PODCAST: Regular Season Wrap-up ft. ESPN's Steve "K9" Kim, D$ and Austin Pfenninger

Mark this down and bump it when I’m right: Our defense will take a big dive next year. Diaz puts a ton on his Safeties, and we’re losing 2 veteran starters who played the majority of the game. Willis will also be a huge loss because he ate up blockers and disrupted offenses up the middle.

Been saying this since last year...the lack of recruiting on the lines is going to catch up with us.

Miami got lucky with Gerald Willis being so good. You're basically asking Nesta Silvera to step in and be an All-American player as a sophomore to duplicate what Miami did on the DL. Miami's defensive success is predicated on that interior disruption. Without it, its going to take a massive step back.

Couple in the loss of two All-ACC caliber safeties, and its a wrap.

Advertisement
Been saying this since last year...the lack of recruiting on the lines is going to catch up with us.

Miami got lucky with Gerald Willis being so good. You're basically asking Nesta Silvera to step in and be an All-American player as a sophomore to duplicate what Miami did on the DL. Miami's defensive success is predicated on that interior disruption. Without it, its going to take a massive step back.

Willis is an all world dt we get that. With this system guys are going to be productive regardless. Silvera was the #2 dt in the country and he has a lot of talent, he has the talent to step up big time.

In 2017 on the backend we replaced 2 starting safeties and the defense was still pretty good. It’s not the Miami of the past few years where there was a drop off in talent in the backups especially at db. Don’t forget the 2018 db class was the most talented db group Miami signed in over 10 years, they will progress. We have good db coaches and imo we are going to be more than alright

Great point on losing the defensive starters. Def going to have a huge impact

Who will replace them?

Gerald Willis -

1. Nesta - really didn't get enough playing time this year IMO, but has the talent and hopefully will dominate in the Spring and fill in nicely
2. Pat Bethel - very solid player this year. Can he take his game up a notch and become more of a disruption like we saw with Willis this year and Mcintosh last year, allowing Nesta or Ford to be more of plug like Norton was?

Joe Jackson -

1. Greg Rousseau - through the roof potential. If he puts it together, there will be no drop off from JJ

Jaquan Johnson -

1. Amari Carter - played well this year, especially the last few games. Can he take the next step and become a full time Safety? Jaquan was so good there's no way we don't see some sort of drop off here
2. Gilbert Frierson - Does Frierson move to Safety? IMO I think he could flourish as a FS type

Sheldrick Redwine -

1. Gurvan Hall - same as Nesta, IMO didn't play enough this year. Staff played Knowles instead (sigh). Really need a big off season from him. Redwine played great this year, but IMO Gurvan has more potential
2. Tyrique Stevenson - If we land him

Michael Jackson -

1. Trajan Bandy - best corner we've had in a while
2. Which Sophomore CB will take the next step - The talent is there. Huge off season for Rumph to show if he can develop it
- DJ Ivey
- Al Blades
- Gilbert Frierson
- Nigel Bethel

Who will replace them?

Gerald Willis -

1. Nesta - really didn't get enough playing time this year IMO, but has the talent and hopefully will dominate in the Spring and fill in nicely
2. Pat Bethel - very solid player this year. Can he take his game up a notch and become more of a disruption like we saw with Willis this year and Mcintosh last year, allowing Nesta or Ford to be more of plug like Norton was?

Joe Jackson -

1. Greg Rousseau - through the roof potential. If he puts it together, there will be no drop off from JJ

Jaquan Johnson -

1. Amari Carter - played well this year, especially the last few games. Can he take the next step and become a full time Safety? Jaquan was so good there's no way we don't see some sort of drop off here
2. Gilbert Frierson - Does Frierson move to Safety? IMO I think he could flourish as a FS type

Sheldrick Redwine -

1. Gurvan Hall - same as Nesta, IMO didn't play enough this year. Staff played Knowles instead (sigh). Really need a big off season from him. Redwine played great this year, but IMO Gurvan has more potential

Michael Jackson -

2. Which Sophomore CB will take the next step - The talent is there. Huge off season for Rumph to show if he can develop it
- DJ Ivey
- Al Blades
- Gilbert Frierson
- Nigel Bethel
Good write up
However imo There’s nothing rumph needs to show that he can develop in terms of coaching cornerbacks. He’s really good at it and our cb play has been one of the few strengths for our team for 3 straight years and has gotten better every year he’s been here in addition to safety play with Banda overall. Rumph is now working with his most talented group yet in 2019 so it should be some great play there once again

I'm not sure if all the blame belongs on the O line. If the defense knows that on the RPO, the running back is getting the ball, it's pretty tough to block.

I dunno who asked me a dumb question about how does play calling help your OL, but I’m glad Thanksgiving just past, and I got a chance to get drunk off a football.

During the Bears v. Detroit game (Go Bears), it was mentioned Detroit changed up their play calls to help their OL. Stafford in a 2 game span was sacked 16 times. 16 in two games. The first time we played Detroit, Mack ran through their OL. So what did Patricia do to help his OL? He called for short, quick passes. Not just tunnel or bubble screens, but 3 and 5 yrd hitches, quick slants, trap runs, jet sweeps, fake sweeps RB dives. He confused us all game, and then when we thought we finally got home, he’d hit us w/ a RB screen. It was so frustrating b/c they were eating the clock and getting movement.

Stafford stayed pretty clean that whole game. Yes we won, but it made for a frustrating day for the Bears D, and they were huffing.

