POLL- Conferences: Where Do You Want to Go?

What's your preferred destination?

• Total voters
Advertisement
The days of reckoning are here to surprise of some (but not all).

Couple quick questions for the Canes Family:

1) For those who voted "stay in/try to add teams to ACC" ... how would that work? What school with better options (i.e., B1G or S-E-C) would join the ACC? And if none would (which seems likely) and the ACC is reduced to adding "leftovers" so to speak, does that mean Miami is okay with settling for membership in a clear-cut second-tier league?

2) If the Holes go to the SEC and we don't, will they continue the annual football series with us or will they follow in the footsteps of the Turds and pull the plug?

Given that many of us see the perspective conference options differently than you do, and others are also clamoring to join the SEC, stopping with the “fit” stuff isn’t likely when talking SEC vs B1G. We are a better fit in the B1G. We may end up in the SEC - I don’t know - but we aren’t a good cultural fit there for starters and I certainly don’t think we’d be treated fairly there.

"Fit" should be the tiebreaker, if all other factors were equal.

Maybe.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's crazy, should have been the BIG 12 leftovers merging with the PAC instead of adding BYU, UCF, UC, and UH. But now it looks like the PAC leftovers will now have to merge with the BIG 12 to form a conference because more will likely follow to exit to the B1G.

Geographically the SEC makes more sense for us. Culturally, academically, etc. probably makes more sense for B1G.

The ACC has never supported us, so they can eat a d!ck, the bias is there and that's not a tin foil hat observation.
Yes, and the Canes have really held up their end of the bargain as well. It doesn't matter, find a landing spot to stay in big time college football.

I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

The days of reckoning are here to surprise of some (but not all).

Couple quick questions for the Canes Family:

1) For those who voted "stay in/try to add teams to ACC" ... how would that work? What school with better options (i.e., B1G or S-E-C) would join the ACC? And if none would (which seems likely) and the ACC is reduced to adding "leftovers" so to speak, does that mean Miami is okay with settling for membership in a clear-cut second-tier league?

2) If the Holes go to the SEC and we don't, will they continue the annual football series with us or will they follow in the footsteps of the Turds and pull the plug?
1. The only way it works is if you get a credible forecast that the addition of say ND, Penn State, and other big name schools would bring a TV contract that would be competitive with the Big 10 and SEC money out there. Extremely unlikely, but it's the only way you could get a big fish from the Big 10 or SEC to leave. If no big fish will come, you leave the ACC because Miami should not be okay with being in a second-tier league.

2. The Holes probably would keep Miami as an OOC rival if they go to SEC and Miami does not. They could have ditched Miami when they went the ACC route in the early '90's but kept it on.

I don't think the B1G or SEC want us. Big state universities are their primary targets. Prolly a number of ACC progams they'd desire ahead of us.

Thankfully, our school is located in a big city/media market and now has a big name HC, or we'd truly be screwed.
They might want SMU/TCU before Miami.

Your mileage may vary.

Advertisement
Save ACC: would be what the dude already said (American Coastal Conference or BCC Big Coastal Conference). would have to add ND, Oregon, Washington, Stanford and/or maybe a Baylor

Outside of that, SEC would F* us on purpose and take FSU/Clemson, just to leave us out on our own...

Big10 is only other option..

Advertisement
2. The Holes probably would keep Miami as an OOC rival if they go to SEC and Miami does not. They could have ditched Miami when they went the ACC route in the early '90's but kept it on.

IMO, apples and oranges, Cane brotha.

When the Noles joined the ACC (and we were the Big East) in '91, they absolutely needed Miami on the schedule to sell tickets considering the lack of interest many FSU fans had (and still have) in most ACC schools.

If the Noles get in the SEC, marquee TV games and selling tickets when they've got SEC schools coming to Trailerhassee won't be the same sort of issue.

Part 2 of that equation is that we can fully expect the SEC to try put the freeze on a UM led by CMC and John Ruiz — and no better way to get that started than to stop playing the Canes in non-conference (minus the already scheduled games). FSU would certainly fall in line with that "policy" coming from the league office in Birmingham.

This could potentially work but I think you'd need to build a brand new conference similar to what the AAC did in order to make that happen. No one is joining the ACC, Big 12, or Pac 12 because of their existing/looming horrible contracts.

No school will join the ACC with that TV contract.
Big 12 lost 50% of their value with Oklahoma and Texas leaving w/ the Pac 12 probably seeing something similar. They'll have no leverage in their next negotiation which I think is coming up here over the next 24 months.

Idk the legalities of it all but if there's a way to just blow it all up and start a new conference by combining the remaining programs then maybe you can salvage something. But you'd need Clemson, Notre Dame, Oregon, Miami, FSU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Washington, and others to not bolt to other conferences.

Even with that though I think that new conference would just become the new AAC. The path to the playoffs is very narrow.

I don't know what the contract says, but I highly doubt ESPN would get to pay the same amount if the acc added a bunch of new teams, including a school with one of the largest fanbases in cfb. If the acc expands, I think the new ACC Commish will have a golden opportunity to redo the contract with more favorable terms.

IMO, apples and oranges, Cane brotha.

When the Noles joined the ACC (and we were the Big East) in '91, they absolutely needed Miami on the schedule to sell tickets considering the lack of interest many FSU fans had (and still have) in most ACC schools.

If the Noles get in the SEC, marquee TV games and selling tickets when they've got SEC schools coming to Trailerhassee won't be the same sort of issue.

Part 2 of that equation is that we can fully expect the SEC to try put the freeze on a UM led by CMC and John Ruiz — and no better way to get that started than to stop playing the Canes in non-conference (minus the already scheduled games). FSU would certainly fall in line with that "policy" coming from the league office in Birmingham.
I just don't see FSU giving Miami up as a rival. They have Florida and Miami. Some could argue ND, but it was never an annual rivalry.

Florida has FSU, but also Tennessee and Georgia.

Advertisement
Back