Pope...

Pope was lucky Payton was out from Covid. He would have taken a lot of those snaps. The question is does Payton have to also sit out this week against FSU

Advertisement
He looks like Merton Hanks but without the swagger.

229CCBF0-6EE8-446C-9A87-1FEF3E87B39C.jpeg

Pope and mike Harley are a disappointment, We really need to give the young guys some more snaps
Pope is supposed to be electric, I have yet to see it. Several of his catches he takes the easy way out instead of making something big time happen. Harley really needs to play less.

Both these guys are going to cost us a game if they keep playing this much.

Pope and Harley each dropped two...including a TD each. Unacceptable! I’d move em down the chart. This is a trend. The contested ball in the end zone was in Popes hands...needs to own it and fight for it. To me that is his biggest issue. The other probably hit him in the nuts. Harleys first drop was a first down dime and killed drive if I recall. His gimme TD drop gave new life to birds and kept us from closing like we should.

He played worse today, he had like 3 drops and wasn’t getting open as much as pope was. Even with the drops tonight pope showed he can consistently get open and came up with several chunk plays and first downs. He would have had a big night if he caught the ball like he should have though. That will come
I hear you, but he needs to produce now. We can't wait for something that might never happen.

Advertisement
I am rewatching the game. After the 1st Louisville FG in Q1, Pope fair catches the kickoff at the 1 yard line and the officials give us the ball at the 20. (YouTube wouldn’t let me take a screen shot). WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else see that?

I am rewatching the game. After the 1st Louisville FG in Q1, Pope fair catches the kickoff at the 1 yard line and the officials give us the ball at the 20. (YouTube wouldn’t let me take a screen shot). WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else see that?
It's allowed now.

Advertisement
Pope and Harley each dropped two...including a TD each. Unacceptable! I’d move em down the chart. This is a trend. The contested ball in the end zone was in Popes hands...needs to own it and fight for it. To me that is his biggest issue. The other probably hit him in the nuts. Harleys first drop was a first down dime and killed drive if I recall. His gimme TD drop gave new life to birds and kept us from closing like we should.
These are the kind of personnel decisions thet Richt/Enos would have made. Keeping veterans playing even though they're not performing at a Miami level.

Pope is a track star, not a football player and he plays scared.

With that said, he has track star speed. That is key in football. Woulda been great if he was a football player with track star speed, but he's not. He's a track star playing football.

Still talented tho. You have to get him the ball, and he will make big plays during the year.

He was an inch on two plays from scoring twice (one being that perfect King throw to the outside, Pope caught it and barely stepped out, but if he stayed in, he had nothing but green).

That’s a fair catch that lets you start at the 25. Rule change to reduce risk of concussions on kickoffs

Advertisement
I did not know that either. I saw that and thought wtf?
But in all seriousness, if they keep it in play, and tour the KR at the U, you return that thing or let another playmaker return kicks. I’ll deal with the soft PR fair catches but the one on kickoff? Nahh man that’s where I draw the line, you scurred bruh!

Pope is a track star, not a football player and he plays scared.

With that said, he has track star speed. That is key in football. Woulda been great if he was a football player with track star speed, but he's not. He's a track star playing football.

Still talented tho. You have to get him the ball, and he will make big plays during the year.

He was an inch on two plays from scoring twice (one being that perfect King throw to the outside, Pope caught it and barely stepped out, but if he stayed in, he had nothing but green).
Mallory was a track guy too, and on that 75 yard reception that was called back he made a cut back to the middle of the field that got an extra 30 yards. Pope would have run out of bounds. He needs to start owning the play.

He catches with his chest because he lacks confidence in his hands, on pr he runs left to right , which isn’t how you return punts. You got to hit the middle and be fearless, he’s tentative.

At this point you should just prepare to say he’s a role player that’ll be a rotational guy. No need to bash him , he is what he is. Honestly I’d like to see some young guys cut into the vets pt. But I get it, first road game on National tv. Eventually it’ll be a deeper rotation.

If Pope ever does have a breakout game or works through the confidence issues he could be more than a role player. There’s talent there, just tentativeness and doubt. The mental side of the game is real.
He was one of the 1st players that needed to redshirt when he came in, if your round the way name is "noodles" that's a clue right their, but they thought they knew more than the coaches and were reading message boards. Hopefully cager sent them boys a friendly text! It easy to talk **** from the sidelines, up next, FSU time, let's see what they do, some of these players are lucky it's no crowd noise!

Advertisement
He is a bust.. Crazy because people I respect said he was truth.. Dude has 10.5 on his track books, should be a blazer, bigger and faster than tutu but he aint got it.. he play scared or something.. no juice..
I believe a lot of Florida players are highly highly overrated. 7. VS 7 isn't shot when pads are put on. Thank God for the Texas players.

Yeah, I thought I saw that. then I thought there was no way they could miss that, especially against Miami. so i moved on. Good catch.

Looks concerned about contact IMO. He's small and timid. He seems to be better once the ball is in his hands but he still isn't terribly aggressive and looks to avoid contact when possible. He's hearing footsteps on those drops.

Advertisement
Back