attention from some P5 programs. Jake Garcia might be the most interesting candidate. He’s flopped this year but he’s looked good in limited playing time before. I could see him possibly being an impact player at another school with a more quarterback friendly offense.

As for transfers determining Miami’s talent level, that’s kind of laughable. Guys who aren’t playing and transferring aren’t really indicative of the team’s talent level. That said, some of the teams that beat us this year would likely jump on a guy like Keyshawn Smith.

It’s actually a more focused slant on an aspect of it and I think accurate as to interpretation. While some kids could make choices for lesser schools, what’s more telling is who they have offers from.

The existing portal thread is pretty cluttered. I think these threads could get merged but it’s an interesting discussion point.
Do these guys think they're better than they are and the coaches/system is holding them back or do they realize they're not that good or don't want to put in the level of work Mario is asking for?

Gattis calls an offense with the premise that he has talent. Clearly we don't have the talent or else we'd be a lot closer to looking like his Michigan offense last year. (He's been terrible with us but the point is the talent deficiency)
He calls the offense like we have the best offensive line in America like he did at Michigan during his one successful season. I’m pretty sure that nobody is going to sit here and say our line talent is even average, let alone good enough to be successful with his offense. Now our head coach and his mini-me are supposed offensive line gurus but it’s been very disappointing seeing the results so far. The line actually got worse this year and the transfers they brought from Oregon have been the worst of the group.

Advertisement
Back