Pope...

Advertisement
Outside of the one drop that King dropped a dime in between coverage, I thought Pope played pretty well. I think he will get better each week.

Harley is the bigger problem in my opinion.

Just curious, can you have the same expectation of Harley since - after all - he had that one drop as well? I'm not saying you're wrong but just curious what the logic is in defending one but not the other.

Dont think its the same but with coley when he got tackled he seemed like he was soft or whatever you want to say but he would block people into the benches if he got his hands on you.. Dude was a monster blocking DBs, lol
And with Pope, he takes some hard hits and pops back up. He hot smashed on the sideline against Louisville. Softness and a lack of focus dont mix. If he doesn't improve vs FSU coaches gotta turn to the youngstas

Advertisement
Just curious, can you have the same expectation of Harley since - after all - he had that one drop as well? I'm not saying you're wrong but just curious what the logic is in defending one but not the other.

harley have multiple drops and one was for a TD that was an easier catch it should have been

Advertisement
Giving up on Pope would be a mistake.

In the last two games he’s shown just enough to justify why he’s starting. He’s made some football moves (that he could/should use on KR/PR) and catches where you have to trust that the engine will turn over. It’s not dead, it’s a cold start, but you can see that something is there.

He’s more track fast than football fast; he’s disrupted from his routes easily sometimes and Miami doesn’t seem to use rub routes as much as other teams — but … that sideline catch for a first down where he stepped out of the tackle and put his head down … he might just be a football player after all.

All that said, sometimes what opens a kids eyes is watching someone do it who can. You’d assume they’d have seen it from other CFB teams and the Pro’s, but learning sometimes doesn’t work that way; in fact, they may be still suffering from previous coaching cues.

I’d trot out Redding, Payton and Restrepo to see if the freshman couldn’t “jumpstart” the educational process for not only Pope, but Wiggins and Harley too. Again, giving up on Pope (and Wiggins) would be a mistake, imo.

Maybe if you bench Pope or Harley they’ll get the message
What message? Don’t drop passes? I’m pretty sure every single person who’s ever tossed a football around already knows that. This isn’t a disciplinary issue. It’s performance. If you’re going to bench them, it’s because you have a better option to replace them with.

Advertisement
Maybe our upperclassmen have all underachieved because prior to this year they’ve had the worst wide receiver coaches in school history. I mean if most of your work was under Dugans and Stibblefield, it’s almost like the coaches purposely retarded your progress. I mean we trash Harley, Wiggins and Pope but who’s the last good wide receiver that played here? Jeff Thomas never broke out. KJ Osborne was a 5th year transfer who got most of his coaching in Buffalo. Someone just tossed Cager a soda and he tried to body catch it and dropped it. Darryl Langham caught two passes in his career. Stacy Coley was solid but he played mostly under Golden’s staff. Berrios is the only guy I can think of and he did a whole bunch of nothing for his first thee seasons before coming up huge as a senior. Maybe let’s give Likens a chance to mold these guys a bit. They haven’t had good coaching previously. The guy has turned multiple guys into first rounders and I’m sure if he thought they were trash they wouldn’t play at all.

Edit: just for kicks, I checked Berrios’ numbers as a junior. He played in 11 games and caught 12 passes. Pope already has 5 catches in 2 games as a junior. Maybe he’ll never be a star player but he can still be a solid contributor.

Last edited:
No sense in bashing Harley any further. He shouldn't even be on the field. Not his fault. Matter of fact, I'm not gonna say anything else about the starting wr corps. I will say something about Mallory. If he worked harder he could be better than Jordan. That's all. My main issue now is what these coaches are doing. I didn't see Diaz react any June of way when those pastes were dropped. Where was the wr coach? Wtf was he doing? What's he doing now to correct this issue? Same with Diaz. Are these coaches being nice or are they doing some thing about. Idgaf if he does 10 push UPS after a drop during a game and hits the sidelines. Dudes need to weaker the *** up. This laz-a-fair attitude ****ed me right the **** off!

View attachment 130812

You post some stupid **** like Pope needs to be benched after muffing the kickoff and you actually think that requires an explanation? And then you call him soft?

According to you, the Canes were supposed to lose tonight, right snowflake? That is what you said, statistically speaking, of course.

So, your boy muffs his SECOND kick in three games, and you still want him back there fielding kicks, huh? You make Pope look like he's made of iron. Who's the snowflake?

Now, please, PLEASE show me where I said anything like Miami was supposed to lose to Louisville. If you don't understand the difference between statistically significant and implies an outcome, just go apply at Taco Bell now. Seriously dude, it's really, really sad you're this mentally inept.

Since we're just putting words in my mouth now, maybe you should stop bragging about how much your mom breast feeding you turns you on.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back