Our play calls puts our OL in the worst spot. They already suck, but the play calls makes it even worst. Here’s the formula to beat us:

DL pins their ears back.
LB stay base b/c there’s no middle game, so they can focus on the run game or a TE streaking.
DBs play off b/c there’s no middle game, only streaks
Safeties play two deep b/c there’s no middle game, and streaks.

Simple.

Advertisement

Who will replace them?

Gerald Willis -

Joe Jackson -

Jaquan Johnson -

Sheldrick Redwine -

Michael Jackson -

- DJ Ivey
- Al Blades
- Gilbert Frierson
- Nigel Bethel

I hope we convince JJ to stay.

Also Kaaya under MR was lethargic during hurry up. My family and I would scream at lack of urgency. We though Kaaya was mentally slow or something....two QBs later, it’s MR system..The Two Minute Sloth. Ps. Great show, thanks for awesome coverage👍

Who will replace them?

Gerald Willis -

Joe Jackson -

Jaquan Johnson -

Sheldrick Redwine -

Michael Jackson -

- DJ Ivey
- Al Blades
- Gilbert Frierson
- Nigel Bethel

Great write up. There's definitely a ton of talent, but a lot of big shoes to fill.

I'd include Shaq too - he's probably gone.

Also Kaaya under MR was lethargic during hurry up. My family and I would scream at lack of urgency. We though Kaaya was mentally slow or something....two QBs later, it’s MR system..The Two Minute Sloth. Ps. Great show, thanks for awesome coverage👍
Richt runs the revolutionary '2 minute hurry slow offense'

Advertisement
Great write up. There's definitely a ton of talent, but a lot of big shoes to fill.

I'd include Shaq too - he's probably gone.

Shaq would be a fool to leave.

His 40 time and coverage film is gonna scare a lot of teams off.

He should get his degree.

Advertisement
Might as well throw in the towel when fans, reporters, and trustees have to beg a coach to make obvious improvements.

@DMoney The difference between Kelly at ND making changes to his staff and Rick is that Brian Kelly never insisted that he was going to stick with his system. After his 4-8 season (which included a win against us!), Kelly stated he was responsible for the team's failures and lack of mental toughness. He didn't need to be strong armed by the BOT to change everything.

In total, he hired 17 new staff members in the football staff. “We failed and I failed,” Kelly told Sports Illustrated in his office last week. “I think like any successful person.… They don’t say I’m a failure. I looked at what adjustments needed to be made.”

In an unusually candid interview, Kelly didn’t just fall on the sword for the Irish’s flop last season. He belly flopped on it, using some form of the word fail nine times and consistently pointing the finger back at himself. Antithetical to his red-faced and fiery sideline demeanor, Kelly underwent a thorough and deliberate overhaul of the program.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/08/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-changes

Rick isnt going to change unless the BOT gives him an ultimatum. When you have a coach that obtuse, you are going to save yourself a lot of rebuilding time by just firing him, eating the buyout, then rolling the dice with an inexperienced innovative coach with upside that can come cheap (due to the buyout). 3 year contract- if it works, great. Lightning in a bottle. If not, in 3 years the money is freed up again to go after a big name. You will be in no worse situation than before, only you have given yourself a chance that the innovative coach does what innovative coaches have always done at Miami- win championships.

Last edited:
Might as well throw in the towel when fans, reporters, and trustees have to beg a coach to make obvious improvements.

@DMoney The difference between Kelly at ND making changes and Rick is that Brian Kelly never insisted that he was going to stick with his system. After his 4-8 season (which included a win against us!), Kelly stated he was responsible for the team's failures and lack of mental toughness. He didn't need to be strong armed by the BOT to change everything.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/08/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-changes

Rick isnt going to change unless the BOT gives him an ultimatum. When you have a coach that obtuse, you are going to save yourself a lot of rebuilding time by just firing him, eating the buyout, then rolling the dice with an inexperienced innovative coach with upside that can come cheap (due to the buyout). 3 year contract, if it works, great. Lightning in a bottle. If not, in 3 years the money is freed up again to go after a big name. You will be in no worse situation than before, only you have given yourself a chance that the innovative coach does what innovative coaches have always done at Miami- win championships.

thats the thing, history has shown when a coach is forced to make changes and not on his own volition , well, it doesnt work out well...

thats the thing, history has shown when a coach is forced to make changes and not on his own volition , well, it doesnt work out well...

And I should add- the one thing the BOT SHOULD do is fire that nincompoop AD Blake James, because it is pretty much a guarantee that if the new coach has success in his first year, James will panic and offer the coach a 6 year deal at 10x the initial salary.

Advertisement
I have more of an issue with the execution than the playcalling obviously im in the minority. The OL wasn't that good and our receivers dropped too many ball and thats when they would get an accurate pass. Players just have to get better before i start getting on the playcalling

Either way that falls on Richt.

Nobody knows what the future holds! Nobody, nobody. And that includes YOU!!!!!!! Who knows. Maybe NS will " ball out " beyond your expectations and all that.:cool:

Who will replace them?

Gerald Willis -

Joe Jackson -

Jaquan Johnson -

Sheldrick Redwine -

Michael Jackson -

- DJ Ivey
- Al Blades
- Gilbert Frierson
- Nigel Bethel

I dig your post and what not. However, I absolutely DON'T believe Miami will sign Tyrique Stevenson. Just a feeble-minded crazy notion.

Advertisement
Back