Podcast: Recruiting Finish and Austin Pfenninger

Mad respect to Austin, guys like him can only make a team better. Really interesting insight on Shirreffs/Allison and the scout team practices, especially the old Dorito methods.

Would be great to have him post now and then.

Advertisement
Loved the interview. THIS is what the U is all about. Kids who dream of only playing for the U no matter what it takes. So impressed with his drive and commitment to making his dream come true.

I know he is young, but the "hot and cold" thing about Allison sounds eerily like Kaaya. Do not want. So frustrating watching those awful misses out of nowhere.

To say you don't want someone with brad kaaya type issues is insane. Was is frustrating when he was off? Ya but come on to not want a guy for being like kaaya is absurd.

I stand by what I said. I actually like Kaaya for the most part and am not one to diss the guy, as he has been pretty good for us. However, it is pretty well established that he can be very inconsistent (most notably in crunch time, i.e. potentially game winning drives), and simply doesn't make those clutch plays.

Admittedly, he improved on that this year, and while I would never claim he was ever the sole reason for ANY loss, he consistently failed to win the big games. I'm not sure many fans would dispute that, and quite frankly, you haven't paid much attention if you would. I don't want to turn this into yet another Kaaya debate though, rather I was just making a comment regarding what he said about Allison (who may be more clutch than Kaaya, who knows at this point). Bottom line is you need consistency at the QB position.. Kaaya has been the best we had regardless, so he started. Not much more to say on that.

Last edited:
This guy could bring the insider, locker room crank perspective this site has been missing.

Advertisement
He def aint lying when he says he reads these boards. He hit on almost everything we complain about on here. lol

That insight about how Dorito ran his scout team practices made me cringe. So effing stupid.

No doubt. Seriously, pre-determining who it was thrown to? Not only is that amateur **** in and of itself, but how do you not correct the guys on defense? At the very least, even if you refuse to change your scout side philosophy, force the D to stick to their assignments instead of locking on to one guy.

Even as bad as we already knew they were, it's pretty sad that it gets even worse each time more info surfaces.

"Houston we got a problem"

I know he is young, but the "hot and cold" thing about Allison sounds eerily like Kaaya. Do not want. So frustrating watching those awful misses out of nowhere.

Ever hear of completion percentage? What QB has a 100% completion percentage?

Advertisement
Glad to hear that Cager and Mullins are either quick or fast. Both will be needed to take advantage of openings when teams double Richards. I think Berrios has regained our confidence as a receiver, PR not so much. At QB I don't so much see a drop off because the OL will be better and the remaining QB's can make movement plays that Kayaa never could have, thereby balancing out production IMO.

I checked out Austin's highlights on YouTube from the practice squad and he made some guys look silly looks like a little waterbug out there check it out for a good laugh.

https://youtu.be/LVtA5vGlpU4

tell me why this guy hasn't played more. he looks like the real deal.

Cant deny the kid was making our starters miss at times. He made a few plays against guys that will probably be playing on Sundays. Who is the scout team QB? There was some real nice placement on some of those throws.

Advertisement
that was a great podcast to listen to. loved the perspective.

i was expecting big things out of cager this year before he got hurt. kid oozed talent. hope he recovers well because he & ahmmon with berrios in the slot next year could be an extremely dangerous group.

the most frustrating thing was his description of how dnofrio ran the D practices against scout. if you didnt listen, prior to each play the Scout O ran, D'nofrio indicated which player was getting the ball. this is fine when teaching another team's tendencies, but not during the actual training. practice reps are crucial for instilling habits & fostering instincts, so that when guys get into the game, they concentrate less on remembering tasks, and instead get into a flow like state, performing how they've prepared. this is essential for any type of training. when you remove that element from practice, you force guys into having to think too much within the game & you get the types of performances that you saw for 5 years under golden & dnofrio. slow & reactionary, often out of position & getting fooled.

force them to think & fail more in practice...and you'll get a better performing group come game day.

I'm sure this was discussed, but i find it INCONCEIVABLE that D'Onof used to tell the scout team QB what receiver to throw to, and the D would cover that one guy?! Come on man.

and the part about cade weldon's athletic testing is encouraging. kid doesnt waste movement with his feet or his arm. extremely efficient. more and more, im beginning to think he might be the guy that gets us back where we belong

Advertisement
I checked out Austin's highlights on YouTube from the practice squad and he made some guys look silly looks like a little waterbug out there check it out for a good laugh.

https://youtu.be/LVtA5vGlpU4

tell me why this guy hasn't played more. he looks like the real deal.

Cant deny the kid was making our starters miss at times. He made a few plays against guys that will probably be playing on Sundays. Who is the scout team QB? There was some real nice placement on some of those throws.

Pretty sure it was Allison

Talk of the WR recruits and no mention of Thomas? Did I miss something, is he completely out of the picture now?

I'm sure this was discussed, but i find it INCONCEIVABLE that D'Onof used to tell the scout team QB what receiver to throw to, and the D would cover that one guy?! Come on man.

It was true. This was not the first time I've heard that.

Advertisement
Back