PODCAST: Manny Diaz is Miami's new Head Coach - Instant Reaction ft. D$

What decision has been made? I said I heard Ponce’s name and that they ran the ball well. I also mentioned Applewhite. Maybe both are coming, maybe neither.

If you want to listen to a negative podcast, listen to any podcast from the last two months.

With all due respect, by the time you turned negative on Richt, it was clear as day to anyone with working eyeballs that he was a washed up bum.

Manny might turn out to be Saban, but that doesn't change the fact that he has no track record as a skilled recruiter or talent developer, got chased out of Texas as DC with pitchforks because he was horrible, would not be hired at ANY other P5 as head coach, and was hired here without any search to see if a better candidate was available. Not to mention that he was overrated as a DC for the past 3 years due to our horrid schedule. His primary career accomplishment is the turnover chain gimmick, which was fun for 10 minutes and now is a joke.

Advertisement
I don’t always agree with @DMoney, and I’m not thrilled with the Manny hire, but I find your “call it like it is” command hilarious.

What you mean is “call it by having the same exact opinion I do”

Don’t be an assclown. He’s calling it like HE sees it...and I’m glad he is.

I not a hysterical menstruating female like most of the posters here, so I hope @DMoney is right and I’m wrong about Manny.

Nothing to do but go to the games and hope Manny works out.

He's a sunshine pumper. What was the point of the podcast if they aren't going to actually spend time discussing the pros and cons of some of the names that have popped up already? He talked about the guys like he would be a great hire. However, there is literally nothing to suggest that to be the case.

His primary career accomplishment is the turnover chain gimmick, which was fun for 10 minutes and now is a joke.

His accomplishment was turning around our defense, immediately.

Over the Shannon/Golden era, we finished an average of 47th in defensive efficiency. Under Diaz, we finished an average of 9th. That's changing a culture that had been rotten for a decade.

Obviously, the challenge now is to do that for our whole program. I think his mentality and approach are what we've been looking for. Let's see if he can get it done.

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic as I was with the Richt hire. One of the things that stands out to me about Diaz is he knows what a modern offense looks like because he's had to defend them. Hopefully, he takes that knowledge and experience and applies it to his offense.

My biggest take was him basically saying create a VISION on offense similar to the one he created on defense.

Advertisement

Over the Shannon/Golden era, we finished an average of 47th in defensive efficiency. Under Diaz, we finished an average of 9th. That's changing a culture that had been rotten for a decade.

Obviously, the challenge now is to do that for our whole program. I think his mentality and approach are what we've been looking for. Let's see if he can get it done.

Where were the other P5 job offers? Why did he go to Temple?

Tough crowd.

But you already know the culture here, I don’t need to tell you.

I have to be honest, I am not in favor of his hire, but I nonetheless appreciate your perspective and hope to God you’re spot on.

But this site, and social media in general, attracts malcontents who love negativity and don’t care about the program...they just want to be right so they can say “I told you so” later.

I don’t want to be right...I want Manny to prove me wrong.

If Diaz wants them gone, I’m good. Plenty of candidates to replace them.

The two positions holding us back are QB and OL. We need radical change there.
Do you think Diaz get rid of Kosi? He’s a total head case if you ask me..

Advertisement
Tough crowd.

But you already know the culture here, I don’t need to tell you.

I have to be honest, I am not in favor of his hire, but I nonetheless appreciate your perspective and hope to God you’re spot on.

But this site, and social media in general, attracts malcontents who love negativity and don’t care about the program...they just want to be right so they can say “I told you so” later.

I don’t want to be right...I want Manny to prove me wrong.

I gave the benefit of the doubt to Coker, Shannon, Golden and Richt. After 18 years I give no more benefit of the doubt to anything the administration does. The dysfunctional athletic department at UM invites malcontents and negativity because they invariably make the wrong decisions.

My default assumption is crap hire until proven wrong.

What stuck out to me is Manny is a very smart man who understands football, players and analytics. He understands Miami, how they won in the past and present day football. Now he needs to put that all together

That was a great listen. I’m cautiously optimistic for all the reasons you laid out (vision to be on the cutting edge, analytical approach, ability to adjust, leadership abilities, Miami guy with passion/energy for the job)

The big questions for me are:
Is he willing to clean house on the offensive side? I’m fine keeping Hartley and Dugans but the rest need to go.

Does he have the coaching tree/relationships to bring in a top OC?

Advertisement
I will support him and give him a chance. This was done because it was the easiest way to go.

I wouldn't have selected him but it's not my decision to make

I gave the benefit of the doubt to Coker, Shannon, Golden and Richt. After 18 years I give no more benefit of the doubt to anything the administration does. The dysfunctional athletic department at UM invites malcontents and negativity because they invariably make the wrong decisions.

My default assumption is crap hire until proven wrong.

You do you.

Like I said, I don’t like the hire, I’m also in “prove it to me” mode, but I’m not built like a whiny bltch. That shlt is for losers and fringe dwellers.

The ship has sailed on Manny, he’s it, whatever the reason. Let’s see how it plays.

I like El Jefe, I think he's a great DC but he's completely unproven as a HC.

I wish we would've at least interviewed some other candidates, but with Frenk & James running the show that's just too much work for them.

I felt we should've went after Heupel, Norvell or Babers because those guys would have transformed our offense drastically in one year, which would have us winning those games against the weaker ACC comp we should routinely dominate. Along with finally having a legitimate QB development plan in the program.

I'm willing to give Diaz a chance & see how it goes, a lot of his success will be contingent upon who he hires as an OC/QB coach & OL coach. If he sticks with the #NationwideSearch motto of just looking down the hallway & hiring the same games already on staff then he'll fail, but if he does his due diligence & actually brings in a real OC this experiment could work.

Diaz has to improve this staff, he cannot keep everything status quo & expect to win. He HAS to go OUTSIDE of Miami & bring in some real assistants, we gotta stop with this amateur hour BS of hiring nothing but bargain bin coaches.

Advertisement
Alright, after listening to you guys I’m in. Let’s go Manny! Get us #6.
people need to remember its his dream job what would u do to make sure your dream job worked out. he is gonna do whatever he can to make sure Miami is the old Miami because its the job he wanted more then any other

Advertisement
Back